• Hello Guest!

We have recently updated our Site Policies regarding the use of Non Commercial content within Paid Content posts. Please read the new policy here.

An offical announcement about this new policy can be read on our Discord.

~The VaMHub Moderation Team
  • Hello Guest!

We posted an announcment regarding upcoming changes to Paid Content submissions.

Please see this thread for more information.

Holiday

Scenes Holiday (version 7)

Romolas

Featured Contributor
Reactions
Patreon
Romolas
Romolas submitted a new resource:

Romolas - Holiday (version 2) - One scene, Multiple sex positions!

Hello! Here's version 2 of my scene. You can watch a preview video here, which showcases some of the many improvements over the first version of the scene (Available for free here).

The main idea behind my project is to create single scene where you can "experience" your favourite VAM model in multiple positions without having to load a new scene...

Read more about this resource...

Great idea and build, but I'm having issues with the male positioning. The male just gyrates oddly in place away from the female. This is the case in all positions. I left everything default and did not load any looks.

Great idea and build, but I'm having issues with the male positioning. The male just gyrates oddly in place away from the female. This is the case in all positions. I left everything default and did not load any looks.
Thank you for the report! I think that happens when SexHelper doesn't remember the male/female atoms. I thought I had fixed it because it was working on my end, but I guess not. I think I know how to fix it permanently going forward, so I'll make sure that's resolved in the next version. For the time-being, it can be fixed after loading the scene as follows:
- Go to the Plugins for the Male, find SexHelper and 'Open Custom UI'. You'll see some drop-down boxes for the Male Atom and Female Atom. Just make sure that the Male atom is 'Male' and the Female atom is 'Female'. The Female atom is probably currently 'Male', which is why the dude gyrates in place trying to penetrate himself lol.
Sorry about that! Some issues only seem to show up when other people test the scene. I appreciate the report and will fix it.

Thank you for the report! I think that happens when SexHelper doesn't remember the male/female atoms. I thought I had fixed it because it was working on my end, but I guess not. I think I know how to fix it permanently going forward, so I'll make sure that's resolved in the next version. For the time-being, it can be fixed after loading the scene as follows:
- Go to the Plugins for the Male, find SexHelper and 'Open Custom UI'. You'll see some drop-down boxes for the Male Atom and Female Atom. Just make sure that the Male atom is 'Male' and the Female atom is 'Female'. The Female atom is probably currently 'Male', which is why the dude gyrates in place trying to penetrate himself lol.
Sorry about that! Some issues only seem to show up when other people test the scene. I appreciate the report and will fix it.
I was having trouble trying to describe it, but yes, he was indeed penetrating himself lol. Thanks, that solved it! Again, loving the scene and it's very convenient. Good job.

I was having trouble trying to describe it, but yes, he was indeed penetrating himself lol. Thanks, that solved it! Again, loving the scene and it's very convenient. Good job.
Haha no problem! I really appreciate your comment and your review. It's nice to know that people are enjoying it, and it's really helpful to get feedback like this because otherwise I won't know what to fix. I have many ideas for this scene so you can look forward to it getting bigger and better in the future.

Romolas updated Romolas - Holiday with a new update entry:

Holiday v3

Hi everyone! Version 3 of my scene is now available for free to everyone, you can watch the preview video here.

The scene now features an additional 2 positions for a total of 7! This includes the first BJ position, utilising the incredible BJAssist plugin from JayJayWon with random parameters to ensure an unpredictable sexy experience.

I have also made various other improvements; you can find full...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Holiday v4

Hello! Version 4 of my scene is now free to everyone. You can watch a preview video here.

I finally managed to implement riding positions, so that's the focus of this release. There are 3 new sex positions with the girl on top, this brings us to a total of TEN positions within the scene.

I've also added a simple toggle for some simmed pyjamas. You can now undress the girl with your hands! And thanks to...

Holiday v5

Hey everyone! Version 5 is now free to all.

The focus of this release was audio, which I've been sleeping on for too long! Hopefully, the environment should really feel more alive and immersive now.

I've tried to create an authentic atmosphere by triggering ambient audio at appropriate times of the Day/Night cycle. For example, you'll hear birds chirping in the morning, the sounds of traffic during the day, wind blowing on the rooftops, even the clock ticking! Those are just a few...

some more feedback after playing around with it a bit.

main issue i had was the lighting, as i found it way to flat. first i thought i'd just decrease the global illumination, but i saw that you have it animated and it was not set very high to begin with, so this wasn't the problem. then i realized that you use "directional lights" for both sun and city/night lights and i think that those are the problem, as for some reason, they have really light shadows. increasing "shadow intensity" to 1 gives them the dark shadows you'd expect. maybe you wanna try that out, if you haven't already. better lighten up darker areas with an additional light than have your main light with unrealisticaly light shadows.

also on directional lights it does not matter where they are positioned in space, as they shoot parallel rays. your sunlight orbiting the scene is therefore not necesary. simply rotating it on it's y-axis would have the same effect.
also i wasn't sure if the "night light" was supposed to mimic the moon or the city lights light spill. i found that it looked more natural for the scene if tilted downwards a bit, so that it could cast shadows over the floor. this way it looked more like moon light, because the light spill of city light would not cast a proper shadow anyway (too soft).

last thing i did not like was the "room light". i did not understand why you animated the colour. wouldn't it be "cleaner", easier and more immersive if you'd simply make it a proper room light with a set warm colour and have a button to switch it on and off, or have it automatically switch on at night? maybe even add a practical instead of the invisible light source? i would also position it to come from a different direction than the moon/city light. so you'd have some nice colour contrast (cold city/moon from outside, warm light from other direction)?
together with the rain and haze effects i could produce some stunning visuals simply by tuning some of those light values.

of course these are not issues to be fixed, but stylistic choices, so just take them as ideas for experimentation.

in short:
check directional light properties:
-> position does not matter, direction does (all axis)
-> sun orbit not necessary therefor
-> directional lights need tuning of shadow intensity (it has different effect here than on other light sources)
-> imho "night light" looks better when tilted down a bit to give more interesting shadows (moon lighting)
-> "room light" is unmotivated at the moment. better use it as a realistic internal lighting with chances for some great colour contrast at night

all in all great scene. i love the weather effects, and the general setup of the scene with good use of vanilla assets.
also great, that there is an easy option to disable features for performance: the tv set would have been too much for my rig to handle smoothly!

keep up the good work!

some more feedback after playing around with it a bit.

main issue i had was the lighting, as i found it way to flat. first i thought i'd just decrease the global illumination, but i saw that you have it animated and it was not set very high to begin with, so this wasn't the problem. then i realized that you use "directional lights" for both sun and city/night lights and i think that those are the problem, as for some reason, they have really light shadows. increasing "shadow intensity" to 1 gives them the dark shadows you'd expect. maybe you wanna try that out, if you haven't already. better lighten up darker areas with an additional light than have your main light with unrealisticaly light shadows.

also on directional lights it does not matter where they are positioned in space, as they shoot parallel rays. your sunlight orbiting the scene is therefore not necesary. simply rotating it on it's y-axis would have the same effect.
also i wasn't sure if the "night light" was supposed to mimic the moon or the city lights light spill. i found that it looked more natural for the scene if tilted downwards a bit, so that it could cast shadows over the floor. this way it looked more like moon light, because the light spill of city light would not cast a proper shadow anyway (too soft).

last thing i did not like was the "room light". i did not understand why you animated the colour. wouldn't it be "cleaner", easier and more immersive if you'd simply make it a proper room light with a set warm colour and have a button to switch it on and off, or have it automatically switch on at night? maybe even add a practical instead of the invisible light source? i would also position it to come from a different direction than the moon/city light. so you'd have some nice colour contrast (cold city/moon from outside, warm light from other direction)?
together with the rain and haze effects i could produce some stunning visuals simply by tuning some of those light values.

of course these are not issues to be fixed, but stylistic choices, so just take them as ideas for experimentation.

in short:
check directional light properties:
-> position does not matter, direction does (all axis)
-> sun orbit not necessary therefor
-> directional lights need tuning of shadow intensity (it has different effect here than on other light sources)
-> imho "night light" looks better when tilted down a bit to give more interesting shadows (moon lighting)
-> "room light" is unmotivated at the moment. better use it as a realistic internal lighting with chances for some great colour contrast at night

all in all great scene. i love the weather effects, and the general setup of the scene with good use of vanilla assets.
also great, that there is an easy option to disable features for performance: the tv set would have been too much for my rig to handle smoothly!

keep up the good work!
Oh wow that's amazing, thank you so much for the feedback! Stuff like this really helps, as admittedly lighting is something I struggled with. Pretty much everything you've mentioned sounds like improvements.

A few points:
  • The animation pattern rotating the sunlight: Tbh this is a relic of the first iteration of my Day/Night cycle where I for some reason used a point light (Doh!). I created it like that to line the light up with the actual physical location of the sun in the skybox, which helped me to tune the timing of the 24h cycle. If I was to make it fresh now I probably wouldn't have bothered, but as long as it doesn't cause any performance issues I think I'll just let it rotate, if only to avoid the extra work of removing it lol.
  • The room light: This was something I definitely struggled with and am still not happy with. I found that the directional lights alone didn't light up the scene properly (imo), and in certain positions at certain times, the models just wouldn't be visible. So I created a room light and animated it for each position. One big issue I had was the blatant reflections on the walls and the glare on the TV screen.
  • In terms of animating the colour, I actually did this on purpose to tie in with the Day/Night cycle. Again, I found that the directional lights alone didn't quite give me the effects I wanted inside the room. For example, at sunset the interior of the room just wasn't as orange as I wanted it to be, at night I wanted it to be more blue etc. But for sure that's something I'm still constantly fiddling with and I'll try to improve it. At the very least, I will 100% add an in-game toggle to switch that room light off thanks to your advice.
It means so much that you liked the weather effects. I was really excited when I had the idea, but I wondered if anyone would even care or find it useful lol. It was actually really fun to create the weather dial and get the system working the way I wanted.

I really appreciate your feedback, thank you so much and I'll definitely try to work on all of those points. 🙏

The animation pattern rotating the sunlight: Tbh this is a relic of the first iteration of my Day/Night cycle [...]
i was expecting somethign like that already;)
The room light: This was something I definitely struggled with and am still not happy with. I found that the directional lights alone didn't light up the scene properly (imo), and in certain positions at certain times, the models just wouldn't be visible. So I created a room light and animated it for each position. One big issue I had was the blatant reflections on the walls and the glare on the TV screen.
i see. i totally missed that it was animated for each scene, because when i fiddled with the lights i did not change the scenes. i understand the problem, you need that single light to do too many things in my opinion, but it cannot look like a practical interior light and at the same time be an extension of outside light. i would suggest you approach the problem differently: create 1 or 2 practical point lights (ceiling lights, wall lights etc.) on positions that would make some sense for a practical light to be. you give them a warm colour and only animate them being switched on and off, so that at a point in time not all lights are on (mainly a question of performance). now they actually look and "feel" like cosy interior lights and they can even spill warm lights on the balcony area. their second job is to ensure that there is light where the moon-light can't reach.

only then, i would look at the individual scenes and if needed create a light similar to your room light, but i would call it "helper" or "cheat light" and this light would only be there to help when you want to highlight a detail, a face etc. or maybe even to add some more colour to the scene. this light is not a "practical" light, as it has no realistic reasons to be there. you could also call it an effect light. because you already have your practical room lights, this light can be very dim, or very narrow. ideally you don't want the viewer to notice it being there.
as an example: the little pool outside has it's own light, but it is very dim and might not be enough, so you would add the helper light just to give a small extra highlight on a character without it showing as it's own light source. think of it as an extension of the light that is already there.

In terms of animating the colour, I actually did this on purpose to tie in with the Day/Night cycle. Again, I found that the directional lights alone didn't quite give me the effects I wanted inside the room. For example, at sunset the interior of the room just wasn't as orange as I wanted it to be, at night I wanted it to be more blue etc. But for sure that's something I'm still constantly fiddling with and I'll try to improve it. At the very least, I will 100% add an in-game toggle to switch that room light off thanks to your advice.
here it's even more important to seperate the practical room light from effect light i think. if you have the room lights at a set colour, the blue moon light should get more obvious, because now you have a colour contrast (warm interior light versus cold moon light flooding in). of course you can't have too much interior light, or the moon light won't show at all. it's a blanace act obviously.
if you want more colour at sunset, sunrise, i would try to just animate the sunlight to be even more red. same for the blue moon light, if it's not blue enough already.

so in short: just a suggestion of course:

use one or two room light as practical light in a "motivated" manner. make them point light, give them a warm/warm-white colour. switch them on and off as needed, but don't animate them further. they belong to the apartment furniture now... (of yourse you can move them to suit your needs, but they should still look like ceiling or wall lights. i have looked if there are any practical light in vam, but they are all a bit rubbish, so better just use the "invisible light")

to get more colour in the scene use more red on the sunlight (or more blue on the night light, but i think blue is fine already)

use an effect light to highlight areas or give colour accents, but don't let the light itself get obvious. use it as an extension of light sources that are alerady contributing to the scene. if you find that a scene is still to dim, check if you can "switch" on a second ceiling light to help or maybe move a ceiling light closer. making the effect light brighter should be your last resort, because it is not motivated and should not be obvious to the viewer.

It means so much that you liked the weather effects. I was really excited when I had the idea, but I wondered if anyone would even care or find it useful lol. It was actually really fun to create the weather dial and get the system working the way I wanted.

I really appreciate your feedback, thank you so much and I'll definitely try to work on all of those points. 🙏
the weather is really impressive. i had it on random and it gave me a very hazy morning that looked very realistic and transformed that low low poly cityscape into a real place. very immersive. if i have some time i will look into it, to see how you did it;)

you are welcome. again just take it as inspiration. my experience comes from real life cinematography, but that does not always translate perfectly to 3d graphics...

1600127091.jpg
1600127210.jpg
1600127727.jpg
1600128071.jpg
1600136150.jpg
1600137588.jpg
1600130162.jpg
1600130906.jpg

Last edited:
i was expecting somethign like that already;)

i see. i totally missed that it was animated for each scene, because when i fiddled with the lights i did not change the scenes. i understand the problem, you need that single light to do too many things in my opinion, but it cannot look like a practical interior light and at the same time be an extension of outside light. i would suggest you approach the problem differently: create 1 or 2 practical point lights (ceiling lights, wall lights etc.) on positions that would make some sense for a practical light to be. you give them a warm colour and only animate them being switched on and off, so that at a point in time not all lights are on (mainly a question of performance). now they actually look and "feel" like cosy interior lights and they can even spill warm lights on the balcony area. their second job is to ensure that there is light where the moon-light can't reach.

only then, i would look at the individual scenes and if needed create a light similar to your room light, but i would call it "helper" or "cheat light" and this light would only be there to help when you want to highlight a detail, a face etc. or maybe even to add some more colour to the scene. this light is not a "practical" light, as it has no realistic reasons to be there. you could also call it an effect light. because you already have your practical room lights, this light can be very dim, or very narrow. ideally you don't want the viewer to notice it being there.
as an example: the little pool outside has it's own light, but it is very dim and might not be enough, so you would add the helper light just to give a small extra highlight on a character without it showing as it's own light source. think of it as an extension of the light that is already there.

here it's even more important to seperate the practical room light from effect light i think. if you have the room lights at a set colour, the blue moon light should get more obvious, because now you have a colour contrast (warm interior light versus cold moon light flooding in). of course you can't have too much interior light, or the moon light won't show at all. it's a blanace act obviously.
if you want more colour at sunset, sunrise, i would try to just animate the sunlight to be even more red. same for the blue moon light, if it's not blue enough already.

so in short: just a suggestion of course:

use one or two room light as practical light in a "motivated" manner. make them point light, give them a warm/warm-white colour. switch them on and off as needed, but don't animate them further. they belong to the apartment furniture now... (of yourse you can move them to suit your needs, but they should still look like ceiling or wall lights. i have looked if there are any practical light in vam, but they are all a bit rubbish, so better just use the "invisible light")

to get more colour in the scene use more red on the sunlight (or more blue on the night light, but i think blue is fine already)

use an effect light to highlight areas or give colour accents, but don't let the light itself get obvious. use it as an extension of light sources that are alerady contributing to the scene. if you find that a scene is still to dim, check if you can "switch" on a second ceiling light to help or maybe move a ceiling light closer. making the effect light brighter should be your last resort, because it is not motivated and should not be obvious to the viewer.

the weather is really impressive. i had it on random and it gave me a very hazy morning that looked very realistic and transformed that low low poly cityscape into a real place. very immersive. if i have some time i will look into it, to see how you did it;)

you are welcome. again just take it as inspiration. my experience comes from real life cinematography, but that does not always translate perfectly to 3d graphics...
Ah wow yeah those sound like great ideas, I'll definitely try out those room light suggestions, that sounds like a much better implementation than what I have currently. It makes a lot of sense regarding the room light needing a reason to be there, and is probably why I was never happy with it.

Right now I agree that the best way will probably be to fix the main room light in the middle of the room (Kinda like a standard room ceiling light), and then implement practical sources of light in certain positions around the room, and toggling them depending on the current position of the models.

Those screenshots are incredible and really give me some guidance to work with, thank you! I can hardly believe they're from my scene lol. When I started this project I didn't care too much about presentation in terms of ambience/lighting but I realised its importance as I got further into it.

Your level of expertise is something I could never achieve from watching youtube videos lol, so again I really appreciate you taking the time to provide your feedback. I know for sure it'll help make my scene better. (y)

i'm happy to help. i'm not motivated to do a proper scene myself (i think i would get bored or frustrated with all the animations and scripting), so i tend to play around witht what others have created.

be careful with the images i posted, they are indeed your scene without significant changes and only use 3 lights maximum (mostly two light only, as the effect light is only used on the mirror scene (light bounce fromt he mirror) and the standing outside kamasutra scene (light from streetlevel shining upwards to give somedefinition on her face and interesting shadows on the bodies) BUT i had the day/night cycle stopped and for every picture deliberately aimed the sun / moon light for best effect and also moved the ceiling light around a bit for optimal effect. you don't have that luxury, because you decided to go the ambitious route with the day/night cycle;)
on that occasion i realized how difficult it is to get that cinematic lighting with a day/night cycle (but i still like the idea of it - it just complicates things a lot;) )
some ideas on how you could cheat a little bit:
-> cheat light (described already - as a last resort. it's also a nightmare to properly tune, because it would have to change per scene and depending on time of day). if you increase the shadows on the directional lights, you'll need this for every day scene to simulate light bouncing back from the wall in the back (in my pictures i did not do that, because the ceiling light was enough to brighten the shadows, but this is to some extend what i critizised with you room light (a practical light being missused as an effect light. in this case the effect was exactly the same, but you could argue that it would have been cleaner from a workflow perspective to switch of the ceiling light at sunrise and bring in the effect light to simulate the light bounce)
-> cheat with the moon light: since you don't have the direction animated, you could maybe aim it differently for every scene. of curse not realistic, but it might make things much easier. with this you could easily get the look from my pictures - in the night scenes at least - because you could aim the moon light per scene and contrast it with the ceiling light without needing a third light (i only used third light for outside kamasutra and mirror scene).

another important thing is global illumination. i don't have any definitive advise here, as this is something that works quite different in reality and even works differently in every graphics engine. i'll just tell you what i did, as a suggestion to try out, but i think this is not only a question of style and aesthetics, but mainly a question of workflow, especially if you do day/night.
in short, i did not want to bother too much with GI, because it is a headache when you cannot dynamically change the skybox in a dynamic scene imho.
i however needed some GI very badly, because i increased (maxed) the shadow strength on the directional light, which does not work on the cityscape without GI (compeltely black shadows on the cityscape) , so i set GI to default values and from there decreased it as much as i could, only looking at the cityscape with sun coming from behind the buildings (on the scene itself you can always light up shadows with your practical light, or cheat light, but you don't want to bother with that on the cityscape environment)
you could argue that it would be realistic to decrease the GI dynamically at night, which is true, but i found that it did not make that big of a difference, so i did not fiddle with it any further.
i did however use the camera exposure slider a lot and this might be a good idea to animate with the day/night cycle. i tried to somewhat mimic a pbr (physical baased rendering) workflow, which means that the sun is significantly brighter than the moon (i think i used only double or triple values, so not really physically correct) and then at night i increased camera exposure to get the brightness where i needed it. why would you do this?
only reason here would be that the ceiling lights would have somewhat realistic brightness compared to outside light. they have always the same brightness value, but as the sun goes down they appear brighter, because the exposure gets up (hooray for realism!).
if you only do light for a single picture it does not matter if you change brightness values on lights or camera exposure, but when you have a dynamic scene, it's cleaner to keep brightness levels of natural light (sun/moon) and practicals (ceiling light etc) in a somewhat realistic relation and control brightness with the camera exposure slider.

can't think of any more. hope that helps.

oh another bit of feedback:
would it be possible to have an option that disables the UI elements? maybe have one keybind that toggles visibility of the UI. don't know if this is technically possible.
i think your UI and usability are extremely good already with the clipboard and weather station, but especially in photo mode some UI elements get in the way...

I gave it another shot and took some more creative liberties. this one is way to complex to get it working in a dynamic setup, but i think it demosntrates the concept of practical light versus effect light (i don't know what the "correct" english term is unfortunately).
There is the main light: Moon, directional
First "practical" light is a point light behind the camera, where the bed is. like a bedside reading lamp. This set the base illumination together with the moon light
Second practical light is the light in the pool, which is not really controllabe as far as i know
These three lights would technically be enough to have the scene lit (main light from outside, other direction is the fill light from the reading lamp behind the camera, while the pool light acts as a fill light for the bikini girls outside.

To make it more interesting i added another practical: the spot light on the painting, but since we don't have bounce light in vam, i added an effect light on the painting that shoots back into the scene. So what looks like one practical light, is actually one practical light + one effect light. Both are spotlights, but the bounce effect has a very wide cone. It gives the glow on the womans face, it illuminates the sleeping cat and gives some more texture to the whole room interior.
I also added another effect light as an extension for the pool light, because the pool light did not really reach the girl on the right. So the light is just a dim spotlight to help with the outside fill light.
So in total:
-Minimal Global Illumiantion, just enough to make the cityscape look good
-directional "moon" with 100% shadow strengths
-practical* as fill light "bed", point light
-practical* "pool" (comes with the pool asset)
-practical* "painting spot", spot
-effect light "painting spot bounce"
-light extension "pool helper", spot light to help with the fill outside

*practical lights in cinematography are lights where the actual light fixture is in the scene, like a reading lamp where the actual lamp object is visible. I use the term loosely for lights that mimic this but still use vams "invisible lights". That's simply because the actual "practical" lights in vam don't work correctly with shadows. You could still imagine the "painting spot" to be a true spot light, while the "painting spot bounce" is a "cheat" light or "virtual" light, that is just there to mimic properties of light, that the unity engine cannot simulate by itself... rytracing would help immensly with those things, because it takes care of all of this by itself

1600184512.jpg

i'm happy to help. i'm not motivated to do a proper scene myself (i think i would get bored or frustrated with all the animations and scripting), so i tend to play around witht what others have created.

be careful with the images i posted, they are indeed your scene without significant changes and only use 3 lights maximum (mostly two light only, as the effect light is only used on the mirror scene (light bounce fromt he mirror) and the standing outside kamasutra scene (light from streetlevel shining upwards to give somedefinition on her face and interesting shadows on the bodies) BUT i had the day/night cycle stopped and for every picture deliberately aimed the sun / moon light for best effect and also moved the ceiling light around a bit for optimal effect. you don't have that luxury, because you decided to go the ambitious route with the day/night cycle;)
on that occasion i realized how difficult it is to get that cinematic lighting with a day/night cycle (but i still like the idea of it - it just complicates things a lot;) )
some ideas on how you could cheat a little bit:
-> cheat light (described already - as a last resort. it's also a nightmare to properly tune, because it would have to change per scene and depending on time of day). if you increase the shadows on the directional lights, you'll need this for every day scene to simulate light bouncing back from the wall in the back (in my pictures i did not do that, because the ceiling light was enough to brighten the shadows, but this is to some extend what i critizised with you room light (a practical light being missused as an effect light. in this case the effect was exactly the same, but you could argue that it would have been cleaner from a workflow perspective to switch of the ceiling light at sunrise and bring in the effect light to simulate the light bounce)
-> cheat with the moon light: since you don't have the direction animated, you could maybe aim it differently for every scene. of curse not realistic, but it might make things much easier. with this you could easily get the look from my pictures - in the night scenes at least - because you could aim the moon light per scene and contrast it with the ceiling light without needing a third light (i only used third light for outside kamasutra and mirror scene).

another important thing is global illumination. i don't have any definitive advise here, as this is something that works quite different in reality and even works differently in every graphics engine. i'll just tell you what i did, as a suggestion to try out, but i think this is not only a question of style and aesthetics, but mainly a question of workflow, especially if you do day/night.
in short, i did not want to bother too much with GI, because it is a headache when you cannot dynamically change the skybox in a dynamic scene imho.
i however needed some GI very badly, because i increased (maxed) the shadow strength on the directional light, which does not work on the cityscape without GI (compeltely black shadows on the cityscape) , so i set GI to default values and from there decreased it as much as i could, only looking at the cityscape with sun coming from behind the buildings (on the scene itself you can always light up shadows with your practical light, or cheat light, but you don't want to bother with that on the cityscape environment)
you could argue that it would be realistic to decrease the GI dynamically at night, which is true, but i found that it did not make that big of a difference, so i did not fiddle with it any further.
i did however use the camera exposure slider a lot and this might be a good idea to animate with the day/night cycle. i tried to somewhat mimic a pbr (physical baased rendering) workflow, which means that the sun is significantly brighter than the moon (i think i used only double or triple values, so not really physically correct) and then at night i increased camera exposure to get the brightness where i needed it. why would you do this?
only reason here would be that the ceiling lights would have somewhat realistic brightness compared to outside light. they have always the same brightness value, but as the sun goes down they appear brighter, because the exposure gets up (hooray for realism!).
if you only do light for a single picture it does not matter if you change brightness values on lights or camera exposure, but when you have a dynamic scene, it's cleaner to keep brightness levels of natural light (sun/moon) and practicals (ceiling light etc) in a somewhat realistic relation and control brightness with the camera exposure slider.

can't think of any more. hope that helps.
That was a really interesting read, thank you! I've watched a few videos which mentioned similar stuff but it makes a lot more sense to hear you apply it to my scene. Animating the moonlight is something I didn't think of, I'll definitely give it a try to see how it looks.

I remember playing around with global illumination and camera exposure and kind of gave up when I realised the skybox selection couldn't be animated (If this was possible it would be a dream lol, I could do so many cool things in combination with my weather system). I'll have another fiddle with it.

And yeah haha when making this scene I've had a small glimpse into the life of a coder. I make a seemingly small change and it breaks something completely random lol. Can definitely get frustrating sometimes 😭

The screenshot simply looks incredible, it looks like a whole other scene! Your insight is seriously valuable and I definitely have lots of ideas now. I'll use your latest image as guidance (I see you even moved the chair with the cat! 😂)

Regarding the UI toggle, yes absolutely, that's already on my list. I just need to make an empty atom and parent all of the UI elements to it. Then I'll add a toggle on the clipboard. Shouldn't be too hard but it just takes time. I started this project during lockdown and now as my job is getting busy again I have much less free time for VaM. But i'll definitely add it eventually. (y)

(y)
only one little note: glad you like the last image, but remember that it's probably a bit too complex lighting to pull off in a dynamic scene without going crazy (technically possible of course, but even for that one shot i had to tweak the values multiple time. doing this kind of light for the interactive, dynamic scene seems like a nightmare to me;) )
it's probably better to aim for a 2+1 light approach (like in the first batch of images: main light, fill light, and effect if needed). if you get this working without going crazy, you can add more of course.
imagine the last image without the painting spot light: it's the same lighting as in the images before. of course you'd need to completely rearrange it, because the painting is a big part of the composition, but technically the scene as a whole would still be well lit.

(y)
only one little note: glad you like the last image, but remember that it's probably a bit too complex lighting to pull off in a dynamic scene without going crazy (technically possible of course, but even for that one shot i had to tweak the values multiple time. doing this kind of light for the interactive, dynamic scene seems like a nightmare to me;) )
it's probably better to aim for a 2+1 light approach (like in the first batch of images: main light, fill light, and effect if needed). if you get this working without going crazy, you can add more of course.
imagine the last image without the painting spot light: it's the same lighting as in the images before. of course you'd need to completely rearrange it, because the painting is a big part of the composition, but technically the scene as a whole would still be well lit.
Ah of course yeah, I'll definitely keep it simple at least to start with. But at least now I have an idea of what good lighting can look like, so I can aim to reproduce something similar but in a manageable way within my workflow.

There's definitely a lot for me to work with so I'm looking forward to jumping back in and trying to implement some of your suggestions. Thanks again!

Hey man first off I really enjoy your scene, thanks for putting the effort into it and letting everybody enjoy it!

Secondly, sorry if this is a bit of a noob question, but I was wondering if it is possible to remap the possess button to something on the oculus controller, or if it is stuck to a button on KB/M.

Also, not sure what is happening in this position :(

Last edited:
Hey man first off I really enjoy your scene, thanks for putting the effort into it and letting everybody enjoy it!

Secondly, sorry if this is a bit of a noob question, but I was wondering if it is possible to remap the possess button to something on the oculus controller, or if it is stuck to a button on KB/M.

Also, not sure what is happening in this position :(
Hey no problem! Thanks for the kind words. Yeah so the instructions to change the possess button are in the ReadMe but I'll copy-paste it here:

To change the Male possess shortcut in Acidbubbles' Passenger Plugin:
- Press N until you get to the 'Male' control.
- Choose the dark purple 'Plugins' tab at the top left of your screen.
- Scroll to the Passenger Plugin and click 'Open Custom UI'.
- Change the 'Toggle Key' to your preferred option from the drop-down list.

Tbh I've never tried mapping it to a VR controller, but hopefully that should do it. That's definitely the procedure for remapping it, so I'm hoping your Oculus buttons should show up in that drop-down box.

For your screenshot, I'm not too sure what's happening either 😂. Did you try pressing the reposition button? And does that happen every time you swap to that position?

For your screenshot, I'm not too sure what's happening either 😂. Did you try pressing the reposition button? And does that happen every time you swap to that position?
Yeah it is consistent in bugging out, always does the same thing in the screenshot, all other positions work fine for me

Yeah it is consistent in bugging out, always does the same thing in the screenshot, all other positions work fine for me
Okay thanks for the report! Yeah after VaM 1.20 some of the poses which were working fine started having this issue. I fixed it for the others by automatically turning collision off then back on again during the pose loads. I guess I forgot to do it for the bed position.

As a temp fix, you can just toggle off collision for either the guy or the girl, doesn't matter which one. The poses should then lock into the correct place, and then you can turn collision back on again. Sorry about that! The scene is so big now that sometimes I miss stuff when testing it. I'll fix it in the next update.

Last edited:

Holiday v7

Hey everyone, version 7 of my scene is now free. You can watch a preview video here.

My main focus for this update was lighting. Still needs some work but it should hopefully be a lot more authentic now (A big thank you to Kinski for all of the fantastic advice).

I tried to ensure that each light has an actual practical source in the scene (An...

Back
Top Bottom