WIP: Timeline-compatible IK Inheritance

GossamerVR

Featured Contributor
Reactions
Hello friends

TLDR: if this works, you'll be able to use a slider to control how much the limbs inherit from the body when moving, even if already animated.

Naturally I have a lot to work on already with the existing plugins and their juicy plans. But as you may or may not know the main reason I'm creating them in the first place is because I need them to exist in order to create the quality scenes I'd like to make.

I like the control of hand-animation, so I spend a lot of time doing that, for movement, for walking, for dancing, and so another thing I need is to be able to create hand-animated walk and dance cycles and natural gestures without the awkward task of dealing with hands that are stuck firmly in space while the rest of the body moves, or that completely ignore the rest of the body due to inverse kinematics overriding the forward kinematics.

And so I've begun an experimental but theoretically simple plugin in which any one or more of the hands, feet, elbows, or knees can inherit the movement of the chest, even if already animated in timeline. The inheritance will be variable, so you may choose for it to only have a small amount of influence, and can itself be animated in timeline to give smooth transitions from influenced to explicit positioning. Now, it's not really IK inheritance as it's just the nodes having offsets added, but it works sort of similarly.

If it works as well as it seems like it might, then once it's ready I'll release it publicly, as usual.
Ciao!

Back
Top Bottom