Answered How to apply looks downloaded from hub?

Kexmonster

Reactions
Very new to VaM. Have tried to find an answer to this question both on Google and this forum but I'm still at a loss.

I download "Free Looks" from the Hub in-game. I can now jump into these scenes, where the person with the look is posing against something or other. When I add another person (to either that scene or an empty one), I cannot find the look I downloaded anywhere. Also, the file-explorer used when selecting looks is a bit weird. I cannot find a way to specify a path or jump up a folder.

Are these free looks meant to be used in the scene they are downloaded in only, or am I missing something?

Last edited:
Are these free looks meant to be used in the scene they are downloaded in only, or am I missing something?
Depends how creator decided on sharing those looks...basically there are 3 ways of sharing looks (not counting old .vac stuff...tehnically/mostly those are scenes)

it could be:
1.) scene (.json) only, so you have to load it and use that scene as base for your work
or save appearance preset of that character(person) and than load it on person inside your own scene

2.) appearance preset (.vap)
you have to add person/or load your own scene and apply appearance preset over it (not legacy preset)

2.2) legacy look/preset (.json)
you can load legacy look as scene, but you won't have lights
(or any info related to scene outside person atom), plus look is loaded in default t-pose...
to correctly load it you also need own scene (with person) and load legacy look on it
(hopefully it's not legacy preset [look+pose], since legacy presets also store root position, so character is loaded in different location/position)

in my opinion appearance preset is straight forward way to go
(so try looking for that inside "X" package, most creators also share appearance preset with scene..or preset only)
it can't be loaded as scene by mistake=less confussion when users get dark t-pose scene, also no root pos change (if legacy preset)

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply! I realized now that going into the downloaded scene and saving the look gave me a .json file which I can load into other scenes. I also read some other threads about file organization and I guess the in-game explorer is janky.

Upvote 0
Yep. Loading downloaded looks is a total mess. Sometimes you download one and it's a scene but you were searching within the looks, other times you can't find it in between all the other looks. Best method once you like a look: save look --> be happy. Cause this way all the saved looks are stored in chronologic order and YOU know when you saved it roughly.

Still the best way to find something is search by its name if you know it. In scenes and looks. And before you do this hit the tab on the side "All flattened from ...". Cause otherwise it's hidden in any of all these folders, no chance to find it.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom