Question Play Mode changes affect Edit Mode

Nickster

Reactions
Hello everyone,
Im new to VAM and have the following question:
Why do changes in the play mode affect the edit mode? Is this a normal behaviour?

For example: Set position for a atom in edit mode -> switch to play mode -> change position by dragging something -> switch to edit mode -> doesn't reset

I was expecting that all the changes in play mode does not affect the edit mode. Is there a "fast save" button anywhere so that i can reset fast in edit mode? How do you do it?

A atom has many options of interaction, be it control nodes, "interactable in play" checkbox, etc. By default they're all interactable in play mode if I'm not mistaken.

If you decided to move something, why would you want it to snap back to the previous place? Well, I can think of several reasons, but usually it's good for it be in the moved place. If you don't want that to happen on a specific atom then set control nodes to fixed or disable interactable in play.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your reply.
It would be good if i can test some scenarios in playmode and then go back in edit mode to have the privously "Edit State". For example if i create an animation and would like to test it in play mode first, so i dont lose my initial position of the edit mode.

So i have to always save my whole scene to test something in play mode?

Edit: I am a unity game developer and i expected the same behaviour like in unity. You create a scene in the Editor/Designer and then you click play to test your scene in the Player window. Then you stop the Player and you go back to the Editor where you have your init state of the game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I know nothing about Unity to compare that background.

How are you animating, using the Timeline plugin? If so and you don't add the person control to the targets list, then the person's location/rotation is not tracked. This could be useful or a problem depending on what you want to do in the animation.
If it's tracked then stopping and playing would take it back to the first keyframed position of the control target.

A heads up that I may use wrong or inaccurate terms because of my limited understanding of animation principles and background.

Upvote 0
Ok in animations that is ok.
Another example:
I attached a grabclothsphere and i tried to test it in play mode. Then there was a bug which lets the cloth fall down because the collider was set to inactive on the person because of that physic bug.

Then i think i just go back in edit mode to get the init state. But that was not the case.

I can't imagine how long this takes to create some scenes if you have to put every option, position, rotation, etc back after testing in play mode. The only option i see:

Save after every step before testing something.

Maybe the autosave plugin helps a bit, but then you still have to reload the scene, everytime you made a mistake or a bug occurs.

Is that correct or did i miss some basic option?

Upvote 0
You don't have to specify everything, but anything to do with physics and joints doesn't roll back to the exact situation as before as the going back also promotes interactions.
Using a pose will return to a near identical physics state, that's an option to consider, especially when making a more complex movement or potentially entangled persons.
Clothes as well if they have simulation on will also have different results; the CGS only works if it's set to ON when the clothing is already inside the volume, keep that in mind.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom