Can't replicate Can't install with updater. Failed to download/Fatal Error Occured

SivolLowand

Reactions
Every time I try to install, the updater says "Failed to download V:\Games\VAM\AddonPackages\DJ.TanLines.1.var and will retry."
I'm on Windows 10, installing on an SSD. I attached an image of the error message.

How do I fix this? This is my first time installing VAM and it's not really off to a good start...

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-02-17 231609.png
    Screenshot 2021-02-17 231609.png
    49.1 KB · Views: 0
This is a common and known issue with the updater. If you had unpacked one or more of the included var files using the Unpack option in the Package Manager, the updater could not handle the unpacked directory (which would have the same name as the var file it is trying to install). To fix, you can move this unpacked directory to the side if you had changes you want to save or just restore to original in the Package Manager if you don't have changes you want to keep. Then run the installer again.

This is a common and known issue with the updater. If you had unpacked one or more of the included var files using the Unpack option in the Package Manager, the updater could not handle the unpacked directory (which would have the same name as the var file it is trying to install). To fix, you can move this unpacked directory to the side if you had changes you want to save or just restore to original in the Package Manager if you don't have changes you want to keep. Then run the installer again.
What package manager? What var files? I am a complete noob to this. 90% of what you just said went right over my head.
I've never installed VAM before. All I did was download the updater and ran it in my desired directory. I have no changes. I have nothing that can be saved. I've NEVER used VAM before.

Again, this is my first time installing VAM. I didn't even know this software existed until a week ago.

Last edited:
Sorry I missed that this was your 1st time trying to install. This is the most common issue from this specific error which is why I responded with the detailed information that would have made sense if you had unpacked a var file.

There are a couple of other possibilities:
1. The CDN I'm using for distributing the files has an occasional issue with their caching system. I'm working on a backup CDN to allow the installer to try another source when the main source does not return the expected results. For this condition, the problem usually resolves itself when the cache is flushed every 12 hours. So you could retry the installer now to see if it gets past this point.
2. I have seen users report that the installer has issues installing to external drives. Judging by the letter (V) of your SSD, I'm guessing it is external. You could try installing on main internal drive, and then transfer the folder to the external SSD once it is installed. I really don't know what would cause this so I don't have a good way to fix that if that is what is happening.

Sorry I missed that this was your 1st time trying to install. This is the most common issue from this specific error which is why I responded with the detailed information that would have made sense if you had unpacked a var file.

There are a couple of other possibilities:
1. The CDN I'm using for distributing the files has an occasional issue with their caching system. I'm working on a backup CDN to allow the installer to try another source when the main source does not return the expected results. For this condition, the problem usually resolves itself when the cache is flushed every 12 hours. So you could retry the installer now to see if it gets past this point.
2. I have seen users report that the installer has issues installing to external drives. Judging by the letter (V) of your SSD, I'm guessing it is external. You could try installing on main internal drive, and then transfer the folder to the external SSD once it is installed. I really don't know what would cause this so I don't have a good way to fix that if that is what is happening.
Yeah, my V drive is an internal SSD. I honestly don't know what to do at this point. I'm just going to have to cancel my subscription until this is fixed. Thanks for your help, though.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

Sorry you are having trouble. If it isn't any of the above issues I'm not sure why it would fail. I might suggest trying another drive if you have one just to see if that was the cause.

Sorry you are having trouble. If it isn't any of the above issues I'm not sure why it would fail. I might suggest trying another drive if you have one just to see if that was the cause.
I've tried my V drive, my F drive and my C drive. None have worked, unfortunately.

I just manually purged all the CDN caches of the file that is giving you trouble. Can you try the updater one more time? Does it error on the same file?

Okay, I just tried it. It worked, but then it did the same with another file. 😂 This sounds like it's definitely something on my end. I'll keep playing around with it, see what I can do

This is a CDN issue and one I'm working on fixing with a new updater that can pull from multiple CDNs if one or the other does not give the expected results. What region/country are you in? I can report this back to the CDN because this should really not happen and is an issue with their system. What is the next file? I can clear that cache of that one now and keep going until it all works.

This is a CDN issue and one I'm working on fixing with a new updater that can pull from multiple CDNs if one or the other does not give the expected results. What region/country are you in? I can report this back to the CDN because this should really not happen and is an issue with their system. What is the next file? I can clear that cache of that one now and keep going until it all works.
I'm in the US.

Alright so what I'm doing is this: I found someone with a torrent of all the VAM files. So I went in and downloaded ONLY the file that I needed. But, when I did that, there was an issue with ANOTHER file. And then another, and another, and another. Not just from the Addons folder, but from the Custom folder, too. I deduced it down to this:
It happens with any big file. Basically any file over 100MB. The same thing happens: Failed to download, attempt 1, attempt 2, 3 and 4, installation continues, and then fatal error. Occasionally, the installer will completely freeze up in the middle of a big download, too.

Alright, so halfway into torrenting, the last seeder disappeared. So I'm stuck again.

Is there anywhere that I can just download the files without the installer for now?

I don't support direct downloading. Why? Because each version of VaM would be 16+ GB. Each patch is usually only 10-100MB. So I only have to upload a small amount and users only have to download a small amount for each update. I may release another patch in a few days, and it will be small. The updater allows incremental update.

Your issue seems quite unique so I wonder if there is something with your internet provider or other setup that is causing issues with large file downloads. Perhaps try another computer if you have one and transfer the files over.

I am working on a new version of the updater which will use a backup CDN when the main CDN fails to deliver the file correctly. That may help if the issue is with the CDN.

I don't support direct downloading. Why? Because each version of VaM would be 16+ GB. Each patch is usually only 10-100MB. So I only have to upload a small amount and users only have to download a small amount for each update. I may release another patch in a few days, and it will be small. The updater allows incremental update.

Your issue seems quite unique so I wonder if there is something with your internet provider or other setup that is causing issues with large file downloads. Perhaps try another computer if you have one and transfer the files over.

I am working on a new version of the updater which will use a backup CDN when the main CDN fails to deliver the file correctly. That may help if the issue is with the CDN.
Alright, cool. I look forward to it. Thanks for your help

Back
Top Bottom