Guide about "How to use/upload/maintain resources"

RandomVAMUser

Reactions
This is not a request, more of a question.

I am curious about it...
Is anyone writing a guide (or planing to) about "how to upload to hub"
and about maintaining already uploaded resources (editing, updating, etc)?

My English is not perfect, so i wanna refrain myself from writing it.
But if nobody is willing or planing to do it... hell, i gonna write it. 🤷‍♂️

about guide (what to cover):
-first it should be .var focused (avoiding .vac or loose .zip stuff aka lazy work)
-main focus should be free section (but it could provide same basic info for paid section)
-how to upload (what to avoid when uploading... zip, images, depend.txt)
-explanation about each option (while uploading)
-how to edit resource (thumbnail, name, info, tags, attachments, etc...)
-how to update resource (what to avoid... renaming package, var versioning, or re-posting entirely new resource for sake of an update)
-explanation about resource versioning (latest, multi var uploads, dependencies tab,...)
-how to move resource (to different category)
-how to update resource without hub bump (aka silent update, without update post)
-how to "remove" previous versions (nothing is fully removed, so "hiding" older versions) example: if moving from Free to Paid section
-guide should not have any text inside images, only "pointers"
for any example images there should be a text with explanations next to it
(so it's easy to auto-translate for non-english speaking users)

-maybe some other hints (common sense tips)
like avoid posting resource with only a thumbnail (without extra images/screenshots),
mobile site doesn't show thumbnails (when viewing a resource),
or uploading tons of 4k images outside a spoiler, that takes forever to load (scroll through) on a phone

Last edited:
That's a great addition to the guides for VaM, but perhaps I would suggest, if you want to go ahead with it, is to break it into parts. A really big and detailed guide can put off people from reading it or finding the information they need, but if it's in smaller parts that may be more user friendly as well as easier to maintain and expand.

I get the "TLDR" part, but to me having everything inside single resource feels more "efficient" (easier to maintain it, also less spam on hub).
You can always use spoilers to split text into sections and not use 'full size' images (to compact it).

But if people don't wanna read or find info inside all-in-one post,
than what makes you think they gonna bother looking through 2-3 different uploads. 🤷‍♂️

Gonna think about it, tbh i don't wanna write it, but like i said before "if nobody is gonna do it"...
But than nobody is gonna have any rights to complain about my 'perfect' grammar. 😝

Too many times have we seen users upload messy stuff (with images inside download instead of overview page),
or messy updates(with different naming), or worst case deleting entire resource and re-uploading for update (with same packageVer) 🤦‍♂️
or not moving resource from PC-EA category once early access is over (let's be real...it takes "one click" and it can still remain externally hosted).

Afer writing my reply I was actually thinking that such kind of guide, how to share content on the Hub, should instead be part of the Wiki and not the Guides resources. I think this would make it easier for people to find and follow, especially because it's not date ordered, and the content can be edited by others than the creator.
I would be interested in helping out.

...should instead be part of the Wiki and not the Guides resources. I think this would make it easier for people to find and follow, especially because it's not date ordered, and the content can be edited by others than the creator.
When i think about it...that could be more useful, if it is on hub site (wiki).
But hub wiki is managed by a single person and not "community" driven like others (not easy to edit/contribute by anyone/etc).
Opening new third party wiki page for something as "trivial" as uploading content? ...i don't know, is it worth it

Also writing some .doc or .pdf to download and read is out of the question, nobody is gonna bother with that (in my opinion).
But there has to be some empty(example) .var uploaded...right?
You can't explain update (or history tab) if there is nothing uploaded(attached) to a particular resource page(guide).

I guess we could ask the maintainer if this would be useful to have on the wiki. If there's also some kind of subpages user roles that guide could be potentially community editable but not the remainder of the wiki.
Do you know who the maintainer is?

My English is not perfect, so i wanna refrain myself from writing it.
But if nobody is willing or planing to do it... hell, i gonna write it. 🤷‍♂️
Go and write it ;)

This could be super useful, your written English could put to shame a lot of native speakers and nobody is gonna complain if there is a typo somewhere!

I proposed the mods on having a FAQ page and they are interested in having one.
Your in-depth guide to upload and maintain resources could be linked to from there, like I also linked to ZRSX's guide about VAR packaging on a proposed question & answer. This should help in visibility and easy access.
I don't know yet how the FAQ will be like, but I hope it will help in making some guides easier to find than they are now by date sorting.

Right, the guide...
i did said "if nobody is willing or planing to do it". 😅

You kinda put me on the spot here...you see
The thing is... i had almost entire April free, planned to write this guide and revisit/release my stuff during that period.

But...right away i got frustrated/triggered real quick with resource updating (without post an update option or "silent update").
Anyway...few days later it appeared as "resolved" or it magically fixed itself (right now it works as intended). 🤷‍♂️

Still don't know if this is fully fixed or not, or if it was just unlucky fluke.
(this info about updating resource without "post an update" could be useful for said guide)

Without any "official" updates (confirmations/clarifications) about stuff is just "guess game" around here (or try and error).

Good luck with FAQ, i'll wait and see how that goes...i might scrap some guide together.
However the invitation is still open, if anyone else wants to write it.

trivial question:
It's been about 2 years since hub launch, right? So atm, is hub(as site) in same, better or worse state?

Back
Top Bottom