Scene building (Advice needed)

Yuchemey`

Reactions
I am new a level building.
I have a level of 30k + tri
wondering if i should triangulate and then decimate (using blender)
i want to reduce lag as much as i can and make it as huge/beautyful as i can.

is this too much?
beach loft.png
[/ISPOILER]

thank you for taking the time to reply.

Last edited:
30K vertices for static geometry isn't really much these days. Make sure your geometry is properly marked as static in UnityEditor before you export it and you should be good. Unity engine will automatically split or merge static meshes into more efficient meshes so it can render them in the most efficient way possible. Like not rendering the stuff behind you, because it was split of in a separate mesh and could be culled. Downside is that static geometry can not move. Like not move at all. This is especially important for larger parts of your geometry, like floor, walls, ceiling, etc. But mark as static as much as you can.

Still, if you like to optimize, make sure to remove any invisible faces. Like back sides of walls, etc.

What costs performance is usually memory accesses and surface covered on screen (amount of pixel shader executions). So a screen filling quad that uses some complex material with lot of textures can be lot more expensive than a small background object with lots of triangles.

Back
Top Bottom