Virtual Desktop still running SteamVR

Johninvr

Reactions
I bought Virtual Desktop (VD) in hopes of using the hand tracking feature in VAM. When I run VD it does work, however I get massive stuttering when loading objects and using the hand tracking feature.

I was instructed to create a .bat file to bypass SteamVR, as SteamVR is what is causing this stuttering affect. (I can confirm, when I run VAM off of Air Link it successfully bypasses SteamVR and there is no stutter, just no hand tracking either.)

My issue is even with a successful .bat file created and used, as soon as I click on it in VD it STILL activates SteamVR for some reason and if I manually click to shut down SteamVR the system also shuts down VAM.

My .bat file is as follows:

"C:\Program Files\Virtual Desktop Streamer\VirtualDesktop.Streamer.exe"
"D:\Fallout_VR\VAM\VaM.exe"

I would just delete SteamVR altogether, however I use it for normal PCVR gaming when not in VAM.

Any suggestions? Thanks VAM FAM!

My .bat file is as follows:

"C:\Program Files\Virtual Desktop Streamer\VirtualDesktop.Streamer.exe" "D:\Fallout_VR\VAM\VaM.exe"

Looks good, but double check it. You do have the whole command in one line, right? Like you can see in my quote? So:

The right one (all in one line):
"C:\Program Files\Virtual Desktop Streamer\VirtualDesktop.Streamer.exe" "D:\Fallout_VR\VAM\VaM.exe"

The wrong one (separated to two lines):

The second one will not work.

I assume you first put on your headset and launch VD app inside it, connect to your PC and then, using your headset, launching this shortcut?

Try this while you have your headset on - after connecting to your PC, you see your desktop in your headset. On the right bottom corner you should have Virtual Desktop Streamer running in your system tray. Long press this icon, a menu should appear.

V3iCzAa.png

Click "Launch Game..." (it will be active as long as you are connected with your headset), go to your VAM folder and select VAM.exe. It should launch without SteamVR.

KG

Thanks KajaGoo!!!! You found the problem; I had the .bat file separated by two lines. I put them both on the same line with a space between and it ran for the first time without SteamVR, no more stutter and even better the hand tracking appears to have smoothed out significantly as well!

Previously when SteamVR was running it would make the VR hands stutter, similar to a loading screen.

The VAM FAM comes through, thanks again KajaGoo!

Hey there, I was trying to solve this also but I don't have the VirtualDesktop.Streamer.exe file, I have VirtualDesktop.Server.exe. Should that make any difference?

Hey there, I was trying to solve this also but I don't have the VirtualDesktop.Streamer.exe file, I have VirtualDesktop.Server.exe. Should that make any difference?

no idea unfortunately. I got it to work as described above with the Oculus Air Link as well, VAM works SO MUCH BETTER without steam!

Yeah, I just ended up deleting Steam off my desktop PC. I never really played Steam games on that PC anyhow. I still have it on a laptop if I ever need to play my Steam games. However I can't say I'm seeing a huge performance jump with VaM, although it does appear I can load more scenes without it crashing on me.

Yeah, I just ended up deleting Steam off my desktop PC. I never really played Steam games on that PC anyhow. I still have it on a laptop if I ever need to play my Steam games. However I can't say I'm seeing a huge performance jump with VaM, although it does appear I can load more scenes without it crashing on me.

it’s weird how each machine runs VAM differently for people. I know lots of people hate Occulus airlink but for me I actually prefer it to desktopVR now; the colors seem to be more vivid and possibly a little faster

I couldn't get Virtual Desktop to run VaM once I deleted Steam. They must have been connected somehow. I'm just using Occulus Link now and it works fine.

Looks good, but double check it. You do have the whole command in one line, right? Like you can see in my quote? So:

The right one (all in one line):

The wrong one (separated to two lines):

The second one will not work.

I assume you first put on your headset and launch VD app inside it, connect to your PC and then, using your headset, launching this shortcut?

Try this while you have your headset on - after connecting to your PC, you see your desktop in your headset. On the right bottom corner you should have Virtual Desktop Streamer running in your system tray. Long press this icon, a menu should appear.

V3iCzAa.png

Click "Launch Game..." (it will be active as long as you are connected with your headset), go to your VAM folder and select VAM.exe. It should launch without SteamVR.

KG
This simple tip has really removed the most frustrating thing about VAM. I do notice when I'm in the menus they get sort of grainy and distorted, but when inside scenes, everything is okay. It's incredible how this simple alternative method of launching the app improves the speed of moving things so so much. This post should be stickied somewhere if it isn't already. Thanks for posting way back when!

This post should be stickied somewhere if it isn't already.

Hold on, not so fast. I followed those exact instructions and it didn't work for me so as I said I just deleted Steam.

Back
Top Bottom