Help ! : all hairs are fucked up

orimesh

Reactions
yesterday i started updating my packages and download some missing dependencies via the in game hub, but then hastily launched a scene meanwhile the downloads were going on. something intense happened somehow during the loading, and my game crashed to desktop probably because of the cpu overload due to download + loading of a heavy scene.

and now every hair i choose is fucked up, a lot of hair is missing and changing the hair settings doesn't do jack shit. does someone knows how can i fix this ?
unknown_2022.04.11-19.32_1.png
unknown_2022.04.11-19.31.png
unknown_2022.04.11-19.32.png

I've seen people having this issue but don't recall what was the solution, so here's a more general check:
  • Check the error log, perhaps something there will be clear on the issue
  • Make sure VaM is not a special permissions folder
  • Clear the cache and restart Windows
  • Run vam_updater.exe > Check core integrity
  • Check for new graphics drivers and set default settings perhaps?

I've seen people having this issue but don't recall what was the solution, so here's a more general check:
  • Check the error log, perhaps something there will be clear on the issue
  • Make sure VaM is not a special permissions folder
  • Clear the cache and restart Windows
  • Run vam_updater.exe > Check core integrity
  • Check for new graphics drivers and set default settings perhaps?
did all of the above, none worked... also i didn't get any error log to begin with

What about downloading VaM again in a different folder? You can try and see if it has the same problem.
If it does it's something outside of VAM doing this.

Is this happening on all scenes or just this specific one?

Also, is "Collision" enabled on your characters (under "Controls & Physics 1" tab) ? Having collision disabled can mess up how the hair is looking.

Is this happening on all scenes or just this specific one?

Also, is "Collision" enabled on your characters (under "Controls & Physics 1" tab) ? Having collision disabled can mess up how the hair is looking.
seems to happen on all scenes, collisions are enabled and work fine

Use binary search to move half of your var deps into a temp folder, restart the game to see if the problems is gone. Repeat the process until you locate the damaged var file and delete it.

What are your quality settings set to? Is the give me fps plugin being used reducing hair quality?

What are your quality settings set to? Is the give me fps plugin being used reducing hair quality?
changing quality setting won't do anything, i don't use givemefps either. i tried deleting everything exepted saves, custom and addonpackages and reinstalling , same issue.

Use binary search to move half of your var deps into a temp folder, restart the game to see if the problems is gone. Repeat the process until you locate the damaged var file and delete it.
what do you mean by binary search ?

what do you mean by binary search ?
What codyooo wants you to check for is if there's a VAR that is causing this issue. I think at this point it's best to go deeper and start from zero:
  • Copy vam_updater.exe to a new empty folder with no special permissions, like C:/VAM for example
  • Run the above to download a clean VAM - it won't conflict with the other one you have
  • Don't copy anything to this new VAM, just run it and see if the hair problem exists as well
If you still have the hair problem, then it's not a VAR or anything within VAM, it's something else causing the problem. Would be great if you could try this and report back.

What codyooo wants you to check for is if there's a VAR that is causing this issue. I think at this point it's best to go deeper and start from zero:
  • Copy vam_updater.exe to a new empty folder with no special permissions, like C:/VAM for example
  • Run the above to download a clean VAM - it won't conflict with the other one you have
  • Don't copy anything to this new VAM, just run it and see if the hair problem exists as well
If you still have the hair problem, then it's not a VAR or anything within VAM, it's something else causing the problem. Would be great if you could try this and report back.
just tried this, did a fresh install on another folder, and yeah still same issue

-if shader setting is not the issue, try fresh gpu driver install (make sure to factory reset/use DDU)
-if you have AMD card, you can try playing with tessellation setting, vam restart is required to fully apply
(setting it too low is gonna provide exact same results like in the pictures above)

just tried this, did a fresh install on another folder, and yeah still same issue
That sucks, but now you know it's not a setting in VAM or a bad VAR doing this.

Try what RandomVAMUser mentions regarding the GPU, it's likely something there. Good luck 👍

-if shader setting is not the issue, try fresh gpu driver install (make sure to factory reset/use DDU)
-if you have AMD card, you can try playing with tessellation setting, vam restart is required to fully apply
(setting it too low is gonna provide exact same results like in the pictures above)
YUP ! that was it, found out tesselation was on " override application settings", i think i messed with that back when i was playing Elden Ring to get more frames, now everything seems to work. BIG THANKS

Back
Top Bottom