Question Beginner level regarding saving an appearance preset from a scene

HappySimTime

Reactions
The process of saving an appearance preset I'm fine with but what I'm not sure of is can I delete the scene after I make the appearance preset? Is my saved preset tied to that original scene VAR in any way? Will the appearance preset still function in other scenes if I delete the original scene it came from? Just trying to keep the library clean.

The process of saving an appearance preset I'm fine with but what I'm not sure of is can I delete the scene after I make the appearance preset? Is my saved preset tied to that original scene VAR in any way? Will the appearance preset still function in other scenes if I delete the original scene it came from? Just trying to keep the library clean.

technically the appearance preset is a standalone independent file BUT
when you save it, it saves only the configuration of the person atom. Meanwhile:
- clothes
- hair items
- textures
- morphs
are only references in that configuration file. It's like saving a website page but just the html code, meanwhile the images from that page remain online.

So if the person has any of those things that are referenced from a .var file, they won't load anymore if you delete the .var file.
That will likely be the case with most looks you'll find in vars. You can check it manually by opening the .vap appearance files from Custom\Atom\Person\Appearance in notepad and looking for ":/". References will be like creator.addon.1:/some/file/name. You can save those references locally if you want to and have the model fully local but it's a bit of work

Upvote 0
technically the appearance preset is a standalone independent file BUT
when you save it, it saves only the configuration of the person atom. Meanwhile:
- clothes
- hair items
- textures
- morphs
are only references in that configuration file. It's like saving a website page but just the html code, meanwhile the images from that page remain online.

So if the person has any of those things that are referenced from a .var file, they won't load anymore if you delete the .var file.
That will likely be the case with most looks you'll find in vars. You can check it manually by opening the .vap appearance files from Custom\Atom\Person\Appearance in notepad and looking for ":/". References will be like creator.addon.1:/some/file/name. You can save those references locally if you want to and have the model fully local but it's a bit of work
This explains it perfectly because when I've tested it I seem to get mixed results and just decided to keep all my VARs to be safe. TY

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom