Is there an easier way to tell what is causing performance issues in a scene?

neoajdude

Reactions
I feel like performance in VAM is pretty iffy regardless. But when making a scene I try to keep it around 30fps in VR for my mid-tier laptop.

I was recently working on a scene where the framerate was around 15fps. And I couldn't figure out why. I went through and literally turned everything off and on until I figured out it was a piece of clothing (that I've used before) causing it.

So just wondering if there is an easier way to tell what's impacting performance?

Some of my earlier work in the studio was known for being a real "Benchmark" forcing even strongest rigs to its knees. However in my experience it is the best way just to keep track over the FPS the whole time while working on a scene - especially in sequences you are adding something new of a more complex nature. You'll get a hang to it and later can tell already early in creation progress what exactly might cause problems in your scene helping you to draw the best route for you, the merciless FPS counter and what you actually want to see.

In some rare occasions specific hairs or clothing items, sometimes envios or even single assets in fact really drop hard on the FPS counter - so best bet is to watch like said each potentially step carefully on the counter.

perf.jpg

Lights, hair, clothings and especially body (female) physics. Environments as well.

Also a laptop is in general a bad platform for Vam because performance is generally worse than desktop. Laptop GPU is not equal to desktop GPU. And VaM wants single core CPU performance like crazy.

Back
Top Bottom