Question Atom links made within Timeline aren't triggered when using collision trigger

xbs333

Reactions
I might be missing something here so forgive me if I'm wrong, but here's my current situation:

I have two animations. Scene 1 and 2. 1 is programmed to not loop and play 2 when 1 is done. Scene 1's hand node is not linked to anything, and simply turned on, so I can animate it. Scene 2 is a static pose and the hand node is linked to the hip, so I just need to turn on auto thruster and it does the job for scene 2.

My problem is Scene 2's hand seems to inherit Scene 1's hand state (which is ON, not linked to the hip, just on) whenever I use a collision trigger to begin Scene 1. My expected outcome is: Trigger collision > Scene 1 plays (can't turn on AutoThrust) and finishes > Scene 2 autoplays > since 2 is a static pose AutoThrust button can now be pressed and the hand should move with the hip.

But what happens in Scene 2 is the hand does nothing whenever I press AutoThrust button. selecting the Person's hand node reveals it didn't switch to parent linked mode. Using a button to manually trigger Scene 2 works. It confirms that Scene 2 does in fact have a link to the hip, and it animates alongside the hip when I turn on AutoThrust. It's only when I use a collision trigger to go through Scene 1 first where my problem starts.

Last edited:
Might be better to share your scene here to check what may be the problem. It's a little difficult to imagine it from the writing and think of things that may be wrong or even not mentioned.

Upvote 0
Hey, took a while sorry. Was troubleshooting it and found a workaround: Just check the box for apply pose on transition within Timeline. The person jerks a bunch since it's loading the saved pose but... It at least gets me most of the way where I want to go. If there's a way to do this without having to check the box, I'd pick that for sure.

To explain things further:
1686806034562.png
1686806087813.png

Here are the two animations. Starting with Left pic you'll notice hands are NOT linked. Right pic, hands are linked.

There's a collider trigger near the belly. Trigger it to progress and - supposedly - end the animation in Right pic.

Expected outcome: since hands are linked to hip on the last animation, pressing auto thrust button should also make hands thrust alongside hips.
What actually happens: hands don't get linked

By unchecking apply pose on transition to forcefully trigger the problem I was having: the last animation technically loads, but the hands aren't linked. I know the Right pic still loaded because I added a head movement just to make sure the animation actually loads. It really was just the atom links that didn't work.

Edit:
Uploaded it here anyway

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Something must be missing from the animation you shared. There's no saved Pose on the animations, without it you can't use "apply pose on transition" as described, also no linked hands at any point.
There's also no "auto thrust" button.

I'm making changes to try replicating the scene as you described above with the missing parts.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I added the missing parts and teste some scenarios.
Setting a pose for anim 3 (with parent link) and 1 (without parent link to reset) has to go with "apply pose on transition" and there's that jump that is not so pretty to see. I didn't see any easy way around that.
I tested also Timeline's parenting, but as it's animation based and your animation ends, it wouldn't help in that way. I then made anim 3 as a loop to use parenting, but the link type is a Physics link which messes it all up.

I think your best bet here is to not use auto thruster and instead make that movement as a animation, or go with a more complicated setup.

Upvote 0
Well that was embarrassing. Sorry about that. I was cleaning it and probably deleted something important... I uploaded the full scene below, if you're still interested.

Your last comments sound like you managed to recreate it successfully, and you also decided apply pose was the best solution. Right now I'm stuck between doing apply pose, or just letting the hands not auto thrust alongside the hips anymore. If I press them hard enough against the hips they still do a bit of movement anyway due to friction, so there's still that option. I wasn't aware of Timeline's parenting feature, I'll look into it, thanks for mentioning. I've been using VaM's parenting window this whole time.

I'm opting to stick with auto thruster for now instead of making a heckaton of animation segments for all the thrusting layers, mostly because it's simpler to let it automate the animation and just design a ui around manipulating to get your desired effect. Took me a while:
1686881156965.png

A lot of the options I can see Timeline pulling off with enough sweat and tears, but I feel like Auto Thrust saves me 1-3 weeks of work, as I'm not really familiar with overlapping animations yet (this is my first - and possibly only - personal scene). Figured I'm already committed to AutoThrust at this point.

I uploaded the full scene below if you wanna check it out and fiddle with the Auto Thrust buttons. Maybe you can appreciate how simpler it is compared to animating manually. But idk, I just saw your uploads and you definitely don't need help from auto thruster haha. I wish I could've seen your awesome template-style scenes sooner, and I might not have needed to make my own!

Attachments

• xbs333.atom_link_demo_v2.3.var
    265.8 KB · Views: 0
  • xbs333.atom_link_demo_v2.3.var.depend.txt
    1.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah, the best option depends on the full range of things you want to do in the scene. There's compromises everywhere with plenty of discovery involved.
I used before auto-thruster but it created some different problems for me so I decided to change tactics. To my needs Timeline worked well, but my needs were different than yours. You do what works best for you, that's the key point.
Good luck.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom