Question Scenes not loading

Spankimus

Reactions
I seem to have quite a list of folk that aren't able to open the scenes I submit to the hub. It appears to work for most people but for some it just hangs when it loads. It works fine for me (and I mean, like every single time, it never fails) and I've tried adjusting the various ways things are done (changing audio mechanism, reducing triggers, reloading characters and decals, complete reload of enviornment etc) but nothing I do seems to make any difference. There seems to be nothing in the log file relevant and no reason I can understand for why it happens to some users. One user suggested they removed addins (I don't even know what they mean by that honestly) and another said it worked on a clean install of VAM (Again I dunno how you even get one of those either, VAM installer works on an updater so unless we're talking a whole new copy of Windows I'm still at a loss!)

I wonder if anyone with a higher level of expertise and understanding of the software could shed some light on it?

Thanks

another said it worked on a clean install of VAM (Again I dunno how you even get one of those either, VAM installer works on an updater so unless we're talking a whole new copy of Windows I'm still at a loss!)
A "clean install of VaM" means you make a second VaM install on your machine. Just create a new folder somewhere, copy the VaM installer in and have it download VaM again. You will have to enter the VaM key again. Then copy your scene VAR over and install any known dependencies that may be needed. Nothing else. Preferably have VaM automatically install all the hub-hosted dependencies rather than copying them in manually.
It's generally good idea to test stuff in a clean VaM install before releasing, that makes sure all dependencies are properly declared/known.

I seem to have quite a list of folk that aren't able to open the scenes I submit to the hub.
Ask them which VaM version they use and which session plugins they have. Some session plugins might break stuff after all. Also ask whether they run in Desktop mode or in VR...and if VR whether it's Oculus or Steam. Once you find the common thing, it might point you to the issue.

It works fine for me (and I mean, like every single time, it never fails)
There is a meme for that, you know? :ROFLMAO:
full

Upvote 0
A "clean install of VaM" means you make a second VaM install on your machine. Just create a new folder somewhere, copy the VaM installer in and have it download VaM again. You will have to enter the VaM key again. Then copy your scene VAR over and install any known dependencies that may be needed. Nothing else. Preferably have VaM automatically install all the hub-hosted dependencies rather than copying them in manually.
It's generally good idea to test stuff in a clean VaM install before releasing, that makes sure all dependencies are properly declared/known.

Ask them which VaM version they use and which session plugins they have. Some session plugins might break stuff after all. Also ask whether they run in Desktop mode or in VR...and if VR whether it's Oculus or Steam. Once you find the common thing, it might point you to the issue.

There is a meme for that, you know? :ROFLMAO:
full

Thanks, that's good advice, I have tried to contact quite a lot of the users reporting issues but most only seem to want to complain rather than try to fix the issue! The vast majority don't even respond so I guess if it's working for most there is probably some other plugin that is conflicting with it. I've done more than enough on this idea now anyway and learned what I can from VaM I think on this kind of project so probably time to move on to trying something new anyway then see if that still has the issues and it's more info again each time I guess. Thanks very much for the detailed response, I appreciate it.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom