iHV File Management

Other iHV File Management

Bobbyland

Reactions
Bobbyland submitted a new resource:

iHV File Management - De-duplicate, rationalize and normalize VARs, and extracted content.

Pick one or more. You don’t have to use all. Though, there are some dependencies between them.

The following script works only with VAR files
  1. RationalizeVarVersions.ps1 – remove previous versions of VAR files.
The following scripts don’t work with VAR files. Content must first be extracted from VARs for the scripts to work.
  1. RemoveVarPaths.ps1 –enable VAM to find resources that have been extracted/moved out VARs...

Read more about this resource...

Hello! Thank you for the scripts, I have a question though.
I am interested in the RemoveLegacyVars script where it moves the older version of vars into a different folder.
This way I can verify/delete the files manually that I don't need (some scenes need older versions of things like timeline etc.)

However I cannot find that script and the RationalizeVars script seems to be like it deletes/moves the older versions files to the recycle bin?

how do i execute these scripts
Glance through the .RFT document for guicance on how to setup the scripts. If you're interested in anything, it's likely the RationializeVARversions.ps1. Just drop that in the root of your VAM folder and it will build a recycle folder and move any legacy VARs into it. The other scripts are for those few who live life outside of VARs. If you're not one those, and you're not comfortable with Powershell, they'll probably not be for you.

destroyed half of the content! saved only by the fact that I had backups
Sorry to hear, I'm glad you made a backup first. There are some scenarios where this can happen. The .RFT guide shows how to use each of the scripts to get what you want. Using them any other will can lead to problems.

Hello! Thank you for the scripts, I have a question though.
I am interested in the RemoveLegacyVars script where it moves the older version of vars into a different folder.
This way I can verify/delete the files manually that I don't need (some scenes need older versions of things like timeline etc.)

However I cannot find that script and the RationalizeVars script seems to be like it deletes/moves the older versions files to the recycle bin?
Hi BP, here's a direct link to what you're looking for. It does as you say - it moves older versions of .VARs, .Zips, etc. It creates a folder in the root of your VAM install, which I call an "iHV recycle bin". It's not the actual Windows recycle bin folder, it's just a subfolder to separate the active from the legacy VARs. The script will not delete anything:

https://github.com/BoominBobbyBo/iHV/blob/main/_2a iHV_Util_RationalizeVARversions.ps1.

It also provides a .CSV (located in the iHV Recycle Bin) with all the actions taken, and shows you the master version of the file it found to justify recycling. You can restore .VARS as needed, manually, as you suggested. Moresoe, once files are moved over to the recycle bin, I suggest you keep all of them in long-term storage until you're sure that you don't need them.

I love this script, personally. And once you get it going - you will too! Good luck.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom