Question Unwanted Transparency in dark areas

Terrachild

Reactions
I've recently downloaded VaM and I'm having a problem with the graphics. Sometimes I open a scene and everything renders correctly: if there is a black background and a single model everything looks great; if there is a model in a room, both the model and the room objects render correctly. However, sometimes in both of the previous examples there is transparency everywhere with the dark areas creating a passthrough effect in the scene. I'm using a Quest 3 with Virtual Desktop and a PC. I've tried launching with a .bat file so only VaM and Virtual Desktop are running, and I've also tried launching with the VaM.exe which launches Steam VR also. The problem is the same. Only this time both VaM and the Steam VR graphics have transparency sometimes, but not always. What is causing this?

Transparency as passthrough that you can see your room surroundings or you're talking about transparency within the environment in VaM?
A example screenshot would help.

Upvote 0
I've recently downloaded VaM and I'm having a problem with the graphics. Sometimes I open a scene and everything renders correctly: if there is a black background and a single model everything looks great; if there is a model in a room, both the model and the room objects render correctly. However, sometimes in both of the previous examples there is transparency everywhere with the dark areas creating a passthrough effect in the scene. I'm using a Quest 3 with Virtual Desktop and a PC. I've tried launching with a .bat file so only VaM and Virtual Desktop are running, and I've also tried launching with the VaM.exe which launches Steam VR also. The problem is the same. Only this time both VaM and the Steam VR graphics have transparency sometimes, but not always. What is causing this?
Do you have the passthrough option enabled in Virtual Desktops Streaming settings? Disable it if you dont wanna use it

Upvote 0
Do you have the passthrough option enabled in Virtual Desktops Streaming settings? Disable it if you dont wanna use it
I looked for that setting before I posted, but it wasn't on my PC Virtual Desktop window. I did find the passthrough option inside the headset on the Virtual Desktop pop-up window that activates when you press the controller menu button, the one with the three lines on the Quest handheld controller. That solved the problem. The confusing part, for anyone else having this problem, is that passthrough would turn on and off at different times if you walked outside the boundary and back in, or if you put the headset down and then put it back on. I see how to fix that now inside the headset by unchecking and rechecking that passthrough box if it happens. Problem solved. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Could be a few things like NVIDIA filters, or you could go in to the material adjustment and change the alpha
What graphics card are you running? Could be a driver or hardware issue. And you are running virtual desktop, and not just oculus link with vam?

Upvote 0
Could be a few things like NVIDIA filters, or you could go in to the material adjustment and change the alpha

What graphics card are you running? Could be a driver or hardware issue. And you are running virtual desktop, and not just oculus link with vam?
I'm running virtual desktop. The change occurs with both a 2070 and a 4070 card so it is probably a software issue. If I walk outside my Quest 3 boundary and then back in, passthrough can shut off in the headset even though the checkbox stays checked in Virtual Desktop; thus, the need to toggle "Passthrough" off and back on to activate it again.

Upvote 0
Hi, I have same issue on my Virtual Desktop and Quest 3 maybe.
Scene list is broke, and 3D models are bit of transparency.

So, I usually use Airlink(Quest Link) for VaM.

Upvote 0
I'm running virtual desktop. The change occurs with both a 2070 and a 4070 card so it is probably a software issue. If I walk outside my Quest 3 boundary and then back in, passthrough can shut off in the headset even though the checkbox stays checked in Virtual Desktop; thus, the need to toggle "Passthrough" off and back on to activate it again.
Yeah, i am finding i have to toggle the passthru every so often too when i switch between desktop apps and vam in Virtual Desktop. Bit of nuance, not sure if you can pin apps in VD like you could in USB Link mode

Upvote 0
Hi, I have same issue on my Virtual Desktop and Quest 3 maybe.
Scene list is broke, and 3D models are bit of transparency.

So, I usually use Airlink(Quest Link) for VaM.
look at the tutorial for the VD and passthru, you may need to adjust the similar and smoothing layers. I have no issues unless i move those around, and like it says, you'll need to find your happy medium. Personally, i go with more of a green tone instead of the blue suggested in the tutorial. I still get some edges on the hairs that glow with the back ground, but that can go away when you play with the sliders, and then i get to where you are, transparent person atoms. This wasn't designed to support vam, true support would be to have a real transparency in vam if someone knew how to code a background like that for vam in a cua or something... food for thought.

Upvote 0
look at the tutorial for the VD and passthru, you may need to adjust the similar and smoothing layers. I have no issues unless i move those around, and like it says, you'll need to find your happy medium. Personally, i go with more of a green tone instead of the blue suggested in the tutorial. I still get some edges on the hairs that glow with the back ground, but that can go away when you play with the sliders, and then i get to where you are, transparent person atoms. This wasn't designed to support vam, true support would be to have a real transparency in vam if someone knew how to code a background like that for vam in a cua or something... food for thought.
Thanks for your reply.
I rechecked settings of VD. It has "VR Passthrough" option and "Enabled" check box in streaming tab.
I don't want passthrough function, so I always disable it.

I'm not very good at English, so I'll share the problem with an image.
As shown in the image below, there is a problem where all objects are transparent regardless of the surrounding color.
Of course, there is nothing wrong with Steam VR rooms on VD.
It's strange, but I think it's a compatibility issue between VaM and VD.

606225119745c745782dbddb81339dce.jpg

Upvote 0
oh, so you're not seeing your room, your seeing the background in the scene. Do you have the 3rd party app running for your video card? If so, Try disabling that compeltely, // services and in startup items, turn off any overlays in nVidia, microsft game barf... etc... i know a copul eo fscnees that have done this, and it's annoying. Also, try dropping your quality in VAM to the lowest settings, and if it goes a way, bring the the settings up slowly to see if it reproduces, that may identify what setting triggers it and help identify the cause.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom