Question Emissive shader on basic shape atoms

Voithe

Reactions
Is it possible to have an emissive shader on the basic shape atoms (Cube, IsCube, Sphere, IsSphere, etc...)?

It could be great if the shader can be applied to specific materials and allows the use of the alpha map but, just having an emissive shader of any sort will be nice.

People just tend to use word "emissive" wrong, so I have to ask, "emissive" or "unlit"?
While an "emissive" material does light nearby objects an "unlit" material means:
  • always at 100% brightness
  • unaffected by light calculation and no shadows
  • does not really emit light to nearby objects
  • potentially uses some 'fake glow' post processing effect to create the illusion that it emits light
The standard material in Unity is always "lit". Therefore it's affected by light & shadows.

It is possible to grab the material from these shapes with a Plugin script and apply an "unlit" Shader to them.
If by "emissive" you mean "actually emitting light", as far as I know, no such thing is possible in VAM 1.X.

(I'd HOPE somebody could prove me wrong here so we could have real emissive materials! Yes please!)

Upvote 0
People just tend to use word "emissive" wrong, so I have to ask, "emissive" or "unlit"?
While an "emissive" material does light nearby objects an "unlit" material means:
  • always at 100% brightness
  • unaffected by light calculation and no shadows
  • does not really emit light to nearby objects
  • potentially uses some 'fake glow' post processing effect to create the illusion that it emits light
The standard material in Unity is always "lit". Therefore it's affected by light & shadows.

It is possible to grab the material from these shapes with a Plugin script and apply an "unlit" Shader to them.
If by "emissive" you mean "actually emitting light", as far as I know, no such thing is possible in VAM 1.X.

(I'd HOPE somebody could prove me wrong here so we could have real emissive materials! Yes please!)

Well... a REAL emissive will be AWESOME but... a "Fake Emissive" (Unlit) shader will also be GREAT. Indeed, when i wrote the post i was thinking about an "Unlit" shader (maybe because in some way a was aware that a real "Emissive" shader is not possible atm).

It whould be perfect if such Fake Emissive Shader could have this features:

- Could be applied only to the Diffuse channel of a selected material.
- Allow to change the color.
- Allow the use of the alpha map (to set transparent parts).

That said... if it works on the basic shapes atoms, ANY type of emissive\fake emissive shader whould be great.

Upvote 0
I agree with @Voithe

It's always fun playing around with Emissive (or fake/unlit...whatever the right terminology is) panels, no need for extra light sources.

Having an option to apply same "effect" onto basic shapes? Well... that would be a game changer IMO. ;)

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom