• Hi Guest!

This is a notice regarding recent upgrades to the Hub. Over the last month, we have added several new features to improve your experience.
    You can check out the details in our official announcement!

Question Batch extracing looks/presets from scenes?

KajaGoo

Reactions
Hi

I've been trying to extract looks from scenes and I had some success with a Notepad++ macro. Unfortunately, if a scene is complicated, the extracted look is not complete, it does not have a proper skin texture, a few other additional appearance settings also seem to be missing.

Is there a plugin / script to make such a job much easier?

Thanks!
KG

Why don't you just load the scene, see if the look is worth to keep, and then save the look as appearance preset?
I know, batch converting is cool, but ...
Or do you want to delete the scene's Var file after that, so that you have to extract the textures to an other location?
Sorry, I don't know such an automatic tool.

Upvote 0
Why don't you just load the scene, see if the look is worth to keep, and then save the look as appearance preset?

Yeah, sounds like a good idea, I've already tried that... But with 1000s scenes in /Saves/scenes and another 1000s in VARs this task doesn't look pleasant anymore, doesn't it? 🤣

Or do you want to delete the scene's Var file after that, so that you have to extract the textures to an other location?

Correct, I am doing a general cleaning process. I've been using VAM for not longer than 30 days, and I am amazed how much content I was able to download for it. Now, someone has to do the dirty job of choosing what is cool and what belongs to the recycle bin. With an automated look extraction tool it would be so much faster.

But of course If I don't find such tool, I will do it manually or refine my macro. It is a good way to learn new, useful things.

Upvote 0
Why don't you just load the scene, see if the look is worth to keep,

I've been doing this for a few hours and my head is about to explode. The problem I have with this manual extraction is the file choosing system in VAM - it is very annoying. I choose a scene to load, save a look (to do this I have to close the Open Scene window) and then, when I want to open another scene, I have to search for it, because it does not remember the position of the last loaded scene in the Load Scene window.

At this point, I would pay for an automatic extraction tool, because it would save me lots of time.

Upvote 0
@KajaGoo Sorry, it is your own decision, but do you really need all those looks from so many scenes? Once you have learned how to create your very own private looks, you most likely will not even waste a minute of your time with most of them anymore. It is somewhat easy and it is a lot of fun! Just my own humble opinion.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom