Benchmark Result Discussion

Cool, thanks for the run. Something is definately way off. All the 5800x3d Benches on here had much faster scores. Have you tried disabling the non-3d ccd in bios. People have seen a 10% uplift from that. Im mulling over going ahead and grabbing the 7950X3d if i can, so that i can test out disabling non3d cores as well as the other way around. If you could do that, it would save me the time and money Lol. And yeah your 3080 is screwing the cpu results at higher resolutions. Even affects Baseline 3 physics time.

I haven't checked the 20+ pages of this thread but did the 5800X3D 'faster' scores around were done at 1080p instead? And were the GPUs faster?

Because yeah reminder just in case, I ran at 1440p, with 'only' a 3080 12GB (I mean it's not a bad card certainly, but at 1440p I do plan to move on to the 4080, or possibly even the 7900 XTX, haven't decided yet but I'll probably do the move either next month or maybe in May). I'll try to disable the vCache'ed CCD in the BIOS (I think it's a setting about 'Prefer Frequency' somewhere, I'll check more on that in some guides). I'll do the run later tonight or tomorrow with the non-vCache Cores.

Hey guys so, finally done the benchmark thing, I think it all worked as intended.

System is:

7900X3D
32GB DDR5 6000Mhz (CL30)
RTX 3080 12GB
Windows 11

Nothing over-clocked, all base (only automatic manufacturer's OCs and such)

*Notes: I do use Windows 11, but the benchmark - for some reason - reported that I'm using Windows 10... but it's Windows 11. As far as the X3D vCache thing is concerned I'm pretty sure that VAM does run on the CCD portion of the CPU that does have the 3D vCache; the only way to 'ensure' it is the case (that I know of anyway) is to point to the XBOX Game Bar that VAM runs 'as a game' in the options (which I did check, and applied the change), so it should also represent the performance from the perspective of the X3D line of CPUs. And, finally, I ran at 1440p, it's my native monitor res. I know that for CPU-specific results it's probably preferable to run at 1080p but really, I haven't done anything at 1080p in the past 5 or 6 years at this point. It's all 1440p for me. So do keep in mind that these results also used my GPU 'more' than if it had been a 1080p benchmark.

View attachment 223292
Are these results in vanilla install? With only default + benchmark vars installed [without any morphs in local custom folders]?
Or with somewhat bloated, main install?

Also i'm pretty sure there were someone in here testing both 7900XTX and RTX 4080 cards, with a decent CPU, and he decided to keep 4080 cuz it was performing a way better in VaM.

I haven't checked the 20+ pages of this thread but did the 5800X3D 'faster' scores around were done at 1080p instead? And were the GPUs faster?

Because yeah reminder just in case, I ran at 1440p, with 'only' a 3080 12GB (I mean it's not a bad card certainly, but at 1440p I do plan to move on to the 4080, or possibly even the 7900 XTX, haven't decided yet but I'll probably do the move either next month or maybe in May). I'll try to disable the vCache'ed CCD in the BIOS (I think it's a setting about 'Prefer Frequency' somewhere, I'll check more on that in some guides). I'll do the run later tonight or tomorrow with the non-vCache Cores.
Heres a thread with a few tables with a conglomerate of scores. Remember, Baseline-3 Physics Time (ms) is the metric that shows the true cpu performance. Yours was running worse than an i7 9700k/3080/1440p, and 5800x/3080/1440p

Last edited:
Are these results in vanilla install? With only default + benchmark vars installed [without any morphs in local custom folders]?
Or with somewhat bloated, main install?

Also i'm pretty sure there were someone in here testing both 7900XTX and RTX 4080 cards, with a decent CPU, and he decided to keep 4080 cuz it was performing a way better in VaM.

Ah ok that might explain then, yes my current installation is filled to the brink with mods and custom what-nots left and right.

I could re-install in a separate location instead, and re-run on an actual vanilla installation to see if it helps. Thanks for pointing to that, worth a re-do.

Ok guys, I've done two new benchmarks...

BUT...

Please read the following main points before looking at the scores, because there's specific things to consider (after realizing a few things were going on).

===================================================

I realized quickly enough (after checking Resource Monitor as I was testing various games, including VAM too) that my games (and VAM as well) were - in fact - NOT running on the CCD with the 3D vCache. Now, that one shocked me, because I DO use the XBOX Game Bar (as specified in all the guides I've seen so far about how to 'properly' use the X3D lines of processors for gaming purposes, to take full advantage of the extra vCache), the games ARE considered 'as a game' in the Game Bar (VAM was, as well, which I applied manually) AND... on top of that, all my drivers are up to date (Game Bar itself is the latest version, including the Game Bar service version); Chipset (latest for Windows 11, for my specific motherboard model), Audio, Ethernet and of course Graphics; and obviously Windows 11 itself is all up to date.

Which leads me to conclude that - at least as of now - relying on just Windows scheduling in "combination" with the XBOX Game Bar 'solution' does NOT work as described in most of the guides I've seen out there about "how to" make sure that Windows throws Apps at the CCD with the extra vCache. It is _supposed_ to work that way, yes. And I'm 100% sure that most people would tell me I did something wrong but NOPE. I triple-checked everything, nothing is 'wrong', it's just that for some reason everything I was doing was non-3D vCache'ed, going to the CPU portion that is running at a higher Frequency instead (I mean it, everything... Browsing, checking movies on VLC Player, Gaming, using VAM, toying around in Blender... ALL of it was thrown at my Non-3D vCached CCD).

Due to the 'problem' as stated above, I decided to - instead - 'force' the whole "Apps should run on the extra 3D vCache CCD by priority" thing via the BIOS (thankfully, some guides around do recommend to do that, instead of just 'letting' Windows doing it; which obviously didn't work in my case). There's that option in the BIOS, the CPPC or CPCC or whatever it is, can't recall the name right now. But basically, you can go either Auto, Driver (*Auto is just like Driver from what I've seen online, but by default it was Auto for me but... it doesn't seem to work anyways in Windows afterwards, neither would the 'Driver' option I assume), then you can also go with Frequency, or Cache.

Going with Frequency = basically what was happening to me in Windows by 'default', I.E. the games, and any other Apps would first use the Non-3D vCache CCD, favoring the higher frequency Cores (those are non 3D vCached). But, going with the Cache option, however, is what changed everything. It worked, that way. And that way only. Going with Cache meant that everything I did suddenly was thrown at the 3D vCache Cores by priority; and that's what I am sticking with for now.

Which means, to reiterate, that my previous Benchmark results above were indeed NOT representing the extra 3D vCache thing of the 7900X3D.

I decided to re-run the Benchmarks on my current 'bloated' VAM installation still, because I wanted to compare to my previous Benchmark as a baseline point of reference.

With all this said, there might still be a slight "problem" though.

Despite the fact that I did then run the new Benchmarks below on the 3D vCache CCD, it seems like my actual overall CPU frequencies were lower-than-should-have-been nonetheless. By around 300 to 350Mhz, no less (although it's not the end of the world).

So here's the thing.

1) The Non-3D CCD portion of the CPU (at least the 7900X3D model that I know of) "should", normally (under best conditions) boost itself "Up To" 5.6 Ghz (give or take a few dozen points up or down from that of course, it would fluctuate). But, according to Hardware Info (I checked on my 2nd monitor while doing the tests, not just in VAM mind you but in other games as well) the highest-observed boost clock reached 'only' 5.2 Ghz.

2) The extra 3D vCache CCD portion of the CPU "should" normally boost itself "Up to" 5.0Ghz. But, according to Hardware Info, it stayed at around 4.6 Ghz, occasionally reaching 4.75 Ghz 'only'.

So there you have it, there seems to be a 'lack' of around 300 Mhz of boost potential on both CCDs of the CPU.

However, THAT part of the whole situation to me is beyond my capacity to fix. I don't know why that would be. Maybe the vCore voltage in the BIOS isn't high enough? The temperatures were fine during all my tests (using a Noctua cooler with 2 fans, everything seems fine really). I can't really explain why but - in any case - the end result was a rock-solid stable testing session (no crashes, no lag, no freezes, everything was smooth).

===================================================

Ok so... the Benchmarks now...

@ 1440p / With 3D vCache Cores

Benchmark-20230316-015404.png

@ 1080p / With 3D vCache Cores

Benchmark-20230316-034925.png

Conclusion + Important Points to Consider...

There wasn't - ultimately - any significant gains by actually running the Benchmark on the 3D vCache CCD (even though, on paper, there IS some improvement compared to my first Benchmark, but you get the gist, it's not that good).

BUT...

Something else I noticed, regarding the Benchmark itself and how 'representative' it was (or rather, wasn't) of the said performance gains in VAM.

So here's the thing I noticed...

The "Performance Gains" from the Benchmark itself - after more tests in various other Scenes I have - actually shows barely HALF of the actual 'real' gains I DID get in OTHER Scenes I have. Because, yes, I've seen some Scenes where I know exactly the performance I 'used to' have, where it suddenly increased by a solid +20 and in some cases +30 FPS (and that's WITH using ReShade, or Post-Magic effects that also taxes the GPU).

So, yes, it is true that the performance gains In the Benchmark itself aren't good at all, and you'd think "Well, going X3D sucks for VAM then".

NO... it doesn't, I assure people here, there ARE substantial gains. I see them now very well. But they are NOT well-represented (for some reason) in the Benchmark, really it isn't. And I'm not "shitting" on the Benchmark, I'm simply stating what I'm seeing by comparison when I actually load up the Scenes I actually play with when I use VAM (nobody 'plays' with the Benchmark, it's not a universal Scene everyone needs to go in first to then load something Custom, everyone just directly go to their favourite independent Scene and that's it).

So...

With all this being said, one thing I cannot deny is the following...

As you can see in the 2nd Benchmark, the best unconstested gains (at least as far as the Benchmark goes) were - of course - seen only when finally I decreased the resolution from 1440p down to 1080p. Now yes, obviously, that would have been the case by default (even without the 3D vCache stuff). The GPU works less, the CPU works more at lower resolutions; so we're seeing more then what the extra 3D vCache can do.

So there you have it guys.

Quite a rollercoaster of a post but I had to give specific details.

Now, at another date I will probably come back with more results from a 'vanilla', fresh, clean VAM installation. But for now I think the results (under my specific conditions anyway) speak for themselves: The Benchmark isn't exactly representing the actual gains I do see in _other_ Scenes AND my overall performance seemed low originally because - indeed - it wasn't running on the 3D cache CCD.

Alright, my fingers are tired now, phew.

Thanks for that long explanation but... i still think these results are a bit irrelevant...

In terms of VaM performance, the hardware is the main factor for sure, but the 'size' of current installation matters almost equally.
There is a huge difference in performance if the install is bloated. And every VaM install is different, we can't really say 'my vam is 200gb and here are my results'. There is a huge difference even in two the very same 'sized' VaM installs, if one is maintained, and 2nd one is just hoarding stuff.

For example, having 16k female morphs [yeah this number is sick cuz of duplicates i had from early 'var days'] was reducing my fps in performance tab, in the default 1 female person scene by ... 50. And Baseline 3, Simpler Physics tests are 3 persons scenes, with theirs colisions, so you can imagine how much people can loose if they doesn't maintain theirs installs.

So yeah, any actual 'hardware VaM benchmarks' should be made in vanilla Vam. Ofc you can run it on main, bloated one to see the difference between them, but these won't say anything about specific hardware you're using.

I know it's pain in the ass, to have another 20gb VaM install on precious M2\SSD drives, but if U're a creator you actually should have one already for content testing before release

Last edited:
A tale of two CPUs - Check the massive difference in framerate for the 3-some scene (Baseline 3), just incredible:

Ryzen 2700X & 32GB DDR4 @ 3000Mhz

Benchmark-20230314-183133.png

Ryzen 7900X-3D & 32GB DDR5 @ 5800Mhz

Benchmark-20230316-081145.png

Not tried VR yet, I have a Quest 2 and use the link cable, but will give it a go this weekend.

A tale of two CPUs - Check the massive difference in framerate for the 3-some scene (Baseline 3), just incredible:

Ryzen 2700X & 32GB DDR4 @ 3000Mhz

View attachment 223632

Ryzen 7900X-3D & 32GB DDR5 @ 5800Mhz

View attachment 223633

Not tried VR yet, I have a Quest 2 and use the link cable, but will give it a go this weekend.
Please tried disabling the non-3d ccd in bios, and use a clean vam, the baseline3 score is not better than 5600....
5600.png

So... So far both 1080p x3d tests are worse than mine at 4K ><
And i'm having there lower scores in both GPU heavy tests than the one with 3080
Benchmark-20230106-162805.png

There must be something off in there... There were a few people having better scores with older gen X3D chips comparing to non V-cache ones.

They're even worse than my previous build, with 3 years old 10900k [paired with 3090]
Benchmark-20220108-231056.png

Just re-run benchmark, for the first time at version 4, with updated VaM and...
It went slightly better than V3 with 1.20.77. My physics time at Baseline 3 got reduced by 0.05ms oO
So, even if current benchmark 'should be comparable' with older versions, VaM updates gave us some boost.

This was a testrun for the 7950x3d i did a while back.
Seems like yours GPU is either power limited, or not performing in full potential.

Also seems like Intel finally got some competition, 7950X3D seems to have better low1% in every single test.
But it also so unstable. It loosing in averages, in very single test again, by 10-20%

Benchmark-20230316-194250.png

A note: I'm using now 4 sticks [yeah i'm dumb and cheap] of DDR5 5600.
I actually bought 2 sticks of 6000 a few months back, and it gave me 1-3% boost, but i returned it cuz was a bit short of cash. It was totally a good decision tho. At the time i returned them, they were cheaper by 100$ to buy already, 2 weeks after i bought them lol

So... So far both 1080p x3d tests are worse than mine at 4K ><
And i'm having there lower scores in both GPU heavy tests than the one with 3080
View attachment 223745
There must be something off in there... There were a few people having better scores with older gen X3D chips comparing to non V-cache ones.

They're even worse than my previous build, with 3 years old 10900k [paired with 3090]
View attachment 223746
Im confused. One test is at 4k, and your older test is at 1080p. What was the comparison again?

Seems like yours GPU is either power limited, or not performing in full potential.

The machine I ran the test on is tuned for efficiency, drawing less than 1200Watts with 4 4090s running at full load.
This was before the rtx6000 ada generation card became widely available, we use those instead now.

But besides the fact that the 4090 has slightly less performance than a out-of-the-box one or a OCed one.
I think it is clear that the 7950x3d is alright, but the 13900k is still king and cheaper.

Im confused. One test is at 4k, and your older test is at 1080p. What was the comparison again?
I was saying that my test in 4K on intel platform went better than Sharty McShartPants and BStarG2 at 1080.
And then, showed it even went betetr on my old PC [10th gen intel]
Just proving there is something wrong either with bloated VaM, or cpu configuration

I think it is clear that the 7950x3d is alright, but the 13900k is still king and cheaper.
Thats not exactly true. There is a room in every physics based test [waiting time]. If Yours GPU would perform at my values, yours results would be probably higher than mine.

ALRIGHT guys...

It is time, I've done a FRESH installation, praise all that is made of chocolate! 🕺

I've only done a 1080p run, however. As it better shows the CPU performance (and I suppose it's the main point with the X3D line of CPUs). I just want to reiterate that - for me - everything is running at 1440p (outside of Benchmarking I mean).

With this said, here are the benchmarks:

(For Reference, This is with my 'normal, bloated' VAM installation at 1080p, same as last time)

3D vcache 1080p.png

(Now THIS one is with a fresh VAM installation; ONLY direct download from the Launcher + Benchmark VAR + Dependencies, NOTHING else)

3D vcache 1080p Fresh Install.png

Now, I do believe that my 'bloated installation' performance IS relevant, because it actually does show (with actual measurable differences from a reference point) what it REALLY is like when using a VAM installation dating back to a good year+ by now (at least in my case anyway). My "real" VAM installation has a 208GB AddonPackages folder, 34GB Custom folder, and a 15GB Saves folder. On top of that, I use ReShade too, not to mention the occasional Scenes with MacGrubber's Post-Magic kicking in as well (when I don't use ReShade, that is).

So purely speaking in terms of 'performance gap' for my system, going from my normal VAM install to a fresh install, we're talking about:

* in favour of a fresh VAM installation *

+15 FPS
(Average, Overall)
+12 FPS (Minimum, Overall)
+65 FPS (Maximum, Overall)

The best gains, however, are of course seen in the individual results of each Scenes, with perhaps the sole exception of the Mirror Scene; since that Scene does depend more on the GPU performance. The other Scenes, however, do see a significant boost in performance in a fresh VAM installation.

Now, here's the thing...

Realistically-speaking, to 'maintain' the performance levels of a "Fresh VAM Installation", VAM users would actually have to create multiple fresh VAM folders, and limit the amount of custom-whatever-it-is you want to download and use for the program.

But the irony is that... well, that's not realistic to expect people will do, in general. A single 'fresh' VAM installation is 19.5GB (at least one that is set up for doing this Benchmark, with the dependencies).

You'd ideally have to do this:

Create a new, fresh VAM installations for

1) Scenes with _any_ type of movement / animation; and keep that below a certain total number of Scenes and downloaded Assets, after which you'd have to do another installation for that same kind of Scenes, and keep repeating.
2) Scenes with _any_ requirement for Soft Body Physics to be activated (those are rare, but they exist, Scenes for example where a sheet of tissue is dropped on a character and needs to collide and physically-react with the Scene, or a Scene where the character needs to undress... like a Striptease Scene, etc).
3) Sex Scenes, in general, should just be in their own installation (goes a bit in line with point one above, Scenes with motion in them).
4) Scenes with multiple characters (3+ Atom characters in the same Scene would 100% require the best possible and fresh VAM installation to ensure high performance, because all VAM creators know that past 2 characters we're starting to drain on the system's juice big time).
5) Scenes with multiple Lights (by 'multiple' I mean complex Scenes with maybe 5 or 6+ Light sources, etc).
6) Dancing Scenes, especially ones with undressing happening at the same time, or complex 'Stage'-like Scenes with moving Lights, lots of triggers and scripts and Soft Body Physics (especially if the character is the one doing the undressing), those Scenes require the best possible performance we can get.

I mean I'm sure I'm skipping a bunch here.

The point is, everyone "should" keep their VAM installation relatively 'light' and nearly in a fresh state.

But that's not really what most people do. My actual main point here is that a fresh VAM installation Benchmark run is NOT an actual representation of the general performance people would get with the computers we're doing the Benchmark with, in the first place. Simply because - over time - the vast majority of VAM users will NOT do this. Most of them will keep adding, and adding, unless they are made fully aware by whatever method that VAM 1.x is not optimized to enough degree as to 'support' its own weight-over-time from added custom downloaded content (whatever it may be, accumulated Morphs, accumulated Textures, custom Models, Saves, Scripts, Assets of any types).

Now I plead guilty on one thing here: I did 100% neglect my own main VAM installation over time, absolutely.

However, I do NOT have the time (even as a semi-Creator myself) to constantly keep track of everything I download, put them in a specific VAM installation, and then keep track on THAT specific VAM installation's performance status. That is way too much micro management to do for someone like me (I'm barely an 'intermediate' at this, at anything I do).

So anyways. I do see the benefits of a fresh VAM installation and, yes, I will definitely try to at least keep maybe a 2nd installation to alleviate the original installation's performance. But beyond maybe 2 installations I simply cannot be bothered - realistically - to keep track of all that and constantly run Benchmarks. With a 'beefy' system I think most people would be able to keep a relatively-bloated installation that would perform decently even over time. But obviously, the people out there using VAM with more hardware limitations would actually have to do all of that 'best Scenario' thing when it comes to keeping track of how much content they have in their installation. But it's a headache.

The point of running benchmark on 'vanilla' install is to show the differences in hardware, not how well it will perform in every user install.
I think most of the VaM [and unity games in general...] users does realize more stuff=lower performance \ less stable app, especially if it's user created content.
Like i said last time, there will be a big differences even with the same sized installs.
For example, yours install is ~ 200GB +34GB, I assume you have 1,5-2,5k vars installed.

My main install is 550GB with a bit above 6500 vars.
I'm loosing, comparing to a fresh vanilla test, i posted results earlier today:
~ 26 fps average
~ 22 fps min1%
- max1% - both tests reached 300fps cap
Benchmark-20230316-213214.png

But
Before i started 'fixing' my install i was loosing a waaaaaay more.
Right now, my install doesn't have any red errors at app launch.
It's also heavily cleaned from duplicates, morphs especially, either by manually repacking 'bad vars' or via scripts. I have also disabled preload for morphs on all vars which aren't a 'morph package'. No idea if it's matters, but all vars which had preload on, were repacked, not simply disabled in VaM.
I'm pretty sure the only duplicated morphs are from my own creations in custom folder. I'm at ~8,2k of female morphs atm.

Most people are smarter than me, and using sym links, or var managers [i dont even know name for any of them lol] to organize and load only vars they want in current session. I'm just doing brute force - fixing intalled vars to reduce the 'bloat' effect on my end, and deal with it.

Last edited:
The point of running benchmark on 'vanilla' install is to show the differences in hardware, not how well it will perform in every user install.
I think most of the VaM [and unity games in general...] users does realize more stuff=lower performance \ less stable app, especially if it's user created content.

Here is the thing though, from what I understand that's exactly what the Benchmark is not doing.

Considering this:

1)
The general performance in VAM 1.x degrades over time with more content added. Fact? We all agree to that? If yes, then keep reading below. If not, then ok that's the starting point where the rest of this conversation becomes useless. But I think most people here do agree with this.

Ok. Starting with this agreed-upon point, let's move on below...

2) Considering the above is inevitable, it means that...

A) Running the Benchmark IS a representation of the User's _Current_ VAM installation 'Health Status', more than it is a sort-of Synthetic Benchmark used to measure the actual performance of the User's computer.

B)
The Benchmark "should" run ONLY under a "fresh" VAM installation to help better represent the performance that the User "should" get when using VAM. (rather than the performance the user should get from their actual computer, in general).

C) The actual problem with the above statement is two-fold...

D) Because, for a start, a default, fresh, new and "best health status possible" installation for VAM already downloads and installs 19.5 GB worth of content. Not ALL of that default "fresh installation" content IS being used for the Benchmark for a start. Do we all agree with that here? Is ALL of that content 100% absolutely necessary to run the Benchmark?

E) Which means that - at best - the Benchmark results indicate the performance of the 19.5 GB installation status of VAM.

In other words, if the actual real 'goal' of the Benchmark was to indicate to the User the overall performance of the computer's capabilities, then there SHOULD be a completely NEW, much smaller, separate download for VAM users with the express and only unique goal to JUST run the Benchmark and NOT have to download 19.5 GB of data as well as the Benchmark + its Dependencies on top of it. In other words, we should have a "Benchmark-only VAM installation" available somewhere, for start.

It is, in my view, a contradictory situation that we all have with the Benchmark. I say contradictory, but I do NOT say that the Benchmark is useless.

I only say that the Benchmark is not doing what people think it's doing. Not realistically.

The Benchmark, for all intent and purposes is a Per-User situation more than it is a Universal indication of the User's actual computer capabilities. That sort of Benchmark already exists and they're the usual Benchmarks being run in reviews out there like Cinebench, Prime 95 (for stability, or for maximum frequencies or highest temperature tolerance limits), etc.

I DO believe that the Benchmark is useful for 2 main things:

1) It is useful in the sense that it DOES represent your actual VAM 'health status' in regards to how "fresh" Vs how "bloated" it is.

2) It is useful in the sense that it DOES also represent HOW MUCH actual "bloat" you might want to remove, because you could re-run the Benchmark as many times as you want (from a default "bloated" installation) AFTER removing / cleaning stuff and then checking how much removing that extra bloat improved the performance.

So in the end, for me anyway, the situation is this:

- It is unrealistic to expect people to run the Benchmark from a fresh installation only, and only then to do what... to keep it like that and never download anything? The majority of VAM Users' installation Will. Eventually. Degrade. Over. Time., which means that the initial 'fresh installation' Results are not a long-term representation of _anything_.

- The actual Benchmark Results Window (or the Scene's Interface when we load the Scene) SHOULD BE UPDATED with a Clear-As-Day message for everyone and tell the entire user base 1 very simple fact. It should state something like "Please note that VAM will suffer from performance degradation over time with added assets and content that you may download. Make sure that your current VAM installation is as-new-as-possible _before_ running this Benchmark to ensure the best possible representation of your current VAM installation's performance.". Because that IS what the Benchmark does due to how VAM 1.x operates and reacts with added content.

Maybe the 'designed goal' of the Benchmark IS to actually represent the system's performance. But the problem is due to the very nature of VAM 1.x it represents the user installation health status more than anything else. It's not a BAD thing, per se. It's just that I think people here interpret the Results differently and they probably should. And again I say this because - ultimately - the majority of users will NOT simply use VAM under pure 100% "vanilla" status and be happy with that and never touch any downloads ever. That's like asking any one of us here to play Skyrim without any single mods after just installing the base game. It's just unrealistic.

Then again, I suppose in the end that most of this is based off of my own views, at worst.

Sorry if any of this 'offends' people but I just don't see the problem in the fact that the Benchmark represents the VAM installation's performance, more than it represents the user's computer. It IS a good thing that it does show the performance in VAM, specifically, and that much it does at 100% capacity. But what it does _not_ really do is to tell the user how 'good or bad' the system is in general, that's just not the case. The VAM results won't be an indication on how well you'd perform in Blender, or when browsing some web site. The VAM Benchmark is good for VAM itself, not to measure the rest of your system for every day use (heck, not even for gaming, as most games anyway don't even run on Unity, much less the specific version of Unity used by VAM 1.x as of right now).

the same performance as 3060ti

It's within 3% of the 3060ti going by benchmarking sites, which is reflected in the results. My results are obviously being bottlenecked by the GPU rather than the CPU as it was before, which was the main reason for me doing the two tests. If I stuck a 4090 in there then my results would increase much further.

I am happy with the results, my 2700X did me well for the years I had it, and hopefully the 7900x-3D does the same.

Here is the thing though, from what I understand that's exactly what the Benchmark is not doing.

Considering this:

1) The general performance in VAM 1.x degrades over time with more content added. Fact? We all agree to that? If yes, then keep reading below. If not, then ok that's the starting point where the rest of this conversation becomes useless. But I think most people here do agree with this.

Ok. Starting with this agreed-upon point, let's move on below...

2) Considering the above is inevitable, it means that...

A) Running the Benchmark IS a representation of the User's _Current_ VAM installation 'Health Status', more than it is a sort-of Synthetic Benchmark used to measure the actual performance of the User's computer.

B) The Benchmark "should" run ONLY under a "fresh" VAM installation to help better represent the performance that the User "should" get when using VAM. (rather than the performance the user should get from their actual computer, in general).

C) The actual problem with the above statement is two-fold...

D) Because, for a start, a default, fresh, new and "best health status possible" installation for VAM already downloads and installs 19.5 GB worth of content. Not ALL of that default "fresh installation" content IS being used for the Benchmark for a start. Do we all agree with that here? Is ALL of that content 100% absolutely necessary to run the Benchmark?

E) Which means that - at best - the Benchmark results indicate the performance of the 19.5 GB installation status of VAM.

In other words, if the actual real 'goal' of the Benchmark was to indicate to the User the overall performance of the computer's capabilities, then there SHOULD be a completely NEW, much smaller, separate download for VAM users with the express and only unique goal to JUST run the Benchmark and NOT have to download 19.5 GB of data as well as the Benchmark + its Dependencies on top of it. In other words, we should have a "Benchmark-only VAM installation" available somewhere, for start.

It is, in my view, a contradictory situation that we all have with the Benchmark. I say contradictory, but I do NOT say that the Benchmark is useless.

I only say that the Benchmark is not doing what people think it's doing. Not realistically.

The Benchmark, for all intent and purposes is a Per-User situation more than it is a Universal indication of the User's actual computer capabilities. That sort of Benchmark already exists and they're the usual Benchmarks being run in reviews out there like Cinebench, Prime 95 (for stability, or for maximum frequencies or highest temperature tolerance limits), etc.

I DO believe that the Benchmark is useful for 2 main things:

1) It is useful in the sense that it DOES represent your actual VAM 'health status' in regards to how "fresh" Vs how "bloated" it is.

2) It is useful in the sense that it DOES also represent HOW MUCH actual "bloat" you might want to remove, because you could re-run the Benchmark as many times as you want (from a default "bloated" installation) AFTER removing / cleaning stuff and then checking how much removing that extra bloat improved the performance.

So in the end, for me anyway, the situation is this:

- It is unrealistic to expect people to run the Benchmark from a fresh installation only, and only then to do what... to keep it like that and never download anything? The majority of VAM Users' installation Will. Eventually. Degrade. Over. Time., which means that the initial 'fresh installation' Results are not a long-term representation of _anything_.

- The actual Benchmark Results Window (or the Scene's Interface when we load the Scene) SHOULD BE UPDATED with a Clear-As-Day message for everyone and tell the entire user base 1 very simple fact. It should state something like "Please note that VAM will suffer from performance degradation over time with added assets and content that you may download. Make sure that your current VAM installation is as-new-as-possible _before_ running this Benchmark to ensure the best possible representation of your current VAM installation's performance.". Because that IS what the Benchmark does due to how VAM 1.x operates and reacts with added content.

Maybe the 'designed goal' of the Benchmark IS to actually represent the system's performance. But the problem is due to the very nature of VAM 1.x it represents the user installation health status more than anything else. It's not a BAD thing, per se. It's just that I think people here interpret the Results differently and they probably should. And again I say this because - ultimately - the majority of users will NOT simply use VAM under pure 100% "vanilla" status and be happy with that and never touch any downloads ever. That's like asking any one of us here to play Skyrim without any single mods after just installing the base game. It's just unrealistic.

Then again, I suppose in the end that most of this is based off of my own views, at worst.

Sorry if any of this 'offends' people but I just don't see the problem in the fact that the Benchmark represents the VAM installation's performance, more than it represents the user's computer. It IS a good thing that it does show the performance in VAM, specifically, and that much it does at 100% capacity. But what it does _not_ really do is to tell the user how 'good or bad' the system is in general, that's just not the case. The VAM results won't be an indication on how well you'd perform in Blender, or when browsing some web site. The VAM Benchmark is good for VAM itself, not to measure the rest of your system for every day use (heck, not even for gaming, as most games anyway don't even run on Unity, much less the specific version of Unity used by VAM 1.x as of right now).

You can use this plugin Other - var browser | Virt-A-Mate Hub (virtamate.com)
it just move your AddonPackages to another folder, when you open a scence, it will auto move back the scence reference file to your AddonPackages
simple idea

ALRIGHT guys...

It is time, I've done a FRESH installation, praise all that is made of chocolate! 🕺

I've only done a 1080p run, however. As it better shows the CPU performance (and I suppose it's the main point with the X3D line of CPUs). I just want to reiterate that - for me - everything is running at 1440p (outside of Benchmarking I mean).

With this said, here are the benchmarks:

(For Reference, This is with my 'normal, bloated' VAM installation at 1080p, same as last time)

View attachment 223811

(Now THIS one is with a fresh VAM installation; ONLY direct download from the Launcher + Benchmark VAR + Dependencies, NOTHING else)

View attachment 223812

Now, I do believe that my 'bloated installation' performance IS relevant, because it actually does show (with actual measurable differences from a reference point) what it REALLY is like when using a VAM installation dating back to a good year+ by now (at least in my case anyway). My "real" VAM installation has a 208GB AddonPackages folder, 34GB Custom folder, and a 15GB Saves folder. On top of that, I use ReShade too, not to mention the occasional Scenes with MacGrubber's Post-Magic kicking in as well (when I don't use ReShade, that is).

So purely speaking in terms of 'performance gap' for my system, going from my normal VAM install to a fresh install, we're talking about:

* in favour of a fresh VAM installation *

+15 FPS
(Average, Overall)
+12 FPS (Minimum, Overall)
+65 FPS (Maximum, Overall)

The best gains, however, are of course seen in the individual results of each Scenes, with perhaps the sole exception of the Mirror Scene; since that Scene does depend more on the GPU performance. The other Scenes, however, do see a significant boost in performance in a fresh VAM installation.

Now, here's the thing...

Realistically-speaking, to 'maintain' the performance levels of a "Fresh VAM Installation", VAM users would actually have to create multiple fresh VAM folders, and limit the amount of custom-whatever-it-is you want to download and use for the program.

But the irony is that... well, that's not realistic to expect people will do, in general. A single 'fresh' VAM installation is 19.5GB (at least one that is set up for doing this Benchmark, with the dependencies).

You'd ideally have to do this:

Create a new, fresh VAM installations for

1) Scenes with _any_ type of movement / animation; and keep that below a certain total number of Scenes and downloaded Assets, after which you'd have to do another installation for that same kind of Scenes, and keep repeating.
2) Scenes with _any_ requirement for Soft Body Physics to be activated (those are rare, but they exist, Scenes for example where a sheet of tissue is dropped on a character and needs to collide and physically-react with the Scene, or a Scene where the character needs to undress... like a Striptease Scene, etc).
3) Sex Scenes, in general, should just be in their own installation (goes a bit in line with point one above, Scenes with motion in them).
4) Scenes with multiple characters (3+ Atom characters in the same Scene would 100% require the best possible and fresh VAM installation to ensure high performance, because all VAM creators know that past 2 characters we're starting to drain on the system's juice big time).
5) Scenes with multiple Lights (by 'multiple' I mean complex Scenes with maybe 5 or 6+ Light sources, etc).
6) Dancing Scenes, especially ones with undressing happening at the same time, or complex 'Stage'-like Scenes with moving Lights, lots of triggers and scripts and Soft Body Physics (especially if the character is the one doing the undressing), those Scenes require the best possible performance we can get.

I mean I'm sure I'm skipping a bunch here.

The point is, everyone "should" keep their VAM installation relatively 'light' and nearly in a fresh state.

But that's not really what most people do. My actual main point here is that a fresh VAM installation Benchmark run is NOT an actual representation of the general performance people would get with the computers we're doing the Benchmark with, in the first place. Simply because - over time - the vast majority of VAM users will NOT do this. Most of them will keep adding, and adding, unless they are made fully aware by whatever method that VAM 1.x is not optimized to enough degree as to 'support' its own weight-over-time from added custom downloaded content (whatever it may be, accumulated Morphs, accumulated Textures, custom Models, Saves, Scripts, Assets of any types).

Now I plead guilty on one thing here: I did 100% neglect my own main VAM installation over time, absolutely.

However, I do NOT have the time (even as a semi-Creator myself) to constantly keep track of everything I download, put them in a specific VAM installation, and then keep track on THAT specific VAM installation's performance status. That is way too much micro management to do for someone like me (I'm barely an 'intermediate' at this, at anything I do).

So anyways. I do see the benefits of a fresh VAM installation and, yes, I will definitely try to at least keep maybe a 2nd installation to alleviate the original installation's performance. But beyond maybe 2 installations I simply cannot be bothered - realistically - to keep track of all that and constantly run Benchmarks. With a 'beefy' system I think most people would be able to keep a relatively-bloated installation that would perform decently even over time. But obviously, the people out there using VAM with more hardware limitations would actually have to do all of that 'best Scenario' thing when it comes to keeping track of how much content they have in their installation. But it's a headache.
Cool! that's true score with 7900x3d, 3080 is stronger than my 3080ti in baseline3! My bottleneck is cpu obviously
3080ti.png

The majority of VAM Users' installation Will. Eventually. Degrade. Over. Time., which means that the initial 'fresh installation' Results are not a long-term representation of _anything_.
You're right, it will degrate. Thats why most people consider results with 'bloated' installs completely irrelevant.
Because ... what the point? Benchmark is made to compare systems, with as much identical conditions as possible.
As for common sense most people consider 'vanilla' install as base for it.
It's obvious choice. It's everyone starting point.
And most content creators have separate base installs already - to test theirs content if it works as intended.

In terms of hardware comparision, runing benchamrk on bloated installs is pointless.
It obvious that install with just 2k clothing and hairs vars [without morphs packages\looks\scenes] will go much better than the one with same amount of totally mixed vars. Then suddenly 3 years old budged build with decent GPU, will overperform up-to-date high end.
You saw it yourself. U were loosing about 7-10% with mid sized install.
Then people will see yours results, with unknown installed content, and compare it with other people, who posted theirs results with 'hardware comparision in mind' - vanilla, and will think: Okay so new chips sucks, they are worse than 3 years old 10th gen intel.

But you're also right that benchmark can be used to measure how bad user install is comparing to vanilla. I never thought about it, and was using for that just default 3p scene. At my peak, i was loosing over 50 fps at 1080p in there...

View attachment 223776
This was a testrun for the 7950x3d i did a while back.

Would you mind doing a run with alternate CCDs disabled? I'm looking to build a new PC and am wondering if VAM benefits more from the 3D v-cache CCD or the higher clock CCD (and therefore whether its worth it to wait for the 7800X3D in April).

The other user's 7900X3D benches are nice, but the fewer v-cache cores make it unrepresentative of the rest of the 7000X3D lineup.

EDIT: alternatively, do you know if the core parking was working right and VAM was running on the v-cache cores?

Back
Top Bottom