Not A Bug Physics engine, during scene load, causing unpredictable posing of Custom Unity Assets

fubar_life123

Featured Contributor
Reactions
Patreon
fubarLife123
I've noticed a recent hard to reproduce bug that, without a doubt, has to be due to the physics engine due to it's randomness. When loading Custom Unity Assets (CUA), the SAVED (default prefab) positions of the assets are not always preserved when re-loading the scene. Most of the time, it loads correctly, but on the rare occasion it does not. Either re-loading the scene or sometimes a complete restart of VaM is required.

Clearly, the beast of the physics engine has still not been tamed! It is not allowing plugins that are involved in node positioning to load correctly. It would be nice if physics would be switched-off until everything has finished loading, including the plugins. Maybe an option to manually turn-on/ off physics instead of it coming on automatically (disable physics at scene load), as a temporary workaround.

I know "CUAControllers.cs" has a bug where it cannot recall (save or load) poses (node coordinates) other than the default prefab pose. CUA in this case are in the "default prefab pose" and still have problems. This suggests the physics engine is partly to blame, at least at load time. I've loaded CUA hundreds of times in the past in the "default prefab pose," with out issues. I suspect something has change in a recent update.

I have not seen this behavior. Without some kind of testcase to reproduce this I won't be able to fix.

Plugins load immediately and not in a background coroutine or on a thread, so physics is paused while plugins load as part of a scene load. Custom Unity Assets, however, are async loaded, and if the CUA includes a dll with scripts, those scripts would not activate until the CUA is fully loaded.

I have not seen this behavior. Without some kind of testcase to reproduce this I won't be able to fix.

Plugins load immediately and not in a background coroutine or on a thread, so physics is paused while plugins load as part of a scene load. Custom Unity Assets, however, are async loaded, and if the CUA includes a dll with scripts, those scripts would not activate until the CUA is fully loaded.
On further investigation the behavior I experienced was due to the CUAControllers script not loading. It loads most of the time. There is some intermittent problem with plugins now. I'm also having issue with two other. VAMAFX and AmbientLightRig. So some plugins are a little wonky with VaM now.

[CUAControllers Stopped working like before these are the resulting Error messages]
> Exception caught: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at JayJayWon.PluginAssist.AtomUIDChange (System.Collections.Generic.List`1 atomUIDs) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
!> Exception caught: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at JayJayWon.PluginAssist.AtomUIDChange (System.Collections.Generic.List`1 atomUIDs) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
!> Exception caught: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Sorry! It looks like it might have been JayJayWon PluginAssist wreaking havoc (since the last update). I went ahead and disabled it. So far no issues.

Plugin issues should be reported to the plugin owner as there isn't anything I can do to fix issues like that. In some cases new VaM releases do break plugins, but I have tried to minimize this as much as possible. Plugin owners can always contact me if they think there is an issue with a new release that broke their plugin.

Meshed (and Team). I just want to make it clear that I extremely appreciative of this platform and the potential for creative expression that it offers! You guys rock! Any criticism made is intended to be constructive. ;) Little frustrations have little bearing on the overall POSITIVE experience. The more passionate your are about something the more you want to make it better...

Back
Top Bottom