[Updated] VAM / screen freeze and become unresponsive every time Heap Size 'resets'

BStarG2

Reactions
EDITED
Found the 'problem'.

I had been using HuntingSuccubus' Automatic Body Smoother plugin for a long time, it apparently has the Memory Leak issue that was fixed in the Subsurface Scattering plugin. So I got the latest version of the Subsurface Scattering Plugin (Person Atom version) and disabled the Automatic Body Smoother (which was a Session plugin) and now the Heap Size is much more stabilized. It still goes up (even without the plugins, or ANY activated plugin for that matter) but at a much slower rate.

The Session version of his latest Subsurface Scattering does currently still need to be updated though, but it will, according to the fix logs (and I quote):

"Plugin had major Memory Leak, was increasing Heap Size very quickly."

However, with this said, it still doesn't change the fact that whenever the Heap Size does reach around 8.5 GB or so in size, it 'dumps' back to a lower amount and still creates a 'global VAM' freeze. This wouldn't be much of a problem if the Heap Size "cleaning" process didn't create this freezing effect.

Oh well.

At least now the problem is gone (relatively speaking).
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys so I'm trying to figure out how to stop this problem...

In pretty much any Scene, as simple or complex they may be; with or without animations going on, this happens:

1) Everything goes well, smooth enough, and no interruptions or screen freezes.

2) Eventually, after maybe 2 minutes, (every 2 minutes, or maybe 3 mins max) VAM becomes unresponsive (nothing works) and the screen / UI 'freeze' up for about 1 or 2 seconds.

I pretty much assumed right away that it was related to Memory and/or Heap Size management, since I recalled having read about that a few months ago here on the forums (can't find that post again but I think it was discussed as being part of the reason why VAM would have this 'behavior', and we're not talking about crashes here, just plain program becoming unresponsive while the screen freezes).

So I checked, and this is what I noticed:

When I start up a Scene, the Performance 2 Tab reports that (usually) my Physical Memory usage sits at around 9.5 GB and sometimes is around 10'ish, haven't seen it go higher (maybe it does but during my tests for this subject I haven't seen it going higher than maybe 10.4 or 10.5 GB).

However... I also noticed that the Heap Size is continuously going up, non-stop; there's no stop to it. So, this is what I noticed about the Heap Size as well:

1) Every time it 'dumps' itself (or "resets" itself back), it's going 'back to' be a fixed size for some reason, it goes back to about 6.5 GB.
2) Then, from that size, it continuously goes up again.
3) When it goes up, it will reach about the same size as my Physical Memory usage (maybe it's a coincidence, but it does NOT exceed it, it only goes about as close), and THEN it "dumps" and resets back - again - to about 6.5 GB in size.

So basically the Heap Size is doing this constant cycle of 'starting' at maybe 6.5 GB (estimation here), going up to maybe 10 GB max (doesn't take much time to get there, maybe 2 minutes) and then "resets" / dumps (or whatever the term is) about 4 GB'ish worth of Heap Size.

Now here's the thing...

I don't have anything "against" the actual function of the Heap Size 'dumping' whatever. The problem is that every time it's doing it, it completely freezes my VAM, I can't do anything for about 2 seconds sometimes. But the problem is especially noticeable - you'd imagine - during animations. I don't mind much when it happens while I just set up a Scene with fixed objects, it's manageable (annoying still... but not the end of the world). But when I'm watching a nice lewd Scene action going the characters freeze up, everything freezes. The only thing that keeps going are the Sounds of a Scene... but even then, the Sounds usually try to then "re-sync" and suffer a soft-reset, it's terrible with complex Scenes with lots of motion and sounds or music going.

SO...

What I'm asking here is if there's ANY known method to alleviate this issue?

1) Any Plugin or Script I can use to INCREASE the time OR the AMOUNT (in GB) it takes for the Heap Size to reset / dump?

Let's say, any way to set it to that the Heap Size CAN reach something like say... 25 GB instead before it dumps? It would give me extra time without interruption to work on my stuff.

Or instead of the amount itself, maybe the time? Can we force the Heap Size to dump every 5 minutes instead of 1 or 2?

I'm just desperate now in trying to find a solution to this. I've been tolerating this for months without ever speaking about it but really, it's extremely irritating.

Side notes, system specs just in case:

AMD 7900X3D (not OCed, just all factory stuff, running on essentially the best air-cooler on the market)
32GB 6000Mhz Memory (only running on factory defaults XMP profile and that's it, nothing 'extra' going there)
RTX 3080 12GB (factory clocks, I never OC my GPUs, ever)

Finally, I'm using Caching (folder location is the same as VAM's, which itself is installed on an M.2 drive), if it matters to mention (if using Caching is part of this problem please do let me know, because I wouldn't be aware)

Any tips or advice about this? Thanks.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom