CharacterFusioner Plugin&Demo

Plugins CharacterFusioner Plugin&Demo

Hi,

can you please explain how to use this Plugin?

What does one have to do here from beginning?

I do load a model VAM Look and then i do apply this plugin where?
As a normal plugin?

It looks like this loading:

2022-10-20 21_40_37-VaM.png

After i click "Base Appearance" and select a apperance preset nothing happens.
If click Additional Characters "Add Appearance" and select a appearance nothing happens ;)

The slider is moving if i click +1 on the buttons but slider interaction is doing nothing either.
I cannot move it with the mouse.

And even clicking +1 etc there are no changes applied to the model.

I am in a stable current last VAM Version.
Also installed it in a 2nd VAM install with same behavior.

Thx in Advance :)

Last edited:
Hi,

can you please explain how to use this Plugin?

What does one have to do here from beginning?

I do load a model VAM Look and then i do apply this plugin where?
As a normal plugin?

It looks like this loading:

View attachment 167471

After i click "Base Appearance" and select a apperance preset nothing happens.
If click Additional Characters "Add Appearance" and select a appearance nothing happens ;)

The slider is moving if i click +1 on the buttons but slider interaction is doing nothing either.
I cannot move it with the mouse.

And even clicking +1 etc there are no changes applied to the model.

I am in a stable current last VAM Version.
Also installed in in 2nd VAM install with same behavior.

Thx in Advance :)
Did you put both base and additionnal at the same time ? and for the slider only the one from additional appearances works the base one is just for you to know how much you still have of the base morph

Yes both same time and even if i load only one it does not work at all.
Are you also using Version 2 of the plugin?

Last edited:
@dudewhatthefrick This might be useful for you (and others as well), this is a way to add body or head morphs separately, to other characters. (Basically replacing heads).

You can select the “head” region and copy and paste all morphs from there to the other character. Instead, I use this mass morph manager because I like to see all morphs which the head consists of, so I can tweak the character later.

You can also try using my Character Fusion tool, to have more randomly chosen morph weights. (Instead of a single slider affecting all morph weights).

But even better is the successor of that tool: my https://hub.virtamate.com/resources/vam-evolutionary-character-creation.17382/ which allows you to choose a selection of "parent" characters whose morphs you like, and then generate "children" from those parents and rate them. And you keep doing that until you're satisfied with the result. It's a great way to create beautiful new looks based on morphs you like.

Yes both same time and even if i load only one it does not work at all.
Are you also using Version 2 of the plugin?
Yeah you have to load both to merge them. That's weird, yeah I'm on 2 as well. Do you load the plugin in the model plugin tab ?

I load it in the normal plugin tab and loaded it in all other scene plugin tabs.
Nothing works here in any VAM Version i install it

I even unpacked it to /custom and its still not working.

- I load the Model
- I load the Script adding the CharacterFusioner.PersonAtom.cslist from Custom\Scripts\dynms1337\CharacterFusioner\CharacterFusioner.PersonAtom.cslist
The Plugin appears as usual

The rest i explained above i just load two appearance presets from all my hundreds appearances displayed with previews and nothing happens.
- The Slider does not move at all by mouse.
- It only moves clicking +10 etc but with no effects.
- There is nothing else displayed after adding any appearance presets

Also no errors in Log.

HW
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

I really love the ability to do a true merge between the two...not an addition, etc. I do get some errors in the error log and it doesn't always work with every figure for some reason, but overall I love where this is going.

What additional Plugins does that Plugin needs?
There are several files named MCGruber and so on etc in the VAR / src folder.

Perhaps i am missing a needed main plugin?

This is first time ever a plugin wont work on my side while it works at your's as i see.
And what should i do other than installing it in several other new and old VAM Versions.

It works. Is it possible to also load skin textures aswell?

For people having trouble:
1. Load a scene with 2 characters
2. Load the plugin in the character you want to edit (CharacterFusioner.PersonAtom.cslist )
3. Select Base Appearance
4. Select Aditional Characters
5. Move the slider below the Aditional Characters

I really enjoy this, but I get this problem pretty often where it's like... a character is applied twice even when everything except the base character is at 0. So they end up with very extreme features

so far I've been getting around it by merging all the morphs of a character together, and then using that as the base appearance, but it's pretty annoying. because if it weren't for that problem, this would be 10 outta 10

Yeah, I have these issues that somehow the original morph character values are slightly changed even if I set it back to 100% base and delete the new morph. So I have to reload the base morph very often, to make sure that it stays that way. Still a neat little tool though. And it also doesn't work well with single morph characters. But nothing works well with those single morph characters unfortunately.

@torg @pinosante

Thanks for clarifying the issue. I am also aware of this issue, but I have no idea why this happens...
so far in my fiddling with it, it seems to be that multiple copies of the morph are triggered. for example, if a character uses the height morph, you end up with two height morphs being applied (I have like... 3-4 copies of a lot of morphs for reasons I don't understand, lol). And it's only ever the base that has the issue.

Like I said, I've been merging all the morphs of a character, then creating a new appearance preset with the character only using the one morph, and that seems to fix the problem? At least, I haven't seen any issues with single morph characters myself

@torg @pinosante

Thanks for clarifying the issue. I am also aware of this issue, but I have no idea why this happens...

Edit: Just realized that torg16 already confirmed my "theory". Maybe I'll learn to "read the whole thread" some day ... ;)

Speculation, take with grain of salt.

1) "morph-duplicates": This sounds a bit like an issue in older VaM versions that was caused by duplicated morphs.

Dunno how your plugin searches for & categorizes morphs, but if eg. one and the same morph is present as local custom-morph (or a builtin) AND in var-package (or in more than one .var), they have the same (internal) UID (called "name" in the morph's .vmi file), category and region (some older morphpacks include morphs that are now builtin, and some morphpacks overlap - with any non-trivial installation, you're practically guaranteed to have some duplicates).

If the plugin then addresses "morph with UID XYZ -> Value: 0.6", several morphs might be addressed simultaneously.

Afaik, only way in VaM 1.x to discern between two (custom morph) dupes would by their file-path (what is called "UID" in a scene or preset). Not sure this would work if one of the dupes is a builtin ... (yes, there's ijiits that package a builtin morph into a .var & then set the preload-flag to "true" ...)

2) "Favorites" Additionally, the issue might depend on which morphs are favorited - maybe if two or more duplicates of the same morph are favorited, they are both assigned the same value by fusioner?

3) "Preload flag" - May increase the chance of duplicates being preloaded & therefor present in the morphs-tab? (whatwith loads of guys packaging builtin & common custom morphs into their looks & then setting the preload morphs flag on the package).

4) The base look may contain several active duplicates right from the start, possibly with different values (eg one set to the "relevant" value, the other to 0.001 or smth). If so, I don't see how the plugin could decide which copy to address & what the "correct" value to choose would be. Likely, the user would have to weed out "previously present dupes" manually before loading the plugin.

Sorry if I'm telling you stuff you already know infinitely more about than me - I like this plugin & want to see it work as best it can.

Last edited:
so far in my fiddling with it, it seems to be that multiple copies of the morph are triggered. for example, of a character uses the height morph, you end up with two height morphs being applied (I have like... 3-4 copies of a lot of morphs for reasons I don't understand, lol). And it's only ever the base that has the issue.

* You have multiple copies of the same morphs mostly bcs loads if ijiits package builtin & very old custom morphs into their looks & then set the "preload morphs"-flag in their .var to "true". All morphs in a package with that flag set to "true" are preloaded on startup are then available in your morphs-tab (morphs in .vars with that flag set to "false" are only loaded if required by an active scene).

