Question about plugin/dependency updates.

Solid11

Reactions
So I'm trying to learn what I can about VaM and how it works. One thing that confuses me is plugin updates. So if a creator makes a scene for download and it list all the dependencies under it and they all say they are on the hub, but say one dependency is updated to a newer version. Will that scene know to use the newer version automatically when you download in the future? Do creator's content break after a while as dependencies update? Reason is I downloaded a scene that said a plugin was on the hub, (not a "not on hub" red button), but it's missing when loading a scene. The missing plugin has a newer version than what the scene was made with. Which is strange because the scene is a recent release. So when a creator uploads content, do the required dependencies upload with it if it's missing on the hub, or only checks if they are on hub? Thanks for any insight you all can give.

Last edited:
When making a VAR, dependencies can be set to be the latest or a specific version. By default when making a VAR, plugins are set to a specific version and others to the latest, but this can be changed by the creator.
If VaM doesn't find the version the VAR calls for, VaM will use the latest version it can find.

If the scene you mention has a dependency that is Hub-hosted but is missing in the scene, showing a error, then you need to download it, simple as that. The scene can be made with any version of a plugin, well, as long as that version exists of course.

What if the creator of the dependency only offered the latest version of a file, and not what was used to create the content? Would renaming the file, if it's a newer version, to stop the error popup? Thanks again for the info atani.

If the only issue you have is to remove the error, then you have options.
  • you can go to Package Manager > select the VAR in question > User prefs > Something about ignoring errors
  • you can rename the error file to match what you want
  • you can change the meta.json file inside the VAR to call something else

If the error is only shown when loading the scene, then only the second point would prevent it depending on the type of error.

Also of interest:

Back
Top Bottom