Glance: Realistic head-driven eye motion

Plugins Glance: Realistic head-driven eye motion

is there any documentation on using a glancetarget? can't seem to get it working
nevermind I missed the secondary cs file

Interesting. Conflicted on whether or not this is a better alternative to Dragontale's She's Alive plugin which behaves similarly to this one.
Hi. Just saw this when looking into updating my "She's Alive" presets and just wanted to clarify that the Real Gaze plugin isn't technically mine. At the time I was creating my presets, this was the best plugin I had available and the original creator (who was no longer active) graciously allowed me to post it here on the hub. It always had several issues that has never gotten resolved (like when she suddenly starts looking at places way behind her). I had then created (but never posted) a preset using synergy. This has worked very well for me for quite a while. It allows for setting look at targets as well as random points. However, this is great for when the figure isn't moving around and turning (mocaps) as she will consistently keep trying to look at you (if combined with Life's gaze) making the mocap problematic unless you turn off the ability for the head to turn. So this lead me to finally start playing with Glance. I was initially daunted by it as it seemed a bit complex and I couldn't get it to do what I wanted, but after messing with it for a bit, I think I've found a nice setting that does very similar things to what I had with synergy, but also allows for use with mocaps.

Acid bubbles, I did notice a couple things that I wanted to ask about. The first is that, if I save my setup as a plugin preset, it doesn't seem to bring glance back with it working. Her eyes just sit still with no movement. If I "reload' the plugin, it then does, however the settings I had would now be gone. The second is that the plugin seems very centered on movement, correct? if an object comes into view or moves around her, it'll become active, correct? The one thing I noticed is that if she isn't moving and I'm not moving, then the target choices don't seem to activate. Is this also the case?

Hi @Dragontales! Yeah Glance has a ton of sliders but they really just offer fine tuning, normally the presets should work fine. Glance works by continually scanning the scene for objects within the view of the person atom. If there's a new object coming into view, it'll attract the attention of the person and depending on the "weight" of the object, they'll look at it more or less often, and for more or less time. The reason it works well for mocap is because it's extremely difficult to animate eye movement, e.g. when the head turns the eyes will blink opportunistically (thanks Timbo!), there's eye saccade, looking back into mirrors (that one's kind of unique), pre-emptively guessing where the eyes will look at after sudden head movements, etc... but you can use it for static poses too, no problem :)

I was able to use Glance in a plugin preset, do you have precise steps I can follow to reproduce?

And what do you mean by "target choices"? If you scroll at the end, on the left there's a "debug" toggle that will show you the person's view area and there's also a text field where you can see exactly which objects are within the angle of view. Something that surprised a few people is that the defaults won't "force" eye movement in uncomfortable position. So if you're too much on the person's side, VaM (and Life, etc.) will try very hard to look, but Glance will "let go", thinking "if the person really wanted to look she'd turn her head". You can compensate for that by increasing the frustum area to something like 90 degrees.

Thanks for the reply, Basically I just saved a plugin preset with glance and reapplied it in another scene. It comes in with the correct (changed) settings but won't play. I've found that unchecking and rechecking the active box for the plugin made it start to work again. I did check on the use eye target box in the plugin, maybe that's the issue? Thanks for the explanation on how it works. I've got it mostly figured out, but I did run into that issue you mention where if have her looking at me on one side, then go around behind her and come back to the other side, I SHOULD be within the field of view (I even increased it to something like 180 just to try) but she still didn't turn back to me unless I got right in front of her face. Unchecking the box to avoid uncomfortable eye positions seemed to fix this though. Otherwise, I think this will be a better alternative than my synergy setup. I also noticed on scene save and reload I had to do the uncheck and recheck the plugin trick to get it to work properly.

Hi...also, whenever you do get back to this plugin, I was curious if it would be possible to have some variation for the "spacey" target. I believe it currently points to a center point with an adjustable up or down slider. Would it be possible to set an up, down, left, right parameter where it would randomly choose a target within there, and be different for each time it targets the spacey target?

Acid Bubbles updated Glance: Realistic head-driven eye motion with a new update entry:

Glance v2.3.0

- Add a new "None" preset to make it easier to cherry pick targets
- Look at all reflected objects in mirrors (e.g. the person will look at you and other objects through a mirror)
- Move the debug toggle at the top of the UI to make it more accessible, and hide the debug text field unless debug is enabled
- Increase frustum fov to 45 degrees (e.g. the person will look at you a little further on the sides)
- BlinkEnabled toggle and BlinkNow action (in the UI and in storables), useful for...

Read the rest of this update entry...

HI. So I think I have found a bug. I mentioned it before (I think on discord) but will put it here as I have found a way for you to be able to duplicate the issue. When you check the "Use eye TargetControl" box and then save this setup as a plugin preset, it won't load properly when you then load that preset. It then requires you to disable and re-enable the plugin for it to work.

Steps to duplicate issue
Add glance to figure
check the box "Use eye TargetControl" so it is on
save a plugin preset
Remove the plugin from the figure.
Load the plugin preset you saved above. It should now not work.
on the plugins tab of the figure, uncheck the plugin then recheck it. Plugin should now work again.

I like to have it use the eye target control because, combined with MacGruber's gaze, she'll turn her head with the glances, etc.

Regarding the Saccades, I have one suggestion for animating it. I don't want to overstep my bounds and truly love all the work you pugin creators do. So if it's not welcome, feel free to tell me to go pound salt. lol. I notice that the saccades move the actual eye target (if using eye target). When combined with MacGruber's gaze plugin with that also set to use eye target, her head will move with all the eye saccades instead of just the main target she's looking at. When I was animating saccades with the synergy plugin, I used the figure's vertical and horizontal eye offset which doesn't change the actual eye target position but just offsets the eyes from it. This might be a better method for animating the eye saccades which then doesn't impact the gaze plugin. I can send you a scene example if what I wrote doesn't make sense. Otherwise this plugin now makes all the other eye systems obsolete.

Ive noticed today that if I have 'auto-blink' turned off, Glance will still cause the girl to blink when turning. And not only that, but flutter her eyelids rather than just blinking once.

I spent like 5 hours last night thinking it was E-Motion causing it :p But it happens if I disable E-Motion entirely and goes away as soon as I disable Glance as well.

Yeah auto-blink is kind of a "shortcut" to VaM's auto-blink. I could add a separate toggle for "quick turn blink" though if that would help. As for fluttering, I didn't notice, but I'll take a look sometime later :) Thanks!

Yeah auto-blink is kind of a "shortcut" to VaM's auto-blink. I could add a separate toggle for "quick turn blink" though if that would help. As for fluttering, I didn't notice, but I'll take a look sometime later :) Thanks!

I think its the blink call inside DetectHighAngularVelocity, in my opinion if you have 'auto blink' turned off, the plugin shouldn't blink at all. a Quick Turn Blink tick box would work too :p

Acid Bubbles updated Glance: Realistic head-driven eye motion with a new update entry:

Glance v2.4.0

All credits for this update goes to @HAL9001 ! Thanks a lot of the contribution!

- Eyes closed (With max closed morph value) slider
- Configurable max pitch and yaw angles
- Refocus storable for immediate rescan
- GlanceTarget is now fully supported on person atoms, to increase or decrease their individual interest on all nodes
- FocusOnPlayer now locks on player for the maximum gaze time
- Configurable "anti cross-eye distance", requested by...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Back
Top Bottom