epiGI

Other epiGI

epi.noah

Featured Contributor
Reactions
epi.noah submitted a new resource:

epiGI - Global Illumination assets that pair well with EpiLight lighting rigs

View attachment 169143

This is my version of Global Illumination that uses MacGruber's SkyMagicLoader. The asset is designed in such a way that it works perfectly with my lighting rigs as if it's providing a bounce of them from the environment.

It's an emulation of ray tracing that works in VR in the cheapest possible way in terms of performance cost. It's designed to give the character contour like some default GI sets do, but keep it color-neutral as GraySky does.

If you...

Read more about this resource...

epi.noah updated epiGI with a new update entry:

Updated to the latest version of Essentials. Additions to manage dependencies.

MacGruber Essentials dependency updated to the latest version.

This new package also has some textures and a modified version of the Vamifier plugin that I use in my scenes and packages. For technical reasons, it's a good idea to have it in a single place so that it can be used as a dependency by other packages.

View attachment 203306

Read the rest of this update entry...

Hello, what settings for lighting would you recommend when applying it to own scene? By looking at .json files of your other resources I think we just leave Global Illum Master Intensity at 0.1 and you're setting camera exposure to something like 0.5 or 0.67. I realized we need the former setting to be not at 0 for SkyMagic to work, and noticed that slightly lower camera exposure values look really nice. So just wanted to make sure, because I remember old advice for better lighting to set global illumination to 0, which obviously doesn't work here.

Also thanks for making those resources, your furniture looks really nice together with it!

The old advice of setting the global illumination intensity to 0 is to turn GI off. That's because most of the default GIs weren't so great to begin with.

If you like what this one does, you can just leave the intensity at its default value of 0.1. That's how I designed it so that I don't have to mess with that setting every time I add this to a scene.

The camera exposure depends on the lighting rig you use and the scene.

With my lighting rigs, I like setting it lower than the default value for indoor scenes, around two thirds. For outdoors scenes, or photogrammetry based environments that are brightly lit already (and don't respond to the game lights), I keep the camera exposure at 1.0 to match that brightness.

A small clarification: You could increase the Global IllumDiffuse Intensity all the way up and still like the results. You could even like them better that way, especially if your scene is limited to 1-2 spot lights for performance reasons.

Back
Top Bottom