Any possibility of a gamma slider being added to a plugin or 1.24 update? Am I over looking one somewhere?

azel1221

Reactions
So I've never really used VAM outside of VR, but recently my headset (an aged Index) went on the fritz and forced me to try desktop mode. Having "mastered" all my content entirely in VR, I've noticed many of my scenes are completely unusable on a monitor as the gamma seems to vary wildly across desktop and VR (desktop is MUCH darker). Unsure if this is the Index's display calibration, or some oddity with VAM itself, but a gamma slider would be a very easy fix to fine tune scenes across formats without having to manually redesign every scene's lighting model. Using editing software to up the gamma 0.2 or so in screenshots or captures seems to come much closer to what I see in VR.

Last edited:
If you go to Scene Lighting, you'll see some general scene lighting settings there. Other than that, you might be able to use MacGruber's PostMagic and LUT presets. I have some presets in AEFilters with higher gamma values

Last edited by a moderator:
If you go to Scene Lighting, you'll see some general scene lighting settings there. Other than that, you might be able to use MacGruber's PostMagic and LUT presets. I have some presets in AEFilters with higher gamma values

Thanks for the tip on LUTs SPQR. Yes I have previously noted some of them had this effect, but have never found one that's color neutral, they all seems to apply some kind of color filtering effects. Is there some way to generate my own LUT that will do nothing but shift the gamma down 0.2 or so and remain color neutral?

yeah, this should be that:
NeutralLUT32-0.2gamma.png

But you can make your own using GIMP (or any other image editor). Basically you can take a vam screenshot and apply any effects to it in the editor until you get the look you want. Then you take this image which is a neutral LUT (credits to MacGruber):
NeutralLUT32.png

And you apply the same effects to it too. Then, when you use this in vam, it should look similar to what it looked like in the edited screenshot.

View attachment 282242

But you can make your own using GIMP (or any other image editor). Basically you can take a vam screenshot and apply any effects to it in the editor until you get the look you want. Then you take this image which is a neutral LUT (credits to MacGruber):
View attachment 282243

And you apply the same effects to it too. Then, when you use this in vam, it should look similar to what it looked like in the edited screenshot.

Thanks a lot SP I'll try these out.

View attachment 282242

View attachment 282243

Hey SP I think this is gonna work, but my apologies for my confusing language. I'm actually needing it shifted in the other direction, this LUT makes my desktop mode even darker. MacGruber's color neutral LUT itself appears to be shifting the gamma darker, so using that as a reference, I'm thinking I probably need it shifted up maybe 0.3 - 0.4.

I looked into doing it myself in gimp, but having never used any Photoshop style program, it seems pretty complicated for a total novice having to load multiple layers, and install some G'mic plugin, then somehow convert a .cube file to this 2D LUT png VAM uses.

*Edit* It just occurred to me that you were telling me to edit Mac's neutral LUT, not make my own. I can handle that, thanks SP.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom