• Hi Guest!

This is a notice regarding recent upgrades to the Hub. Over the last month, we have added several new features to improve your experience.
    You can check out the details in our official announcement!

How to extract character from the scene without .var file of character?

damian.kralov

Reactions
Hey, guys! My first thread and question in here. I'm sorry if my question so dumb. I wouldn't asking you, if I were knew, where to find the answer directly. The problem is: there is a scene in which there is a character i'm interesting on and I want to extract her from the scene for saving her appearance, etc. BUT, I have only the scene itself in .var file, but not the character separately. I tried to load the scene to get the character out of there, but the scene crashes right before it loads completely. Maybe there's some kind of bugs with the scene itself, or it's overloaded by textures/plugins, etc. As I know, I have two options: to make VAM as easy as possible to load the scene (it didn't help) or somehow get the character himself out of the scene without loading the scene itself. Please help me!

Last edited:
Is it a Hub scene I could check?
No, it's not, sorry. And I can't share it, cause it paid.
The problem is that in order to choose a different look, I need to: a) the character was on the list, but she is not; b) so that I open the scene with this character at least once and keep his appearance, but the scene does not open, although it should be working. And so it turns out that I have a scene with the right character, but there is no character and that's how I get it out of there?

Last edited:
Not being able to see the VAR means that I can only suggest things that may or may not exist.
For example, if the VAR has a appearance preset file inside it, then you could just extract that from the VAR (potentially). If the appearance is just part of the included scene, then that would be a lot more difficult doing manually. There's the Browser Assist plugin that I think can "take" a appearance from a scene without loading it, but I never tried it.

Finding out why the scene doesn't load could be useful for you too. Does VaM crash? If so, how much RAM do you have? Does the scene stay stuck on the blue loading panels? What happens?

Not being able to see the VAR means that I can only suggest things that may or may not exist.
For example, if the VAR has a appearance preset file inside it, then you could just extract that from the VAR (potentially). If the appearance is just part of the included scene, then that would be a lot more difficult doing manually. There's the Browser Assist plugin that I think can "take" a appearance from a scene without loading it, but I never tried it.

Finding out why the scene doesn't load could be useful for you too. Does VaM crash? If so, how much RAM do you have? Does the scene stay stuck on the blue loading panels? What happens?
The scene is almost loaded, but literally on the last texture downloads, VAM breaks down. For example, he writes: the texture "A", [79/97] and then it breaks. I have 16 GB of RAM, VAM is on an SSD disk.

Crashes to the desktop? Yeah, some scenes can require more than 16 GB RAM. Make sure you have virtual memory handled by Windows to handle that low RAM (low by VaM standards). If you can do it, having 32 GB RAM would make your VaM a lot more stable.

If you can get the scene to load, select the character you like and save an Appearance Preset. That will save morphs, textures, hair and clothes, but not plugins.

Try closing all other non-essential Windows programs, like a web browser, before launching Vam. You might squeeze it into 16GB if nothing else is eating memory.

Crashes to the desktop? Yeah, some scenes can require more than 16 GB RAM. Make sure you have virtual memory handled by Windows to handle that low RAM (low by VaM standards). If you can do it, having 32 GB RAM would make your VaM a lot more stable.
Yeah, I think so, but no way there are no other options. Or it does?

If you can get the scene to load, select the character you like and save an Appearance Preset. That will save morphs, textures, hair and clothes, but not plugins.

Try closing all other non-essential Windows programs, like a web browser, before launching Vam. You might squeeze it into 16GB if nothing else is eating memory.
1. Opened in window mode.
2. Reduced the application resolution to a minimum.
3. Disabled absolutely all third-party programs.
4. Opened with administrator permission and high priority in the taskbar.
It crashes anyway.

Just some ideas I would try to get the scene working:

- if the var itself has a large size, unpack it (make a backup before?), try to delete some things that take up space like textures that are not necessary for the scene or the character, pack it again and try to open the scene from that new var file. The unpacking should work like with a zip file. Not sure if you can just pack it again like that? Or pack as a zip and change the file extension to var?

- if the var is not very large, try to load it without some of the dependencies (the var files of those). You could just move them somewhere outside of the VaM AddonPackages folder for the time you are trying it.

Back
Top Bottom