• Hi Guest!

This is a notice regarding recent upgrades to the Hub. Over the last month, we have added several new features to improve your experience.
    You can check out the details in our official announcement!

I need help creating a simple portal asset

Jackieboy

Reactions
I was wondering if anyone could help me. I need to create a simple portal asset for an idea I've got.
When I say portal I mean like the Valve physics puzzle game "Portal" where thing goes into portal A, and comes out of portal B. The one with Chell and GLaDOS.
Now I don't need an actual working portal in that sense, I'm sure I can fake the effect by using two or more models.
What I need is a solid colour, non see through disc of light, that looks like a portal.
Can this be made in Vam?, because preferably I would like these portals to be of different sizes, and of different colours.
I'm still quite new to using Vam and I'm really not sure what to do to get this effect.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

(btw If I've asked this question in the wrong forum please forgive me, I don't use forums very much and have never used the forums here on Vamhub)

There are a few ways to do this.
If you just want it 2D and not animated, the simple may would be to use one of the Transparent Emissive image panels. I just made this greyscale alpha backed portal so you can test it (you can then recolour and scale it however you like.
The transparent emissive panel will look lit up, but you may want to put an invisible light atom in front of it to colour the person/wall it sits on to match the colour of the portal.
Portal_D.png

Another option would be using animated particle effect cua's. Farger has some great particle Asset Bundles. There are some fire rings in the puny particles pack.

I just had another thought. The image I sent is the stereotypical oval portal from the game, but if you use a round base image, you could animate the scale x, scale y and rotation with the timeline plugin to set the portal to spin and still look oval.

Portal Round_D.png

Yeah Farger's stuff is great. I layered alot of the fire rings/swirls to make this scene.

I just had another thought. The image I sent is the stereotypical oval portal from the game, but if you use a round base image, you could animate the scale x, scale y and rotation with the timeline plugin to set the portal to spin and still look oval.

View attachment 372385
Thank you so much for your help Origin69 and atani I really appreaciate it! And thanks for the tips on the partical effects and having them spin around, I didn't think of that. I can't wait to try these out! Thanks again!!

Thank you so much for your help Origin69 and atani I really appreaciate it! And thanks for the tips on the partical effects and having them spin around, I didn't think of that. I can't wait to try these out! Thanks again!!
Not sure if this is still helpful or not for me to chime in. There is a Dr. Strange type of effect in Farger's Particle Pack Vol 1. Also, my post for Jumpgates has a wide assortment of portal effects:

Not sure if this is still helpful or not for me to chime in. There is a Dr. Strange type of effect in Farger's Particle Pack Vol 1. Also, my post for Jumpgates has a wide assortment of portal effects:
I'm also glad to create something new that anyone is interested in.

Back
Top Bottom