• Hi Guest!

We have recently added a new Support Tickets feature to the Hub!
    You can check out the details in our official announcement!

Question Strange, nonsensical movement controls

herpderp

Reactions
Moving in VR in Virtamate is like trying to control a drunk man who is also on LSD. Using a Quest 3, the joysticks move you around, but randomly do odd things which make no sense. Joystick forward might move you forward, or maybe up, or maybe forward and up, or maybe forward and down. Joystick left might have you strafe left, or maybe turn left, or maybe turn left and down, or maybe turn left and up. You can hold the joystick button in and then move the controller to move in most any direction, which is slow but does work. However, this won't let you turn. The only method to turn is to first move the joystick right or left on the left controller, and then move the joystick right or left on the right controller. The right controller controls turning, but only if you first move the joystick on the left controller right or left, because that makes sense.

Is there any solution to this clusterfuck?

Sounds like something weird is going on. I think the left stick should control X and Y (strafe forward, backward, left, and right) while the right stick should do Z and yaw (up, down, turn). Sometimes they get reversed, I think depending on if one of the controllers connects faster, not sure. That's how mine work either through Quest Link, Steam Link, or Virtual Desktop. How to troubleshoot it, I'm not sure. Are you using Steam Link and have a controller profile enabled? Can you test the different link apps? Try asking in the Discord if nobody has any better ideas here.

Upvote 0
So you can just use the turn function on your right controller without having to move the joystick on the left controller first?

My controls work in every program besides this one, so I doubt the issue is outside of virtamate.

Upvote 0
Yes, left and right on the right thumbstick turns left and right. This has been the behavior for me through all my installs and HMDs. Have you tried the different connection methods? Maybe also consider testing a fresh install of VAM to rule out any issues with the install or config files. I'm not sure if there is a keybindings config. PPL in Discord will probably know.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom