Visuals bugging out when character is very close to head

dudemancan

Reactions
Sorry if this is a noob question or if I'm explaining poorly, but in VR mode, sometimes in a scene when the model comes very close to my characters head and thus takes up my view, the performance gets awful. It's not just a drop in frame rate though, it creates this weird visual distortion that I'm not even sure how to explain.

Roughly speaking, FPS will vary based on how much is changing on what you can see. If you're very close, a lot has to be updated compared to if you were far from the action.
As for the visual distortion, no idea what you're seeing, so...

the distortion i think might be the oculus async spacewarp. it's a performance thing to help get better framerate when you're dropping frames. if you're dropping lots of them artefacts start happening
asw-1-2.jpg

are you using any plugins or it happens in the default scene also?

I just came here to describe what I was seeing. I never really stopped to pay attention but decided to really focus on it and I think that is exactly what it is. Basically, the edges on anything that is moving will look all wobbly exactly like that picture is showing.

I haven't checked with default scenes. It just stuff I've downloaded but there are plugins already in the scenes obviously.

Is there a way to turn that feature off?

allegedly ctrl+numpad1 or by using the oculus debug tool, idk if that's still a thing though

but I don't think you want it off, you'll still have big performance issues. you should instead try to improve the performance:
- use the givemeFPS plugin
- use 2 or 1 lights in settings instead of 3, shader maybe to normal instead of high
- my spqrperformance plugin might help too
- use the performance monitor to check FPS and what is effecting it the most as you turn things on/off

Back
Top Bottom