VAR downloads from Patreon auto-renamed to ZIP?!

I can't recall but it was from patreon. So it makes sense that this problem has popped again

I can't recall but it was from patreon. So it makes sense that this problem has popped again
The problem is with the Patreon website and your Browser.....nothing anybody here can do about it.
That's why we have the guide:

Firefox fix should work on most firefox-based browsers, more specifically on newer gecko engine that uses handlers.json (WaterFox, LibreWolf,...).
As for older or forked engines like goanna, those use old mimeTypes.rdf (Pale Moon, K-Meleon,...).

Sadly on chrome and chromium-based browsers there is no file to edit, AFAIK most of file type info is read from OS file type settings.

For anyone having issues (on windows)...
Goto: Settings (Windows + I) > Apps > DefaultApps > Choose default apps by file type > check default app for .var type
defaultapps.jpg

Make sure your default apps are set to open .var inside your archiver (instead of not specified: "Choose a default").

or alternative:
1) right click .var package > Properties
2) check "Opens with", if there is no default app or incorrect click "Change..."
3) if your app is not listed, click More apps and scroll down Look for another app on this PC
4) navigate to your app.exe (not shortcut), to add it/set it as default
openswith.jpg

If this is not the case, blame it on patreon or stop using chromium based browser. :p

As last resort you could try reseting all file types inside registry, but that is gonna messup ALL file types (on next restart). Not recommended.
I also doubt reseting browser or removing browser profiles would help, but worth a shot (if using less important browser). 🤷‍♂️

I did just as Linck did and the file still doesn't show up in VAM
i think i got it to work. i download some clothing and it did not work but then rename it 100% what its name is meant to be and it work. but then remove 1 latter and it did not work again. going to try with plugins i bin trying to get to work

Here's something to look out for: Var files must be in the format of creator name, package name and version number separated by periods. Like "creator.package.1.var".

Any other format will not be accepted by Vam, and wont show up. Sometimes people download the file twice, so windows appends "(1)" to the end of the file name.

This means you end up with a file like creator.package.1(1).var, which Vam will not recognize as a valid package. Edit out the (#) to fix it.

Back
Top Bottom