How do I set a trigger to link an atom to another atom?

TdotONY

Reactions
Website
www.patreon.com
Patreon
TdotONY
I'm trying to get a button to attach to my left hand.

I can do this easily enough by setting the button to be linked to the hand in the control tab of the button atom, then setting the position and rotation to "parent link" but that's not the problem.

The problem is, despite saving the scene with that set, when I load into the scene, the button is not automatically attached to my hand, and when I inspect it, those settings have been reset back to default (no link).

So I figured I would make a collision trigger for when I move my hand into the trigger, it will set those values, thus attaching the button to my hand.

Problem is, I can only find the sittings to set the position/rotation to "Parent Link" as seen in the image, but I can't find the setting ANYWHERE to actually set the Atom I want to link to.

The menus I'm talking about:

The linked atom setting is nowhere in this list, only the position/rotation setting.

Does anyone know where I can find this? I don't want to go through the hassle of manually setting this button to be linked to my hand every single time I load the scene.

Presets don't work, either. I tried saving a preset with the link and parent link settings set, but it looks like presets don't actually save that information.

I don't think you can set those from the triggers menu. The bigger issue is that those position and rotation shouldn't be resetting whenever you load the scene. Not sure how to fix it though. As a last resort, maybe try creating one of the "legacy" presets (the one from the control tab next to "save pose" and "save look", not from the preset tab), as sometimes the legacy ones store more information on the atom's position.

I don't think you can set those from the triggers menu. The bigger issue is that those position and rotation shouldn't be resetting whenever you load the scene. Not sure how to fix it though. As a last resort, maybe try creating one of the "legacy" presets (the one from the control tab next to "save pose" and "save look", not from the preset tab), as sometimes the legacy ones store more information on the atom's position.

I tried setting a preset both from the "presets" tab as well as from the main "control" window on the button itself, neither of which retained the data set in the "link to atom", "link to" and Position / Rotation set to "Parent Link" information as shown above. When trying to get a collision trigger to activate the preset, that is. The only reason I'm trying to do this is because it's not keeping the link information at scene load, so I want to be able to just easily walk up to my button, throw my hand into it, and have it link to my hand.

I wasn't sure if that information not being saved within the button atom was just "a thing" or what. I assumed that it would retain the linked atom information because well, all the other atoms I have linked to each other in the scene keep their links when I load the scene.

My assumption is that because my hands don't actually exist at the time the assets are loaded is likely the reason why it's not retaining the link information. I thought maybe it would just remember the settings though and apply them when it could....apparently not.

on a side note, I caused a lockup/crash last night when working with a bunch of these buttons which have a bunch of children by setting the "parent" of the highest parent in that chain to one of it's children, which was already parented to the item. It completely locked up and I had to go out of vr and ctrl+alt+delete VaM from the task manager lol.

I know this is a year ago post, but did anyone figure this out? I have the same problem but it "unlinks" when changing the pose to another via the load pose button. Like the OP said there are links for all other settings but the "link to atom" option shown above. I'm almost positive now there was a reason why this was left out.

I know this is a year ago post, but did anyone figure this out? I have the same problem but it "unlinks" when changing the pose to another via the load pose button. Like the OP said there are links for all other settings but the "link to atom" option shown above. I'm almost positive now there was a reason why this was left out.
Acidbubbles rubberleash enables a sort of workaround for this. From my recollection it doesn't persist through scene reload but it allows for a collision trigger parent link.

Acidbubbles rubberleash enables a sort of workaround for this. From my recollection it doesn't persist through scene reload but it allows for a collision trigger parent link.

Hey thanks for this. I hadn't gotten a chance to try it until this past weekend. I tried it and it kind of works but the hands don't seem to function right. When I setup a hand instead of aligning the hand will just pop outwards with an incorrect rotation value. Like if the person was standing and the hands where at the sides fingers pointing to the floor on a vertical plane. When I link the hand it will turn almost parallel to the floor with the fingers somewhat on a horizontal plane. Any ideas what may be causing this?

Hey thanks for this. I hadn't gotten a chance to try it until this past weekend. I tried it and it kind of works but the hands don't seem to function right. When I setup a hand instead of aligning the hand will just pop outwards with an incorrect rotation value. Like if the person was standing and the hands where at the sides fingers pointing to the floor on a vertical plane. When I link the hand it will turn almost parallel to the floor with the fingers somewhat on a horizontal plane. Any ideas what may be causing this?
Pretty sure you can set rotation values

Anyone figure this out? I am trying to allow a button to trigger linking an atom to a tracker without having to dig through a bunch of menus.

Back
Top Bottom