BSOD Crashing and Memory Issues

xwn434

Reactions
So sorry if this is a cringe repost, but I've been going through the forums (as well as Microsoft help desk etc) and trying to figure out how big of a problem I have and am still having issues wrapping my head around what seems like pretty basic stuff for a lot of people posting on tech sites. I've recently been running into intermittent but severe memory errors with VAM (exclusively desktop mode) and was wondering how much of this was the program itself causing problems, how much it is an actual hardware issue with parts I need to replace, and how much of that hardware damage may have been caused by me doing too much on VAM for my system to handle. The errors go beyond the standard program crashes to occasional stretches of multiple days where I'm getting all sorts of BSODs (ntkrnlmp.exe related ones, writing to readonly memory ones, pfn list ones, and so on). I downloaded memtest86 and it immediately started returning all sorts of errors (like an error every two seconds). And each time VAM crashes and I check core integrity with the installer, there's a failure with some file in "StreamingAssets." When the BSODs start they'll continue for like a whole day as if there's an angry kami living inside my computer. But if I just shut down and let the thing rest overnight, it passes in a day or two. Is this expected or is my computer fucked and need professional help?

Here are hardware specs, if this is useful:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 4.7 GHz 12-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard
CPU Cooler: Deepcool AK620 68.99 CFM CPU Cooler
Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory
Video Card: Asus DUAL GeForce RTX 4070 12 GB Video Card
Storage: Crucial P5 Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
Power Supply: Corsair RM850x (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

I got some money from completing a job and bought these parts on sale from recommendations on Reddit and my local Microcenter. They said it was a really good build for gaming, so I assume these things should theoretically be able to handle desktop VAM (even though it is a hungry program). Is that accurate?

As for what I'm doing on VAM, I've been trying my hand at model creation (one day I hope to start sharing things on the hub to pay back the community) and basic scene creation using Timeline for animation. Nothing too complex, just posing models into different positions and then small animations for thrusting etc. I save each position to hotkeys and will sometimes jump between them (as well as use plugins like embody, EBAT, VamMoan, SilverEmotions, DiviningRod). Are these actions so computationally demanding that I'm running into a memory bottleneck? Could it have caused my current computer to overheat and fuck up my physical memory?

Obviously understand no one can do a full diagnosis based on a post and appreciate you if you've read this far. Just trying to figure out what's going on before I bring my computer into MicroCenter for a repair and want to know if I need to upgrade anything if I'm interested in continuing playing around with VAM.

I've had many times VaM crashing, usually by abusing texture loading filling up my RAM. Crashes were also more frequent when I used XMP profiles, turning it off made things way more stable, except for my texture loading abuse.
VaM uses your RAM like any other program, although it does use a lot compared to more common things, it doesn't destroy it in any way, how could it?

If memtest is giving you errors you probably have hardware problems with your RAM, which then causes all those BSOD you get. It becomes very noticeable when using VaM because it will use a lot more than other programs/games will but is not the source of the problems.
If you have another computer around you could test your RAM in it; I think it's damaged in some way or else memtest would not spit out errors. Try looking online for memtest test results and what they mean to better know what is happening with your RAM.

Should have asked at first, did you assemble your machine?

Last edited:
I have no idea, man. Just saw online that these memory issues may be caused by hardware malfunction and wasn’t sure if overuse could lead to overheating and part failure or something. You seem to think something is wrong with the hardware itself too and I just bought this stuff a few months ago, so if overuse is breaking these expensive pieces I’d like to know so I can modify either my equipment or behavior. Like I said, I don’t know much about this stuff.

I didn’t assemble the computer, paid for the store to do it. I guess I’ll take it in to the store and have them take a look.

If you bought it assembled and don't have much experience opening the computer then I'd say to take it to the place you bought it from and use the warranty. You can say that you have all kinds of BSOD issues and runing memtest gives many errors. Could only be that there's some physical issues with the RAM and just swapping them would resolve everything, but that's what the warranty is for.
Keep in mind that they're probably going to format your disk so make a backup of your things. I'm not from the US, do adapt what I say to what is expected there in terms of service and warranty.

Just dropped it off, appreciate the response. Warranty will cover full cost of replacement if there’s a hardware issue, so that’s nice. If not, hopefully they can help me with XMP profiles or BIOS or whatever. Appreciate the help.

Since you’re already responding, do you think the hardware I have now (if in working order) will be enough to work with desktop mode in the future or am I still going to need to upgrade something to prevent a problem like this from happening in the future?

Your hw is better than mine and I use VR which makes it even more demanding. You should have no problems at all in desktop mode.

If the BIOS is set to do overclocking, that could cause memory errors. The store should check it.

Back
Top Bottom