Oculus quest2 connect through PC to play Vam but everything it so lack and slow, please help.

Prath

Reactions
Patreon
Prath_t2
I have connected Oculus quest 2 with Pc through with cable.
Vam VR looks so slow every scene moved like slow-motion.
Anyway play Vam on PC is great there is no problem at all.
Could anyone please advise? Any setup will help?
I'm using Intel Core i5-10500 CPU 3.10 GHz.
16. GB ram
Graphic Card Nvidia Geforce GTX 1650 Super

Thank you.

So I've spent a few days trying to get to grips with how to get the best performance on my PC using Quest 2 and here's what I've found..
Firstly you want to make sure you have the Oculus Tray Tool installed and running. Go to the Oculus Device Settings and make sure all the settings are on default either 75hz,80hz,90hz whichever. (I have 80hz, works best for me) Then open the Oculus Tray Tool and set the Default ASW Mode to 45hz forced, Default Super Sampling to 0 and Adaptive GPU Scaling to On. (The software changes the Super Sampling itself) This stopped most of the juddering for me and the ASW isn't very noticeable unless its a fast scene. (Someone dancing etc) In the Tray Tool you might also want to check the Quest Link settings and change them accordingly (can make a big difference to performance)

I've also found there are many different things which contribute to a low frame rate including the lighting, hair, clothing, the preset graphics options obviously, but the biggest factor is most def the models themselves. Some are much more detailed and complex than others. I'm gay so I'm using male models but I did notice the female ones can be quite taxing on the framerate as are some of the male ones I have, whereas others are alot better. With the 45hz forced option on I've found I can put the graphics much higher and have alot more going on in my scene without any bad glitching. I have noticed that sometimes the ASW dosn't insert itself properly into VaM so you may have to load the software than change the setting to 45hz forced.

My Specs..
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core Processor 4.00 GHz
16.0 GB Ram
GTX 1080

Last edited:
I was using VAM with Oculus Quest 2 via the cable and SteamVR. The experience was... similar to yours.

On this forum someone said that there was a better way of using it, getting rid of SteamVR because it was causing the lag, especially if SteamVR settings were messed up.

So, now I am using it wirelessly via Virtual Desktop app (AFAIR it was $20 or so, must be bought in Oculus Store). You install the app on the Oculus Quest 2, and then you install the Desktop Stream application from the developer's website. Both Oculus Quest and your PC must be connected to the same WiFi network to work correctly. Please refer to YouTube tutorials how to optimize Virtual Desktop's streaming settings (resolution, framerate, etc.).

After that you have 2 choices:

1. Using your PC, create a shortcut on your desktop with the target:

"C:\Program Files\Virtual Desktop Streamer\VirtualDesktop.Streamer.exe" "H:\VAM\VaM.exe"

I have my VAM folder on the drive H:, change your target location to where you keep your VAM.

Then, put on your headset and launch Virtual Desktop App, connect to your computer using your Quest app. After that, you will be able to see your desktop in your Quest. Now just click on your shortcut and VAM should launch in VR mode, without SteamVR.

If it is too difficult for you, you have the 2nd option:

2. After launching both Stream App on your PC and Virtual Desktop App on your Quest, connect to your computer using your Quest app. After that, you will be able to see your desktop in your Quest. From there, long press the small orange taskbar icon of the Virtual Desktop Streamer and select "Launch Game..." and then point to your VAM.EXE file on your HDD. The app will launch on your quest without the stupid SteamVR causing problems and delays.

Keep in mind that VAM will lag anyway if the loaded scene is cluttered with objects, especially some large environments, lights, etc.

To increase FPS, you can go to User Preferences in VAM and set the Render Scale to 0.9 or even to 0,7 (it only works in VR). You will lose some resolution, but FPS will increase. You can also use a free VAM plugin called GiveMeFPS.

My PC is 8 years old and I my VAM experience is quite good.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz
16GB RAM
GeForce GTX 1060

Here are my VAM settings:

Hope this helps :)

KG

After abit more playing around I've changed my mind, I've found it's actually better to turn off ASW altogether, seems to be more stable all round that way plus your getting full frames when you can rather than a constant 45fps. I'll prob turn on 45hz forced when there is alot going on or multiple high quality models but otherwise ill leave it off completely. I've found that sometimes for whatever reason the ASW will default back to Auto so I'm making sure I select off just before I open VaM.

That GiveMefps plugin is built into VamX another really good extension for VaM and does work a treat most of the time, I use it alot.

I was using VAM with Oculus Quest 2 via the cable and SteamVR. The experience was... similar to yours.

On this forum someone said that there was a better way of using it, getting rid of SteamVR because it was causing the lag, especially if SteamVR settings were messed up.

So, now I am using it wirelessly via Virtual Desktop app (AFAIR it was $20 or so, must be bought in Oculus Store). You install the app on the Oculus Quest 2, and then you install the Desktop Stream application from the developer's website. Both Oculus Quest and your PC must be connected to the same WiFi network to work correctly. Please refer to YouTube tutorials how to optimize Virtual Desktop's streaming settings (resolution, framerate, etc.).

"C:\Program Files\Virtual Desktop Streamer\VirtualDesktop.Streamer.exe" "H:\VAM\VaM.exe"

I have my VAM folder on the drive H:, change your target location to where you keep your VAM.

Then, put on your headset and launch Virtual Desktop App, connect to your computer using your Quest app. After that, you will be able to see your desktop in your Quest. Now just click on your shortcut and VAM should launch in VR mode, without SteamVR.

2. After launching both Stream App on your PC and Virtual Desktop App on your Quest, connect to your computer using your Quest app. After that, you will be able to see your desktop in your Quest. From there, long press the small orange taskbar icon of the Virtual Desktop Streamer and select "Launch Game..." and then point to your VAM.EXE file on your HDD. The app will launch on your quest without the stupid SteamVR causing problems and delays.

Keep in mind that VAM will lag anyway if the loaded scene is cluttered with objects, especially some large environments, lights, etc.

To increase FPS, you can go to User Preferences in VAM and set the Render Scale to 0.9 or even to 0,7 (it only works in VR). You will lose some resolution, but FPS will increase. You can also use a free VAM plugin called GiveMeFPS.

16GB RAM
GeForce GTX 1060

KG
Many many thanks for your reply. Any trying I will do as your adviced.

Cheers,
Nick

After abit more playing around I've changed my mind, I've found it's actually better to turn off ASW altogether, seems to be more stable all round that way plus your getting full frames when you can rather than a constant 45fps. I'll prob turn on 45hz forced when there is alot going on or multiple high quality models but otherwise ill leave it off completely. I've found that sometimes for whatever reason the ASW will default back to Auto so I'm making sure I select off just before I open VaM.

That GiveMefps plugin is built into VamX another really good extension for VaM and does work a treat most of the time, I use it alot.
Thank you very much for your reply.
Let's try out and see. It looks complicated for me cos I'm a low-tech person.
But I will try as your advised.

Thank you.
Nick

So I've spent a few days trying to get to grips with how to get the best performance on my PC using Quest 2 and here's what I've found..
Firstly you want to make sure you have the Oculus Tray Tool installed and running. Go to the Oculus Device Settings and make sure all the settings are on default either 75hz,80hz,90hz whichever. (I have 80hz, works best for me) Then open the Oculus Tray Tool and set the Default ASW Mode to 45hz forced, Default Super Sampling to 0 and Adaptive GPU Scaling to On. (The software changes the Super Sampling itself) This stopped most of the juddering for me and the ASW isn't very noticeable unless its a fast scene. (Someone dancing etc) In the Tray Tool you might also want to check the Quest Link settings and change them accordingly (can make a big difference to performance)

I've also found there are many different things which contribute to a low frame rate including the lighting, hair, clothing, the preset graphics options obviously, but the biggest factor is most def the models themselves. Some are much more detailed and complex than others. I'm gay so I'm using male models but I did notice the female ones can be quite taxing on the framerate as are some of the male ones I have, whereas others are alot better. With the 45hz forced option on I've found I can put the graphics much higher and have alot more going on in my scene without any bad glitching. I have noticed that sometimes the ASW dosn't insert itself properly into VaM so you may have to load the software than change the setting to 45hz forced.

My Specs..
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core Processor 4.00 GHz
16.0 GB Ram
GTX 1080

Hi.

Finally, I have found a way to solve this.
Just set the User Preferences as below. Quest 2 works much better.
1. Render Scale can remain 1.0 less than this a bit smoother.
2. Uncheck Solf Body Physics.
3. Physics Update cap set to 2 or 3

But anyway if the scene is too complex Quest2 also lags a bit.

Thanks,
Nick

16GB RAM
GeForce GTX 1060

KG

Hi.

Finally, I have found a way to solve this.
Just set the User Preferences as below. Quest 2 works much better.
1. Render Scale can remain 1.0 less than this a bit smoother.
3. Physics Update cap set to 2 or 3

Thanks,
Nick

I always disable soft body physics, unless I am rendering a 6K VR180 video for Quest2 playback.

Also, it's not Quest2's fault that too complex scenes lag. It is the way VAM handles computing the physics. AFAIK, it only uses 1 CPU core, so if you have a 4-core CPU clocked at 4GHz, it will play smoother than 16-core CPU clocked at 3.6GHz.

VAM2.0 is going to utilise all cores.

KG

Back
Top Bottom