12700H v 12900HK best for VAM?

Gazdude72

Reactions
Looking at changing laptops and wondered if I would even notice any difference between the 12700H and the 12900HK, specifically for VAM using a Quest2 for VR, everything else being the same, 3080ti, 32gb 4800 ddr5 etc.
The price difference is £300 but not a major issue.
I've read through the benchmark thread but can't find a solid answer, anyone got an opinion? Waste of money? Better safe than sorry?
I'll be upgrading from a 10750H and RTX2060, so obviously a big jump, as the Quest2 struggles a bit at the moment and it all about FPS, lol.

Thanks for reading!

The difference actually depends on your laptop cooling performance and ambient temp. In general if the laptop you are getting hitting thermal limit all the time, both are pretty much the same. If you can cool the laptop good enough, there could be up to 10% different (most of time you will not notice)

Best case screnario 10% increase (based on userbiasmark), but otherwise unnoticeable.
At the end of the day it's still laptop (as mentioned by Ascaoko).

If you wanna "higher tier" with same core count and only 100/300MHz increase, by all means go for it.
Assuming everything else is the same? IMO waste of money, same reason why 1x700k is usually recommended over 1x900k for desktops.

Overclocking my 12700K to 5.2GHz allcore (from 4.8GHz stock) gave me an increasement of around 30% in a heavily CPU bottlenecked scene (from around 23fps to around 30fps).
That is a boost of 30% fps with only under 10% of CPU clock boost.
So, in a CPU bottlenecked scene, VaM is taking advantage of every step up. Just sayin'.

The problem with VaM in general is: we don't have like THE benchmark, cause scenes are totally different. From my observation, interacting with one female, I'm in a GPU bottleneck the whole time. I'll stop here. It's too complex with all these physics.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom