Question Variable Trigger example? How to use?

3rdStoryline

Reactions
Hello,

I've been using VaM for a year or two now, and I've gotten fairly versed in it.

However, one thing I haven't quite figured out yet, is how to use variable triggers, and what exactly they are used for. There have been a few times where I could have used a "If this, then That" controller, and thought maybe variable triggers were for that use, but then I'd add one to the scene, and have no idea what to do with it. So I'd just find a work around.

I would absolutely appreciate an example of how to use, and what a variable trigger would be used for!

(PS: Just looking for a written example.)

One of those old tech, that nobody is rly using anymore...

Short answer ...It's basically UISlider without UI. :ROFLMAO:
UISlider is type of variable trigger, but "manual" and... plugins like LogicBrick do exist... 🤷‍♂️

Instead of simple on/off trigger (example:UIToggle) or one sided trigger (example:UIButton).
You can use variableTrigger to set value from 0.000-1.000 for all variable actions inside that trigger (atom)

Say for example you wanna trigger 'open mouth' morph (not the best example but whatever)
-with UIbutton you can only set one value (set at 1.000 full open, or 0.000 closed, or whatever 0.420)
-with variable you can trigger exact value (or control it by other "stuff"...same way you can trigger UISlider 'value' 🤷‍♂️)

Simply add new variable action, set start to 0, end to 1, (of whatever you need for, morph value, light intensity, animation time, idk...)
and than trigger 'variableTrigger>trigger>value' from 0.000-1.000
or 'UISlider>trigger>value'...again manual example is UISlider, in that case you don't rly need variableTrigger. :unsure:

Upvote 0
Variable trigger atoms have a range attached to them (Trigger Value from 0 to 1). When that range changes, It will change for all the triggers inside the variable trigger. It's sort of like a group change, you change the range to a specific value on multiple stuff at once.

Example:

If you have 3 lights in the scene and want to do 10 buttons for their intensity for some reason, you might do it like this without variable triggers:
- UIButtonIntensity1: [Light1 = intensity:0.1], [Light2 = intensity:0.1], [Light3 = intensity:0.1]
- UIButtonIntensity2: [Light1 = intensity:0.2], [Light2 = intensity:0.2], [Light3 = intensity:0.2]
etc.
You'd have to add 3*10=30 total triggers

With variable triggers you could do it like this
- VariableTrigger: [Light1 = intensity], [Light2 = intensity], [Light3 = intensity]
- UIButtonIntensity1: [VariableTrigger = value: 0.1]
- UIButtonIntensity2: [VariableTrigger = value: 0.2]
etc.
You'd have to add 3+10=13 total triggers

at least that's my understanding, never really used them

Upvote 0
One of those old tech, that nobody is rly using anymore...

Short answer ...It's basically UISlider without UI. :ROFLMAO:
UISlider is type of variable trigger, but "manual" and... plugins like LogicBrick do exist... 🤷‍♂️

Instead of simple on/off trigger (example:UIToggle) or one sided trigger (example:UIButton).
You can use variableTrigger to set value from 0.000-1.000 for all variable actions inside that trigger (atom)

Say for example you wanna trigger 'open mouth' morph (not the best example but whatever)
-with UIbutton you can only set one value (set at 1.000 full open, or 0.000 closed, or whatever 0.420)
-with variable you can trigger exact value (or control it by other "stuff"...same way you can trigger UISlider 'value' 🤷‍♂️)

Simply add new variable action, set start to 0, end to 1, (of whatever you need for, morph value, light intensity, animation time, idk...)
and than trigger 'variableTrigger>trigger>value' from 0.000-1.000
or 'UISlider>trigger>value'...again manual example is UISlider, in that case you don't rly need variableTrigger. :unsure:
Variable trigger atoms have a range attached to them (Trigger Value from 0 to 1). When that range changes, It will change for all the triggers inside the variable trigger. It's sort of like a group change, you change the range to a specific value on multiple stuff at once.

Example:

If you have 3 lights in the scene and want to do 10 buttons for their intensity for some reason, you might do it like this without variable triggers:
- UIButtonIntensity1: [Light1 = intensity:0.1], [Light2 = intensity:0.1], [Light3 = intensity:0.1]
- UIButtonIntensity2: [Light1 = intensity:0.2], [Light2 = intensity:0.2], [Light3 = intensity:0.2]
etc.
You'd have to add 3*10=30 total triggers

With variable triggers you could do it like this
- VariableTrigger: [Light1 = intensity], [Light2 = intensity], [Light3 = intensity]
- UIButtonIntensity1: [VariableTrigger = value: 0.1]
- UIButtonIntensity2: [VariableTrigger = value: 0.2]
etc.
You'd have to add 3+10=13 total triggers

at least that's my understanding, never really used them
Thank you! Both of your answers helped to better understand this! Yea, its definitely something used for niche situations at this point.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom