Fixed (1.20.0.4) Very hard to do selections in dropdown lists with many items in VR

MiniMax

Reactions
Hi Meshed,
I'm using VaM mostly in VR and have a really hard time to select an item in drop down lists with very much items (like the Receiver list in my screenshot) via the VR controller pointer with the scroll bars. The lists just scroll to fast by even small scroll bar movements.
In other lists you have a blank area that allows a 1:1 and ballistic scroll option, but not in dropdown lists. Could this mechanism also be introduced to dropdown lists?

Or as an alternative, would it be possible to allow the Oculus Touch/Valve Index controller joysticks to scroll through the lists while pointing on it, in a similar fashion that is used in Oculus or Steam VR Home, scroll slow with less and fast with higher joystick up/down deflection?

Since VaM was built for VR, the UI should be fully operable in VR, which it is with the exception of these lists.

Long Dropdown List.jpg

Last edited:
Just saw this Trello entry for V1.20:

New filterable popups for long lists to prevent performance issues and to make finding the item much easier. For desktop, filter can be typed in, and up/down arrows can be used to navigate the filtered list, while return key selects the item.

Is this also usable in VR to solve above issue?

Meshed has answered to this on Trello and the popup list filter should also be usable in VR.

Unfortunatelly the drop-down list in above screenshot from the wind plugin does not show the filter option in V1.20. Must all the plugins be updated to get the filter in their dropdown fields?

Plugins have to be updated to use the new popups. It is not automatic because there are cases for not using the filtered popups (like popups that only need a smaller number of choices).

Could you give a short explanation what exactly to replace with what? I think I have to update some plugins myself with the filtered popups.

You can actually see an example of it being used in Custom/Scripts/MeshedVR/FloatParamRandomizer.cs which has been updated with those.

Code:
UIDynamicPopup dp = CreateFilterablePopup(atomJSON);

I updated the wind plugin to make use of the filterable popup for the atom and receiver list. Much better in VR now!

WindControl.jpg

Attachments

• WindControl.zip
    1.9 KB · Views: 0
Back
Top Bottom