Question How to get a Daz Genesis (X) shape into VaM?

SpaceHerpy

Reactions
I'm new to VaM but experienced with Daz Studio. I want to learn how to get my daz characters into VaM. I'm fine with starting with just shapes for now, as there are a lot of nice free materials available for VaM. My understanding is that VaM uses Genesis 2 figures, so I assume that I need to convert shapes to G2 before exporting to VaM. So far, I have found 2 guides:

Convert any Genesis version to G2 for use in VAM

Match any face texture you like with any Genesis 2 skin set 2022-09-09

I'd be interested to know if anyone has any other guides, and which guide people have found most useful.

I use these:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've used the genesis 8 guide linked above with genesis 3 too. It's a little simpler with G3. I have an app called Headshop in Daz (like Facegen). It can do G3 or G8 from a photo, but the faces still need lots of tweaking. I tend to do the face tweaking in Daz, partly because it's not maxing out my machine the whole time. Body tweaking I tend to do in Vam, so I can see the results in motion right away.

Upvote 0
I've used the genesis 8 guide linked above with genesis 3 too. It's a little simpler with G3. I have an app called Headshop in Daz (like Facegen). It can do G3 or G8 from a photo, but the faces still need lots of tweaking. I tend to do the face tweaking in Daz, partly because it's not maxing out my machine the whole time. Body tweaking I tend to do in Vam, so I can see the results in motion right away.
I'm curious. If you used both, do you find one better overall than the other in any aspect you find relevant?

Upvote 0
In terms of using them in Daz, G8 is superior to G3. Part of that is that G8 characters all come with Iray settings. G3 models mostly need to be converted to Iray. The G8 model is overall better too. In terms of converting to Vam, G3 is a little simpler. Since I use textures already in Vam, that issue is moot. If I'm converting from a photo, G3 makes it easier.

Upvote 0
I'm sorry @SlimerJSpud , I didn't specify to what I was refering and only with your response did I notice my mistake 😅
I was refering to Headshop vs Facegen.
Thank you anyway for the G3 vs G8 review, I didn't know much about the differences so that's good to know too 🙇‍♂️

Upvote 0
I'm sorry @SlimerJSpud , I didn't specify to what I was refering and only with your response did I notice my mistake 😅
I was refering to Headshop vs Facegen.
Thank you anyway for the G3 vs G8 review, I didn't know much about the differences so that's good to know too 🙇‍♂️
There is a thread on the Daz forums about the comparisons. I have no experience using facegen, only headshop. In general, I would never use a face texture derived from some random photo, because whatever lighting existed when the photo was taken will be baked in.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom