Fake depth on 2D plane

Guides Fake depth on 2D plane

PhantasyStarfan

Invaluable member
Featured Contributor
Reactions
PhantasyStarfan submitted a new resource:

Fake depth on 2D plane - Projecting your 3D character against a 2D background

I thought this may be useful for people posing images using flat background images.

View attachment 124910 It's a perspective method that's quite simple, it allows estimated scaling by bouncing off similar objects. You don't need to be 100% exact with this. Loose should work fine. Something as basic as Microsoft Paint can be used with the line tool.

So first, set up your scene using your flat image as a backdrop, it's important you do not move the camera when setting this up...

Read more about this resource...

not sure whats going on mate , click download and it takes me to this https://1387905758.rsc.cdn77.org/in.../124941-cc6004335109a9e44de038c5ddfea014.data
1653396025367.png

Last edited:
Was there some hub change recently (that im not aware of)?

Usually you can create resource page without any files attached (for users to download).
Look at other guides, only views count and no downloads count (no files attached). 🤷‍♂️

Need to put something for the users to download, but nothing to download so just dumped a rando image.
Oh right you must have used the External download URL: option ,
i was kind of expecting a demo , but realise its a guide and feel such a donkey .
we have come along way from the spectrum :)

Last edited:
Oh right you must have used the External download URL: option ,
i was kind of expecting a demo , but realise its a guide and feel such a donkey .
we have come along way from the spectrum :)

Guess could upload a setup image or something. Was going to make a guide about baking fake lights but abit busy atm so have to be another time.

1653407865.png

Guess could upload a setup image or something. Was going to make a guide about baking fake lights but abit busy atm so have to be another time.

View attachment 125117
A set up guide would be great , as unsure how you did the guide lines or unless you added them in photoshop or gimp
to give an idea of perspective. nice work though mate .

A set up guide would be great , as unsure how you did the guide lines or unless you added them in photoshop or gimp
to give an idea of perspective. nice work though mate .

Lit just the line tool man, can do it in paint.

Yea, i'll try update and expand it abit. It is somewhat brief.

Lit just the line tool man, can do it in paint.

Yea, i'll try update and expand it abit. It is somewhat brief.
Doh ! ,i do apologize , should pay more attention as you stated on using Microsoft Paint.
not sure whats up with me this week ,think my brain cell is stuck in first gear. :)

PhantasyStarfan updated Fake depth on 2D plane with a new update entry:

Example - more info

View attachment 125197
Had a few messages regarding this, so expanded it and added an example.

How do I add a background?

There are different methods of doing it. What I do is use the "add image plane" in Blender. From there, I port over the scene FBX and load up the image as an asset.

Again, there are multiple ways to do it, and if you don't know, it's a 5 minute job, ask a creator.

Information...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Hi mate ,oooh i see you too have fallen victim to the dreaded RG glute morphs,
in the var file in morphs are Aries Glute morphs that have been spreading
the issue with them is if you have the morphs in the vam directory ,custom/atom/person/morphs folder ,
you can't zero out the sliders, as they attach to any characters you save.
with them being in the var file when used ,they seem to behave normal.
not fun having the characters having an odd butt .
i am always checking my vars , since i got stung by them darn morphs,
the original without the Aries name can end up in e.g. AUTO/01 06 19/RG InOut.vmi
there can be RG or LG morphs . Great job on the demo.

Last edited:
Hi mate ,oooh i see you too have fallen victim to the dreaded RG glute morphs,
in the var file in morphs are Aries Glute morphs that have been spreading
the issue with them is if you have the morphs in the vam directory ,custom/atom/person/morphs folder ,
you can't zero out the sliders, as they attach to any characters you save.
with them being in the var file when used ,they seem to behave normal.
not fun having the characters having an odd butt .
i am always checking my vars , since i got stung by them darn morphs,
the original without the Aries name can end up in e.g. AUTO/01 06 19/RG InOut.vmi
there can be RG or LG morphs . Great job on the demo.

It's cool. Was more about showing model placement than the model itself.

Also recommend layering Xstastics effects. Storm, fog etc... gives a nice illusion of depth.

1653439181.png

1653438667.png

Back
Top Bottom