Ashen Hat

GossamerVR

Featured Contributor
Reactions
GossamerVR submitted a new resource:

Ashen Hat - An Homage to a gunslinger hat (with hair-clipping)

Hello Darlings,

This is a custom asset with 4 prefabs. They all look the same, but have combinations of collision and hair clipping.

Prefabs with 'collision' in the name have a mesh collider present. It's designed to give a little extra room for the head, but can still get in the way when wearing it.

Prefabs with 'noclip' in the name have a mesh bubble that hides hair that might stick through the hat...

Read more about this resource...

GossamerVR updated Ashen Hat with a new update entry:

Better clipping and more options.

Sorry to update so soon after the original share, but the clipping bubble was just too obnoxious when any glass, ui, or transparency-ready object was behind the character. Here are the changes:

• changed the clipping render queue to affect less stuff. it's now 2410, or AlphaTest-40
  • changed the clipping bubble to be more hat-shaped
  • added a medium and a small clipping option to make any render issues more subtle if there's not a lot of hair issue.
  • separated the collider to...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Hi GossamerVR,
Your asset is really cool !
I would like to make something like that with my CUA object. I can see that you use the hat mesh and the hair clipping bubble object with a specific shader that is above the hat to clip the hair. I think it's about playing with render cue into Unity and VAM, to not clip the hat but only hair.
Could you give me some advice ?
I've done the hat object and the "bubble" to hide hair, but I don't know how to create this shader (something about stencil buffers
Thanks !

Hi GossamerVR,
Your asset is really cool !
I would like to make something like that with my CUA object. I can see that you use the hat mesh and the hair clipping bubble object with a specific shader that is above the hat to clip the hair. I think it's about playing with render cue into Unity and VAM, to not clip the hat but only hair.
Could you give me some advice ?
I've done the hat object and the "bubble" to hide hair, but I don't know how to create this shader (something about stencil buffers
Thanks !

Thanks!
The CUA also has a prefab with just the clipping surface so you can use it with other hats/ assets too if you want.
Also, the shader and the hat mesh are available here https://www.patreon.com/posts/ashen-leather-70946983

It's easy in this case, no stencil buffer is needed, there just needs to be a transparent material overwriting the hair / other transparent materials, so it's all about the render queue. The shader is extremely simple.

Back
Top Bottom