• Hi Guest!

This is a notice regarding recent upgrades to the Hub. Over the last month, we have added several new features to improve your experience.
    You can check out the details in our official announcement!

Camera at fixed positions in a scene

aneglo

Reactions
Hello there lovely people,

I would like to ask one thing, I'm new to VAM, and I'm thinking of using it to create a Visual Novel, mostly to capture images and small videos.
I'm already enjoying quite a lot, and I'm surprised as to how powerful VAM is for this purpose. Currently using the MacGruber plugins to for pictures, but I'm a bit confused as how can I add fixed positions for camera, so when changing poses or expressions, I don't loose the exact position of the camera.

Is there a recommendation either of methodology or plugin that can be used to lock the camera position into a single place?

Also, I really appreciate all the effort done by this community, awesome work, I've been learning so much already. And if anybody has any tips for VN making, please feel free to let me know <3

Hi there,

it sounds like you are talking about the player view, not the "real" camera? It is called window camera. You can set this camera to a position and never have to move it, if you don't want to, but still can look and move around with the player view. And you can always make your screenshots with MacGrubers Supershot through that camera view.
MacGruber explains the window camera and how to access it at the start of this tutorial video:

If you prefer to do it with the player view (viewport) you could use a plugin to save the position, like this one:

I also played with the idea of making a VN and started to learn/use Renpy. But I am just at the beginning and don't know where this might lead. :)
By the way: There is also a powerful plugin that can be used to make VN-like stories within VaM itself:

Thank you, I'll have a look at it. I saw this video but didn't watched it as I thought to be related to "video" only. I'm still learning all the terminology for the different views, assets, atoms and so on.

I'm in the same boat as you then, started playing around and want to see where it will lead me :D
I had a look at the VAMStory, but decided that it will be "easier" for me to go with Ren'py as well, even considered Tyranobuilder for being more UI friendly, but considering that most VN I ever played are either in Ren'py or Unity, I will go with Renpy.

Thanks once again @Femcore

Hello there lovely people,

I would like to ask one thing, I'm new to VAM, and I'm thinking of using it to create a Visual Novel, mostly to capture images and small videos.
I'm already enjoying quite a lot, and I'm surprised as to how powerful VAM is for this purpose. Currently using the MacGruber plugins to for pictures, but I'm a bit confused as how can I add fixed positions for camera, so when changing poses or expressions, I don't loose the exact position of the camera.

Is there a recommendation either of methodology or plugin that can be used to lock the camera position into a single place?

Also, I really appreciate all the effort done by this community, awesome work, I've been learning so much already. And if anybody has any tips for VN making, please feel free to let me know <3

Either Spawn Point or Embody :)
Both are valid to help you setup specific camera shots.

You could also check out Studio Maestro, but the camera presets are a bit better for vitual photography.

Potentially relevant:
SuperShot can take multiple screenshots from different perspectives at once. This could for example be useful for taking screenshots of different clothing variations from multiple perspectives or maybe like making graphic novels with VaM. To use this add one or more 'Empty' atoms into your scene and rename them to 'SuperShot#X', 'SuperShot#Y', and so on. These are used as camera positions, 'X' and 'Y' can be anything and will appear in the filename later. Atoms can be turned on/off to enabled/disable positions. You can use the WindowCamera preview for easier positioning. SuperShot uses the FoV of the WindowCamera for these custom screenshots. See video for a quick tutorial.

Wow, thank you a lot, I knew this community was great, hope that I can contribute this much as well soon.
Thanks hazmhox, Spawn Point definitely will help to position the person atoms, I had a character walking away to the void with an animation that I forgot to stop, if I had this it would be easier to bring it back :p

As for MacGruber thanks a lot for the video and instructions, that will help so very much! Also since you are here, thanks a lot for all the amazing plugins you created.

Back
Top Bottom