You can ammeliorate the "too many unnecessary preload-flags" issue a bit by disabling that flag for all .var packages that are not morph-packages - either manually, in the package-manager (which ... is beyond tedious), or by using Kruk2's varmanger https://github.com/Kruk2/VamToolbox (Note: That project is under construction - it lacks the GUI features to be very usefull as a full-fledged varmanager, but I use the var-fixer options regularly. I badgered Kruk2 into implementing "disable preload for everything but morphpacks"). In that tool, a "morphpackage" is defined as a .var that only contains files in the path /Custom/Atom/Person/Morphs/... (or was it "longest common filepath contains /Custom/Atom/Person/Morphs/..."?)

- Note that this feature is non-invasive - the package isn't changed. Instead, a textfile is written into your [Vam_Root]\\AddonPackagesUserPrefs\... directory. VaM reads those on startup & modifies the options for the .var accordingly (in runtime-memory).
- The other "var-fixer" options are invasive!!! (meaning they may delete certain morph-groups from .vars, or delte the "dependencies"-section in all meta.json files in all your .vars. If you don't know what those functions are good for, don't use them!)
- That tool is meant as a var-manager first & foremost (actually, a little more than that). Means that the usecase is having one "clean" VaM-installation without vars & a "repository"-directory outside that "clean" installation that contains all your vars. The tool can automatically create "symlinks" (like standard Desktop-links, but better) from the repository into your "clean" var, almost instantanously, without moving files. You can also have two VaM-installations - one "virgin", the other "fat", and point the varmanger to each of their root-folders. Then the tool will not only symlink vars, but also local files as necessary.
- As always: READ THE FSKING README BEFORE USING IT!
- You use that tool at your own risk!

Note also that morphs that aren't preloaded are not "gone" - they're still loaded when they're needed in a scene, they're just not loaded automatically on startup.

* The above "remedy" might not remove all your duplicate - some morphpackages overlap (contain subsets of identical morphs). If you need two morphpacks with overlapping subsets of morphs (eg bcs both are referenced by another .var or by one of your custom looks etc - which will likely be the case in your installation), then you could disable the preload flag on one of the packages -> but that'd mean the morphs in the disabled (not-preloaded) package will only be available in the morphstab when that package is referenced by a scene or preset you load.

* Lastly, you may have local morphs in your installation that are also present in a .var that is preloaded (Iirc, local morphs are always automatically preloaded). I think the only tool that removes local duplicates (local custom morphs that are also contained in a .var) is an old one by AcidBubbles' meant for the early 1.19.xx versions of VaM. If you have local folders in Morphs/.../... that have "reloaded" in their name - those are likely copies from either the "Spacedog.Import_Reloaded_Lite." morphpackage, or ... "the other one".

The "preload morphs"-flag was actually meant to deal with var/var duplicates. Iiirc, MeshedVR decided that had to be enough for VaM 1.x - afaik, only way to uniquely identify morphs would be by CRC, which is a planned feature for 2.X

Last edited:
so far in my fiddling with it, it seems to be that multiple copies of the morph are triggered. for example, if a character uses the height morph, you end up with two height morphs being applied (I have like... 3-4 copies of a lot of morphs for reasons I don't understand, lol). And it's only ever the base that has the issue.

Like I said, I've been merging all the morphs of a character, then creating a new appearance preset with the character only using the one morph, and that seems to fix the problem? At least, I haven't seen any issues with single morph characters myself

Maybe you want to check your "base" look whether it has multiple duplicates active (set to non-default value) right from the start - possibly set to different values. If that is the case, you'd probably have to weed out the duplicates manually before using the plugin. Don't think there's a way for a plugin to decide which copy to use & what value to set it to in order to preserve your intended look

Last edited:
@Case @torg16 @pinosante
Thanks for giving the insight. I noticed that my morph store's de-duplication logic was not working...

Your tool has a de-duplication logic ...?

:rubshands:

You do know the community has been aching for a working var-deduper for ... a very long time indeed?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom