• Hello Guest!

We have recently updated our Site Policies regarding the use of Non Commercial content within Paid Content posts. Please read the new policy here.

An offical announcement about this new policy can be read on our Discord.

~The VaMHub Moderation Team
  • Hello Guest!

We posted an announcment regarding upcoming changes to Paid Content submissions.

Please see this thread for more information.

Glance: Realistic head-driven eye motion

Plugins Glance: Realistic head-driven eye motion v5.2.1

Acid Bubbles

Invaluable member
Developer
Featured Contributor
Reactions
Website
github.com
Twitter
acidbubblesanon
Patreon
acidbubbles
Interesting. Conflicted on whether or not this is a better alternative to Dragontale's She's Alive plugin which behaves similarly to this one.

RealGaze you mean? I didn't look at it before, but you're right there's a lot in common. This, Life and a lot of other _excellent_ eye motion plugins are driven by the player and attempt to "give life" to the model. If I had to give an area where Glance makes sense, it's for mocap and animations.

Glance will look back in mirrors, track the player's separate eyes and mouth, allow driving weights to potential look targets to help create a personality, can look at other people and themselves, you can tweak the field of view, it has predictive eye movement based on head rotation, etc. I don't think mine is necessarily _better_, but it was built to do something I couldn't have with existing solutions.

This is where I realized I needed to make my own, it looked fine but it didn't look as realistic as I'd like:

Initially, the model was looking at specific objects based on the closest one in the field of view, not the player, based on head direction. I needed the eyes to behave in a realistic way based on my mocap and animations. For example when I turn my head around, I want the eyes to look where I'm going. Another example is if the model looks in your eyes, and they're excited, they'll have quick looks at your mouths, potentially your hands if you move them in front of the model.

Hopefully that helps clarify what it's for :)

Acid Bubbles updated Glance + Idle scene with facial micromovements with a new update entry:

Glance 1.1.8

- Automatically enable mirrors when possessing
- Hide eye target
- Less strict vertical extremes filter
- Remove saccade from debug eyeline
- Show debug frustrum/lines in gray when there's no active target
- Improved quick turn; will blink faster during quick turn, reduced vertical predictive movement, continuous refocus, avoid locking until quick turn is complete
- The last build(s) didn't behave correctly during quick turn, so it was revamped and it's much better now.
- You can focus eyes...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Acid Bubbles updated Glance: Realistic head-driven eye motion with a new update entry:

Glance 2.0.0

- Feature: Improved UI with sections
- Feature: Add GlanceTarget to objects you want to track
- Feature: Option to disable "unnatural" eye direction to allow focus on very large frusta
- Feature: Increased probability towards center of frustum
- Feature: Dual targets such as eyes will get shorter focus duration but not lower probability
- Feature: Objects entering field of view will be immediately looked at only if they have a higher weight
- Feature: New objects entering field of view now...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Great plugin. I'd like to share my opinion on the shy preset. Looking down that much is more a lack of confidence or being ashamed than being shy. I would see "shy" as looking down for shorter periods, but eye contact is still short. More and faster eye movements down and back with the eye contact.

@checkking you're right, I was going for someone really nervous too rather than just "shy and relax", but I'm sure this could be tweaked more! If you want to share what your preset would be, I could change it if I have to release an update. I'm not saying I'll take it but I'll consider it :) And thanks!

I've read all the available things related to this plugin but this plugin doesn't work properly with the scene I'm using(quite possible I'm doing something wrong)
I have a mocap dance scene on which when I apply the glance plugin and start the dance, the model constantly looks all over the place including my player's eyes, which doesn't look interactive. I tried different settings in the plugin but of no use.
I thought this plugin works in idle mode only but I read your comment that this plugin makes sense for mocap and animations so I think this should work in mocap.
Thank you for your hardwork.

@ViRtualQuala did you figure out settings that work well? While dancing with heavy eye movements, the person can either try very hard to look at something but if the head moves a lot, it's impossible, or the person can just "be in her head" and not look at anything in particular. You can tweak things to make it look better, but you cannot have Glance look at meaningful directions if the head doesn't. Let me know if I'm making no sense :)

@ViRtualQuala did you figure out settings that work well? While dancing with heavy eye movements, the person can either try very hard to look at something but if the head moves a lot, it's impossible, or the person can just "be in her head" and not look at anything in particular. You can tweak things to make it look better, but you cannot have Glance look at meaningful directions if the head doesn't. Let me know if I'm making no sense :)
Yeah, I understand what you are saying. The thing is, the mocap I'm using, has hardly any head movements. That is why I thought only the Glace plugin would be sufficient. But when I apply the plugin the model starts looking all over the place. This is the only plugin I am using so no other plugin also interfering too.🙁

Probably that increasing the frustum could help; or if you want to share the scene (or a video) I could probably better understand what you mean. Usually what drives a re-targeting is when the head moves further than what the eye muscle can withstand... but maybe you're referring to the eye saccade, which can also be adjusted (I made it "wide" by default so it's noticeable)

Hi!
Great plugin, can you add the function of reflexive closing of the eyelids when the object approaches the eyeball.
as in real life, if you try to bring your finger closer to the eye, it will reflexively close!

@kolovef1 On a Person atom, go to the Plugins tab, and add Glance.cs from the .var file. If you have trouble adding plugins or navigating VaM, you can check out the tutorials on getting start with Virt-A-Mate, understanding how it works will make everything much easier :)

我很喜欢这个,但真的很像,我很可爱
The default value where the display is blank after startup, and the drop-down menu is still blank after selection

Last edited:
Hey there, big fan of your plugins!

After a clean install recently, I've been running into a new issue that might be related to what MUMU was describing. Glance seems stop working completely on scene load until the plugin is toggled off then on. A few other things I noticed that might be helpful to pinpoint the issue:
The debug info toggle doesn't display anything in the text box until the plugin is reset.
If use EyeTargetControl is checked, it moves the control to 0,0,0 when loading
Clicking "reload" on the plugin panel doesn't fix it. Only disabling and enabling it actually resets it.

Not sure if this is another case of user error (as I mentioned, I didn't experience the issue before reinstalling VAM) but thought I'd shout it out!

I kept my addonpackages folder when I reinstalled but got rid of all presets and scenes. Not sure if that changes anything, though.

Thanks for all your dev work!

Interesting, maybe it's just because Glance loads before some of the Atom setting, which would revert to Player for example... or Glance doesn't detect any objects, but this should be fine since it should check every few seconds for new objects. Still, that's useful info. I'll try and take a look, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom