Plugins Voice Commander

AlienAxeMan

Reactions
Website
www.patreon.com
Patreon
AlienAxeMan
AlienAxeMan submitted a new resource:

Voice Commander - Add Voice Command (Speech Recognition) to Any Scene Just by Loading This Plugin

Do you often find yourself in scenes filled with buttons, and you wish you could just use your voice to control everything?

Well, now you can!

Voice Commander is a plugin that inspects a scene for all buttons, adding their text as keywords into a speech recognition system, then invokes their action(s) when you say their keywords. The scene doesn't need to be made with this in mind; it just needs to use buttons with text that you can reasonably say. All you have to do is add the plugin...

Read more about this resource...

I've never tried using speech recognition before. This looks interesting. If I'm using a quest 2 can I have the headset pick up the voice commands or does it have to be through the PC?

AlienAxeMan updated Voice Commander with a new update entry:

Added External Trigger Exposure, Periodic Refresh Options, and a New Demo Scene

• Upon request I added a manual refresh triggering option: "Refresh Keywords Now"
  • I added a periodic refresh option, so you can have it refresh keywords every few seconds. Note that for a short time after it refreshes, it can't recognize input, and if it refreshes while you're speaking it won't recognize that. So, it's best to either use a longer refresh rate to minimize that (hence the limited range on the rate), or rely on the manual triggering and refreshing after each spoken...

Read the rest of this update entry...

I've never tried using speech recognition before. This looks interesting. If I'm using a quest 2 can I have the headset pick up the voice commands or does it have to be through the PC?
I wish I could be more helpful, but I have no experience with the Quest 2. I use an HTC Vive Pro 2, and I can use its onboard microphone for this, so I think you should be in luck with similarly using your Quest 2's headset.

When creating and testing things on my PC, I temporarily plug in a webcam and use its microphone. The important aspect is that your system default microphone is set to the one you want to work in VAM, as that's how the speech recognition system within Unity is wired up.

Wow, very well done, thank you!
Too bad it does not recognize the trigger buttons added via Hazmhox VamStory(Actions), because thats the lazy way I am setting up button triggers when I need some nowadays.
I dunno if there's a way to add this?

Wow, very well done, thank you!
Too bad it does not recognize the trigger buttons added via Hazmhox VamStory(Actions), because thats the lazy way I am setting up button triggers when I need some nowadays.
I dunno if there's a way to add this?
I've never tried VamStory, but I'll investigate that to see if I can figure out a way to hook it up.

Edit: I've done a quick investigation, and due to the complexity of those "buttons" it may take some doing to add support to Voice Commander for those. They're not really buttons in the traditional sense, but rather a plugin that has a lot of features, one of which can optionally be a button (in the plugin UI only) with action(s), which may then be actived by another type of "button" object (visible in the viewport). I'll spend some time later looking into it further, but so far it's looking like a big time sink to get that working.

Last edited:
Haven't had chance to try the plugin yet, but how does it work when buttons are just numbers? I'm thinking for use with ssx4 scenes with 100 different poses using number buttons. For example if a button is just "10" do you say "ten" or "one zero"? Thanks

Haven't had chance to try the plugin yet, but how does it work when buttons are just numbers? I'm thinking for use with ssx4 scenes with 100 different poses using number buttons. For example if a button is just "10" do you say "ten" or "one zero"? Thanks

I've tried it with buttons that contian buttons like "Set 1", "Set 1" etc. and it works great.

It seems to handle a variety of approaches fairly well. For example, with the text "115", it's recognizing me saying any of the following: "One One Five", "One Fifteen", "One Hundred and Fifteen". It's not infallible, and if you have similar numbers it may get more confused, but in general, it seems you can just read off the number as you might do for any normal verbalization of a number.

AlienAxeMan updated Voice Commander with a new update entry:

Optimized keyword refreshing

I optimized the keyword refreshing, primarily so as to avoid rebuilding and restarting the keyword recognizer when no changes to the keywords are detected. This means you may now typically enable the periodic refresh and use a faster rate, which is now much less likely to cause missed recognition due to it rebuilding/restarting while you were speaking.

Read the rest of this update entry...

Maybe add a toggle to disable automatic refresh, once a scene is completed for example. And a button to manual kick off refresh? Love the plugin! It stops working after a bit, i think the refresh is breaking it on my side. Just a thought.

Maybe add a toggle to disable automatic refresh, once a scene is completed for example. And a button to manual kick off refresh? Love the plugin! It stops working after a bit, i think the refresh is breaking it on my side. Just a thought.

There is an option to disable the automatic refresh, inside the plugin's UI panel, labeled "Refresh Keywords Periodically". There is also a button there to kick off a manual refresh, and it's even exposed as an action you can trigger from other locations, such as logic bricks. You can also speak the permanent/internal keyword of "Refresh Keywords" to trigger a refresh at any time. There is also already a separate hook that refreshes the keywords after each scene is loaded, which happens regardless of whether periodic refresh is enabled.

I haven't been able to reproduce any instances where it stops working after a bit. If you can provide any more details on that, I'd be happy to investigate and try to address that. For example, it would help a lot if you could provide an example of a scene where you've noticed that happening, an estimate of how long it took to stop working, etc.

Hi. How does it work? Just insert the plugin into the plugin scene and shout the text indicated on the button? No reaction.

Back
Top Bottom