Ability to watch local video files (smoothly!) on a screen within VaM

Jiraiya

Reactions
There is a cinema scene. You can sit in the Cinema with your chosen model and watch.... A static picture or a jittery awful framerate web content.
The ability to play a local video file from your PC and map it onto screens inside VaM would allow televisions, PC monitors, Cinema screens, Phone screens, Tablets etc to all have usable content.

A simple way to play images from a given folder would be nice, too, and not too difficult to do as a image panel plugin. I know there once was a plugin to do different actions like this (maybe videos, too.), but that was too difficult for everyday use and therefore I even have forgotten the name. Maybe someone else still remember it.

By the way, there were some people who have managed to configurate the web player to show local stuff. Don't know how that works, cause I never needed it. Maybe that would be a point for your further recherches.
As you may know, the image panels can play animated GIF files. I once have used this for the purpose you have mentioned (cinema). For only having the decorative effct, you could generate a short GIF from a video clip.
A somewhat more static solution, you can create a simple Unity asset that plays one defined movie (baked in?) from your HDD. I once have used this for the cinema, because the GIF files had an awful resolution.

Interesting idea about the unity asset, but while you *can* do that I would like an easy way :)
A simple UI to select a local video file that then plays smoothly with audio is what I want.
Completely insane idea, have it support generic windows video input devices. You could connect it to webcams and video capture devices.
This would allow you to (with a webcam) monitor your local environment like a security camera so see whats going on around you in the real world. It would also allow you to capture your local TV signal and watch in game :)
I know these are not really core features for VaM, but I think it would really add to immersion and realism in scenes.

If you use the DreamHomeWebTV asset (included in VAM) you can play local video (and youtube videos too). You have to convert whatever video you are using to .webm format which is kind of annoying but after that it will work if you just put in the local address of the video. I use it for playing stuff in the background of scenes sometime.

If you use the DreamHomeWebTV asset (included in VAM) you can play local video (and youtube videos too). You have to convert whatever video you are using to .webm format which is kind of annoying but after that it will work if you just put in the local address of the video. I use it for playing stuff in the background of scenes sometime.
Oh! Nice, thanks. Is there a way to get sound with it?
Might look odd scaling that TV up to be cinema screen size :p

I will have a play, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom