3D Print VAM Models in High Quality

dontcare66

Reactions
Hey All,

I am a 3d printing enthusiast, but have never been great at modelling anything organic. However, using VAM I can make almost any version of a human I care to. That said, I know I can export the edited model as an obj at low poly resolution, then upscale with smoothing in something like blender, which I have done, but the export doesnt have hair, clothes etc.

I was thinking about using reality capture (a program you can feed a bunch of images of something 3d and it will reconstruct the high res mesh) - has anyone tried this?

If someone can validate the theory, I want to try to make a plugin. Essentially load the mode, pose, features you want, the plugin will render it at a high resolution (like supershot) and rotate around taking a number of frames the user can set as a variable (along with angles variables and what not). Once done you would have a sufficiently large dataset to import into Reality Capture and turn into an HD mesh. The benefits over standard OBJ export are:
- Higher quality (Extremely high quality is possible with enough resolution and frames)
- Inclusion of hair and clothes
- Malleable enough to take advantage of your PCs processing (more frames = more data = higher quality - the sky is the limit)
- Can include other objects model is interacting with (holding items, sitting on items etc)

So, my 2 questions:
- Has anyone done this or something similar? Did it work? Additional considerations I should make?
- If I pursue this, is anyone interested in a plugin? Is anyone interested in getting access to the OBJs/STLs that I make?

Thanks in advance

My native language is not English, so I may have a misunderstanding. If you just want a 3D file with hair, clothing, and character models for 3D printing, or you can try using Daz Studio, which can export any hair, clothing, or even scene to 3D modeling software

My native language is not English, so I may have a misunderstanding. If you just want a 3D file with hair, clothing, and character models for 3D printing, or you can try using Daz Studio, which can export any hair, clothing, or even scene to 3D modeling software
You understood correctly. I have tried Daz, and even though I could spend more time to learn it - I actually like the modifiers and models in VAM more. I also have a bunch created already that I can very simply pose and modify. Just missing the best way to get them back out of VAM as an STL, OBJ, or 3MF

You understood correctly. I have tried Daz, and even though I could spend more time to learn it - I actually like the modifiers and models in VAM more. I also have a bunch created already that I can very simply pose and modify. Just missing the best way to get them back out of VAM as an STL, OBJ, or 3MF
You're right. I've tried spending a lot of time exporting characters, Daz's hair, and clothing from Vam to Blender, but when I posed, I realized that even if the Daz importer comes with IK and morph to correct joint parts, it's not as convenient and fast as in Vam. But I know that the plugin Video Renderer for 3D VR in the hub works very much like VR cameras in reality, and perhaps you will be there soon

Back
Top Bottom