Question Remote Desktop from inside VAM

epi.noah

Featured Contributor
Reactions
Hi.

Remote Desktop from inside VAM
What is the safest way of doing this?
I want to use my laptop remotely from my VAM running on my desktop.

1683144804.jpg

Like the screen on the left has Google, the one on the right has Bing. I want to have remote access to my laptop instead.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzDragonsLair02.jpg

That way, the laptop is all business, the desktop is continuing the same but in my dragon's lair.

zzDragonsLair.jpg

And I can take a step forward to have work out of my view for a break

zzzzz02.jpg

I'm guessing that this design would perfectly with VAM Launch. One girl is entertaining you by dancing and the other one has her head right where you want it.

zzzzzz01.jpg

I can use the embedded browser and try every alternative but I thought I'd just ask:

Should I use the browser in VAM and a browser compatible remote desktop software?
1. If yes, what's the best browser compatible software?
2. If no, what's the alternative solution?

I'm looking for stability and safety. Something I can use to access my work/business/money stuff.

Any idea from the pros?
@SPQR @MacGruber @Acid Bubbles @everlaster @hazmhox @ky1001 @Awas @meshedvr

Last edited:
Something I can use to access my work/business/money stuff.
I would seriously advise against doing anything like that from within VaM. The VaM browser might as well be a century old....you don't do "money stuff" with a browser that is even just hours out of date. And probably you shouldn't login into your company's network either.

Tagging people for no reason is not a good idea.

Upvote 0
That's why I'm trying to refrain from using that browser. But I have no idea what the alternative would be.

I'm just tagging a few people who would know the answer because they have the experience, to give them a poke. We're lifting VAM up together with free content and advice. I used stuff from those people in that scene, and like all my stuff that I shared for free, it might one day get released for free (with copyrights free replacements for videos etc ).

So any input would be appreciated.

Just want to replace the Google/Bing screens with remote desktop access to another computer

ScreenAddiction.jpg

(Yes, I do have a screen addiction.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It doesn’t even have to be full on Remote Desktop. It can simply be screen sharing. The keyboard I use can be connected to the laptop. I just need to bring its screen and sound to VR.

Upvote 0
If this isn't possible, I'm going have to find something like Shadow PC (but browser based) to have a Windows in VAM.
I can have all my stuff set up there, bringing it into a new scene or a new VAM install would be easy.
I can access that Shadow PC from my laptop too, which is how the work would be uninterrupted.

But I would just do the kind of work where safety is not a concern. Like design. And the serious stuff would need to be done on the laptop itself natively.

One way or another, I'm moving into VR. I'm not gonna make something so detailed and not stare at it all day

I stand on the edge of the guardian boundaries which brings in the room view overlaid on top of VAM in Virtual Desktop. Which brings those angels to my room in ghost mode. Literally they are walking around me, dancing, while real people are also in the room. But I cannot see the computer screen clearly. In an ideal world, the headset would overlay my view and the digital world perfectly, including compositing the screens around me to the VR sphere around my head. So that I have the Mixed Reality experience where I see my computer screens as clear as the headset resolution permits it. But that's not there. Meta and Apple are probably headed there soon.

As a PC guy, I'm trying to create my own solution. If there is no way of doing this safely with VAM, the "Shadow PC" alternative where I do only some of my work in that environment will have to do.

Upvote 0
I was trying to get a video capture window working. I got a basic webcam display in Unity but I can't get it functional in VaM. The reason, I have an HDMI capture card that appears as a webcam. If that worked in Vam you could just plug it into your laptop display output and see the screen in VaM without issue.
Sadly, such "advanced" plugins do not seem to work. I was pointed to some major hacks/injectors for VaM but it's way outside anything I am comfortable with and certainly nothing I could put on the hub so abandon it.
I think it's use that old internal browser or don't use VaM sadly.

Upvote 0
If you have oculus, the best way imo is to use the windows management system. You can hit the oculus menu, drag a desktop or a window, pin it, and return to vam. It's not just an overlay, atoms (or at least some of them) will render above it if they're closer to you, making it seamless. The limitation is that once you position the windows, you have to move in roomscale mode (move irl). If you move with the thumbsticks in vam, the windows will follow you around. It should work for steamvr too but I haven't tried the window management system from steamvr.

To have them more 'anchored' into vam, in web browser atoms, yeah you can use teamviewer/anydesk/chrome remote desktop but the performance will not be very good and you're sending your screen all over the internet to those companies and then you get it back from them in vam, it's not pretty.

Imo the first approach is much better and worth the trouble with movement

Upvote 0
I can't find ANY way to do what you suggest on my Quest 2. Neither Virtual Desktop or the Oculus Home menu have any option to pin stuff in such a way?

Upvote 0
I can't find ANY way to do what you suggest on my Quest 2. Neither Virtual Desktop or the Oculus Home menu have any option to pin stuff in such a way?

I'm not sure about Quest, possibly they removed it due to making it standalone.

For Rift S it's like this or this. It's a must-have for more chill static games like Elite Dangerous, pokerstars vr etc.

In vam it works great because it's rendered seamless somehow in the scene. You can have atoms in front of it, it's not just an overlay on top of the game

Upvote 0
aaaah, thats the Oculus Home app! I dont use that. I use Virtual Desktop.
I *tried* to use the Oculus home but physical Link via usb doesn't work because of shitty broken USB ports on the quest and Airlink doesn't work because of shitty broken software from Meta.
BTW, the bad USB port design is why so many have melted, it's a design flaw. I am surprised there hasn't been a class action suit against them yet for fires. It's not hard to physically clamp the USB socket instead of relying a poor surface mount pads to hold the thing against physical force from plugging and unplugging, there is no excuse. Shitty design fail.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom