Feature Request: Hair Curl XYZ negative values.

kemenate

Featured Contributor
Reactions
Twitter
kemenate_VAM
Patreon
kemenate
I cross my fingers that this is easy to implement...

Problem: Right now the displacement from the curl goes only into one direction. Y for example up. Activating Allow Both Axes balances this visually. But sometimes you just want to push the hair into a certain direction and it's not possible, since the values are clamped at 0. While the opposite direction is just fine...

Screenshot_3.png

while we're at it I'd also love to get counter clockwise rotation. But I think I already requested it on discord a while ago and I guess it's not so easy or something... 🤔 and since 2.0 will have a new system anyway...

Admittedly the curl system is not that great, but the main reason for this is performance and also a technical issue with determining per-segment normals and tangents for calculating the curl. It needs to be completely rewritten so the curl can be relative to the hair segment. In addition, curl is just a rendering trick using offsets, so the hair won't collide correctly for large curls. Simulating the curl would cost a lot more performance and may not be feasible. I already spent a considerable amount of time trying to make this better, but it was obvious it was going to require a rewrite to fix most of the issues. I added "Allow Axis Flip" to try to hide the issue you show above with only going to one side. By using "Allow Axis Flip", individual strands randomly have the axis flipped to balance the direction of curl expansion.

You can also reverse (CW vs CCW) the curl randomly per strand now, by using "Allow Reverse" checkbox. You cannot choose which strands are reversed. This may be fixable using a map similar to the scalp mask.

The bad news is I won't be working on hair until the 2.X rewrite of both hair and cloth. I simply can't afford to delay 2.X by spending time on this for 1.X

Back
Top Bottom