Error codes

CaptainVaM11

Reactions
Gonna make this short and straight to the point:

I hopped on VAM today, hopped in a scene for some fun and noticed the "load existing" button and a few others didn't work. i got this error code along with it.

!> Exception during Restore of Preset: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at MeshVR.PresetManagerControl.RestoreFromJSON (SimpleJSON.JSONClass jc, Boolean restorePhysical, Boolean restoreAppearance, SimpleJSON.JSONArray presetAtoms, Boolean setMissingToDefault) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Atom.Restore (SimpleJSON.JSONClass jc, Boolean restorePhysical, Boolean restoreAppearance, Boolean restoreCore, SimpleJSON.JSONArray presetAtoms, Boolean isClear, Boolean isSubSceneRestore, Boolean setMissingToDefault, Boolean isTheSubSceneAtom) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
!> Exception during Restore of Preset: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at MeshVR.PresetManagerControl.RestoreFromJSON (SimpleJSON.JSONClass jc, Boolean restorePhysical, Boolean restoreAppearance, SimpleJSON.JSONArray presetAtoms, Boolean setMissingToDefault) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Atom.Restore (SimpleJSON.JSONClass jc, Boolean restorePhysical, Boolean restoreAppearance, Boolean restoreCore, SimpleJSON.JSONArray presetAtoms, Boolean isClear, Boolean isSubSceneRestore, Boolean setMissingToDefault, Boolean isTheSubSceneAtom) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

I already checked the integrity (passed) and repaired all and the core just in case and still have the same issue. Please help :(

There's this post of collected errors but that one isn't on it:

I'd like to add it to the post, and help you with it of course. Can you tell a bit more about how you got the error? What "load existing" button is that you mention? Is it on more than one scene?

There's this post of collected errors but that one isn't on it:

I'd like to add it to the post, and help you with it of course. Can you tell a bit more about how you got the error? What "load existing" button is that you mention? Is it on more than one scene?
i have no clue how this error came about. I didn't download anything new. and I meant the load existing button when trying to load a new appearance. Im able to hop into the first scene I click when I load up VAM but, after that the other scenes wont even open.

1. Where's your VaM folder?
  2. Are there more errors in your Error Log that may be helpful for this?
  3. What do you have in your session plugins?

1. Where's your VaM folder?
  2. Are there more errors in your Error Log that may be helpful for this?
  3. What do you have in your session plugins?
I have VAM on my D: drive. Dont get other error codes, just the one posted above. sometimes the same error code repeats itself. As for plugins, I only use Acid Bubbles timeline, embody (sometimes), and vammoan all on the models themselves, no session plugins.

Have you tried other preset files or preset types (morph preset, skin preset etc)? Maybe it's an issue with a specific preset file.

What happens if you:
1. open the default scene
2. create a new test appearance preset
3. click on Load Defaults - does this work without error? It restores the default appearance in basically the same way as when loading a preset.
4. if that worked, load your test appearance preset - does that work without error?

Have you tried other preset files or preset types (morph preset, skin preset etc)? Maybe it's an issue with a specific preset file.

What happens if you:
1. open the default scene
2. create a new test appearance preset
3. click on Load Defaults - does this work without error? It restores the default appearance in basically the same way as when loading a preset.
4. if that worked, load your test appearance preset - does that work without error?
I opened the default scene and still got the error code. the scene opens and I can edit the model but the buttons for all of the preset menus don't work. the load defaults button and the rest don't do anything when I click them.

That is very odd.

You could try clearing the cache in the user preferences. It doesn't really feel like something that would cause that issue, but doesn't hurt to try.

If that doesn't help, I would probably just create a fresh VAM installation in a new directory (you can copy VAM_Updater.exe and run it, it'll download about 20 gigs), then copy the Keys directory from the old installation or activate with the key from Patreon, then test that the built-in scenes work, then copy over the content (AddonPackages, Custom and Saves directories) from the old installation, then test again. You can also copy user preferences from the old installation (it's the prefs.json file in the VAM directory).

That is very odd.

You could try clearing the cache in the user preferences. It doesn't really feel like something that would cause that issue, but doesn't hurt to try.

If that doesn't help, I would probably just create a fresh VAM installation in a new directory (you can copy VAM_Updater.exe and run it, it'll download about 20 gigs), then copy the Keys directory from the old installation or activate with the key from Patreon, then test that the built-in scenes work, then copy over the content (AddonPackages, Custom and Saves directories) from the old installation, then test again. You can also copy user preferences from the old installation (it's the prefs.json file in the VAM directory).
I've already cleared the cache when trying to diagnose the issue and it didn't seem to help. I was thinking of just deleting everything in the addonpackages folder and starting over. would this be a possible solution?

It's easy enough to test... rename AddonPackages to AddonPackages2, run VAM_Update.exe and Sync All so that it redownloads the vars that are included in VAM, then run VAM and test the default scene

It's easy enough to test... rename AddonPackages to AddonPackages2, run VAM_Update.exe and Sync All so that it redownloads the vars that are included in VAM, then run VAM and test the default scene
Tried your method and still the same issue. the buttons don't work and I cant go into other scenes.

It sounds like an issue with the VAM installation, despite the fact that you've synced it using the updater. I would test in a fresh installation

Have you maybe installed some third party DLL's (Bepinex for example) that might be interfering with things?

It sounds like an issue with the VAM installation, despite the fact that you've synced it using the updater. I would test in a fresh installation

Have you maybe installed some third party DLL's (Bepinex for example) that might be interfering with things?
I don't believe so. I download all my content from the hub. Also, I deleted Vam entirely and now doing a fresh install.

I don't believe so. I download all my content from the hub. Also, I deleted Vam entirely and now doing a fresh install.
For future reference, you don't need to delete your existing install before creating another. You can have as many Vam folders as you like. Then you'd have the option to copy all your existing content to the new installation to see what breaks it.

I remember I had a problem once (don't recall what it was) that was solved by creating a new instalation and copying all my content over. somehow Vam was broken in a way that checking with the updater couldn't fix.

For future reference, you don't need to delete your existing install before creating another. You can have as many Vam folders as you like. Then you'd have the option to copy all your existing content to the new installation to see what breaks it.

I remember I had a problem once (don't recall what it was) that was solved by creating a new instalation and copying all my content over. somehow Vam was broken in a way that checking with the updater couldn't fix.
I'll keep this in mind for next time. I figured i might as well start fresh since there was alot of content I needed to get rid of. thank you :)

Back
Top Bottom