• Hello Guest!

We have recently updated our Site Policies regarding the use of Non Commercial content within Paid Content posts. Please read the new policy here.

An offical announcement about this new policy can be read on our Discord.

~The VaMHub Moderation Team
  • Hello Guest!

We posted an announcment regarding upcoming changes to Paid Content submissions.

Please see this thread for more information.

Low poly mesh and quad subdivision

Dubidubi

Reactions
Hi,
From what I understand from YameteOuji guide on making cloth, VaM works best with quads.

I imported a highpoly Daz3D model to VaM with a good topology and it worked pefectly. I then tried to reduce the polygon numbers using ProOptimizer in 3dsmax and sure enough, the mesh looks good in 3ds and the vertices count is reduced. But if I import it back to VaM the mesh is distorded. ProOptimizer doesn't reduce the vertices count nicely and change it back to triangles. I tried different tools to reduce the vertices count while keeping quads from the original model to no success. The only idea that I have left would be to cut the mesh in different section to avoid optimizing the part where the distortion occurs. I haven't tried yet but it's a bit tedious to do.

My question is that : Do you know a software or a 3ds plugin that could help reducing vertices while keeping a nice topology ?

Hey,

I do a lot of modeling in 3ds max and use Topologik by Kinematiclab a bit as well as the default retypo tools in 3dsmax (which are really amazing when you wrap your head around them). Topologik can remove poly edges, rows and so on.

There is another plug called TurboReverse that tries to undo a turbosmooth while still leaving it quads.

Good luck, if you have the time I would recommending learning the retypology work flow. It gets easier the more you do it but you have full control over everything.

Hey,

I do a lot of modeling in 3ds max and use Topologik by Kinematiclab a bit as well as the default retypo tools in 3dsmax (which are really amazing when you wrap your head around them). Topologik can remove poly edges, rows and so on.

There is another plug called TurboReverse that tries to undo a turbosmooth while still leaving it quads.

Good luck, if you have the time I would recommending learning the retypology work flow. It gets easier the more you do it but you have full control over everything.
thanks. I actually used turboreverse but for the mesh I tried with, it wasn't convincing. I found some tutorials on topology using free-form and I think I will go that road.

That's really good to hear. You'll be able to solve a lot of issues. Currently looking at re-topology in Marvelous Designer as well. It has a lot of tools I didn't know about that you can lay out the correct flow. Going to do a bit of testing and work flow setups this week.

Good luck with it all.

Back
Top Bottom