• Hello Guest!

We have recently updated our Site Policies regarding the use of Non Commercial content within Paid Content posts. Please read the new policy here.

An offical announcement about this new policy can be read on our Discord.

~The VaMHub Moderation Team
  • Hello Guest!

We posted an announcment regarding upcoming changes to Paid Content submissions.

Please see this thread for more information.

DAZ path

Dragontales

Featured Contributor
Reactions
Twitter
DragoninkV
I have my DAZ install and library on a different drive other than C: and different than the one that VAM is installed on. I'm trying to set the path in VAM but I can't figure out how to navigate to my E: drive. It only shows me the C: Any help on how to set this?

Click on "My Computer" ?
mycomp.jpg

or manually edit perfs.json
"DAZExtraLibraryFolder" : "D:/etc/etc",
"DAZDefaultContentFolder" : "D:/etc/etc",

I did try the "My Computer" but it only listed my C drive. I have like 5 drives connected to my computer. I'll try the manual method though. Thanks.
Idk...i can see C, D and pick any folder (they are 2 drives, not single drive with 2 partitions).
cd.jpg

sidenote: my client is located on desktop
If it only shows C for you maybe it has something todo with permission?(depending where your client is located on C). :unsure:

I tried the manual method and it didn't work either. Something is definitely up because I get an error when trying to navigate to "my computer". It says - Object reference not set to an instance of an object. I tried on two different intalls of VAM. I'll try installing it on C and see what happens, but I'm wondiering if it is a permissions thing. But the odd thing is...it used to work. So not sure what would have changed.

Hi, forgive my ignorance, but...this talk of Daz folders seems to imply the potential to import Daz characters/morphs, otherwise why would you direct a file open command to that location?

Is this true? Can I create a custom morph with a Daz character (the textures you'd buy and apply to a standard Daz 8.x figure) using Daz3D and/or purchase a character with a morph via Daz website and use it in a VaM scene?

Thanks

Hi, forgive my ignorance, but...this talk of Daz folders seems to imply the potential to import Daz characters/morphs, otherwise why would you direct a file open command to that location?

Is this true? Can I create a custom morph with a Daz character (the textures you'd buy and apply to a standard Daz 8.x figure) using Daz3D and/or purchase a character with a morph via Daz website and use it in a VaM scene?

Thanks
Daz cloths, for G2 textures just add to VAM character

Yes, Any G2 skin will work, just add in texture folder. Yes, any G2 cloths and other with work.

When you say G2, Daz characters are up to G8.1 now, I think the oldest you can buy new is G3 from sites OTHER than Daz. I assume the reason they use G2 is the fewer polygons?

The DAZ path in VAM is for importing Clothing items from DAZ. You still have to export them out of DAZ as a scene and then bring them in to VAM. The path is so that VAM knows where to find the textures and other dependencies. Skins that are made for the Genesis 2 Female (and male) can be copied into your VAM directory (Custom/atom/Person/textures/). And then applied to your figure (making sure to use the correct UV setting of one of the default VAM skins). G8 figures cannot be brought into VAM at this time. But VAM 2.0 will utilize G8 once it comes out. As for morphs made for G2, you can use some of these but I'm not sure how that process works.

The DAZ path in VAM is for importing Clothing items from DAZ. You still have to export them out of DAZ as a scene and then bring them in to VAM. The path is so that VAM knows where to find the textures and other dependencies. Skins that are made for the Genesis 2 Female (and male) can be copied into your VAM directory (Custom/atom/Person/textures/). And then applied to your figure (making sure to use the correct UV setting of one of the default VAM skins). G8 figures cannot be brought into VAM at this time. But VAM 2.0 will utilize G8 once it comes out. As for morphs made for G2, you can use some of these but I'm not sure how that process works.

Thanks for the info. Hopefully VAM 2.0 will also support custom morphs in addition to Daz 8 chars

This version of VAM does support custom morphs. Some can be simply dropped into the folder. Others have a workflow needed to get them in (just not sure what it is).

So not skins or morphs for characters, just clothes?

You can use DAZ Genesis 2 morphs out of the box, too. Youst copy them to VaM/custom/person/morphs/...
So you can use DAZ G2 morphs, you can use custom morphs imported with DAZ, too.
Maybe Genesis 2 was used for VaM because of licensing fees. VaM was only a little more than a small VR-proof of concept, not comparable to what it is now.
As you can use G2 textures, you can use DAZ tutorials to convert V4/M4 and Genesis1 textures, too (even older than G2). G3 or even G8 is much more complicated, but theoretically possible.
DAZ clothes from other generations can be fitted/converted to G2 with some tricks and tools.
In addition to this, DAZ environments and assets can be imported by using Unity. There are some tutorials out there.
Therefore DAZ is an important "tool for VaM" content creators.

the first version of VaM was released over 4 years ago, and development started several years before that. G2 was the best choice back then, and the whole program was built around that decision.

Victoria 4 - Stone Age (stone axe)
Genesis 1 - 2012 (TriAx)
Genesis 2 - 2013/14 (TriAx)
Genesis 3 - 2015 (DualQuat)
Genesis 8 - 2017 (Dual Quat)

I remember that I was a bit dissapointed when I first learned about Vam 3,5 years ago, because most of my DAZ stuff was allready Genesis 3 (I started DAZ with Victoria 4). I thought that was because of less licensing fees, didn't know that development of VaM started that early in VR-Age. Not to think of the brand new Genesis 8 that time, which only a few DAZ users had already switched to. If I remember correctly, upgrading to Genesis 3 was one of the first big community wishes, but nobody was really questioning why it has started with Genesis 2 that days.
So there is a big technological gap between Genesis 2 and Genesis 3, we all understood that it would mean a big efford to change and were more than happy that, instead of this, many new functions were implemented (like clothes, hair, custom morphs and textures...).

which specific daz3d path location should be used for the "DAZExtraLibraryFolder" and "DAZDefaultContentFolder" lines?
do you use a directory under the daz3d program directory or one in the users directory ?

The default content folder is for your Daz content folder. I don't know the actual location in the Daz folder structure.
The extra Library folder is for people (like me) who don't have daz installed. It can go anywhere. I created a "library" directory in my VaM main directory, and put any Daz content I want to import there.

The standard DAZ3D path is C:\Users\Username\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library . If you have installed it to a secondary drive or partition (IMHO highly recommended) then it is for instance D:\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library.

If you have stuff in both folders (sometimes happens with DAZ content installers), you can set the second path in "extra library".
Or do like DJ has suggested, if you do not have DAZ.

Back
Top Bottom