Controller Link Triggers

Plugins Controller Link Triggers

Stopper

Invaluable member
Featured Contributor
Reactions
Stopper submitted a new resource:

Controller Link Triggers - Allows changing link targets and parent atoms via trigger

A small plugin that adds the ability to change "Link To" settings and parent atoms via trigger.

Thanks to @Ashen Ryder for the idea.

Usage
  1. Add to an Atom
  2. The atom's main controller (named 'control') will now have a parentAtom selector that can be modified via trigger.
  3. Each other controller will now have a linkToAtom and lingToRigidbody setting. These function similarly to the settings in the UI.
    1. The linkToAtom...

Read more about this resource...

Hi Stopper! I'm hoping you might be able to help me with a problem using this..

Firstly, this is awesome and it means I can temporarily link a person to e.g. a revolving object - so cool. But... although it works perfectly when loaded into an open scene, it only works about 80% of the time after opening a saved scene which contained the plugin when saved, less often if using Timeline to trigger.

I've tried the following:
1) Forget Timeline, apply using buttons - more effective than Timeline, but definitely not guaranteed.
2) In scene, disable/re-enable via triggers, then apply link 1 or more times. - no effect.
3) Reload the plugin after encountering the problem - this is guaranteed to work, but (afaik) can't reload plugins via trigger.

Could plugin order make a difference? Is there a way of reloading plugins via triggers that I've missed?

Many thanks for your excellent plugins and I hope to keep using this one :)

Firstly, this is awesome and it means I can temporarily link a person to e.g. a revolving object - so cool. But... although it works perfectly when loaded into an open scene, it only works about 80% of the time after opening a saved scene which contained the plugin when saved, less often if using Timeline to trigger.

1) Forget Timeline, apply using buttons - more effective than Timeline, but definitely not guaranteed.
2) In scene, disable/re-enable via triggers, then apply link 1 or more times. - no effect.
3) Reload the plugin after encountering the problem - this is guaranteed to work, but (afaik) can't reload plugins via trigger.

Could plugin order make a difference? Is there a way of reloading plugins via triggers that I've missed?

So I found a bug that I'll patch shortly. It may or may not be what you're seeing. Let me know if the next version fixes it for you, and if not if you see any error logs.

First off, thanks for the awesome plugin, Stopper! This plugin definitely fills a gap in VaM's functionality. Unfortunately, I can confirm the same behavior with version .2 that FluffyBunny mentioned. If I save a scene where the plugin is working fine, close VaM, relaunch/reload the scene and press the buttons that I configured to assign different parenting, the parent doesn't change. However, if I enter Edit mode, click on the character that is receiving the parenting trigger, and then push the button, I can see that the parenting changes. It seems like some something happens when the character's menu is loaded that is necessary for this plugin to work correctly. Let me know if I can be of any assistance with testing...

A little more information....

Tested this several times and I definitely confirmed it "fixes" itself when you open up the Person Atom that is accepting the parenting trigger. Also, until you do that, any button that uses the parentAtom Receiver Target will not complete all the actions assigned to that button.

For example, say I'm trying to assign a the parent atom as the first step of a button on a male character (parenting to a female character), with three more steps after that parenting action. Before opening the Person Atom UI, the parenting will fail, and button steps 2-4 don't even execute (UPDATE: I determined the actions 2-4 *sometimes* execute, but not always). Then, if I open the male character's Person Atom UI and go to "Control & Physics 1", I can push the button, visually see the parenting changes correctly, and steps 2-4 on the button then run and complete successfully.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom